What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Your Music Choices and Why??? (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
All I had ever heard when I was a little kid was country music because that’s what my parents’ radio in the house and the car were always tuned to, which I didn’t mind, but it didn’t really do anything for me. For the most part, I didn’t pay any attention to music and it always seemed to just be background noise. Then one day when I was probably about ten years old, my mom was rearranging the living room and had dug a lot of LPs and 8-tracks out of their stereo cabinet. Being curious, I started looking at them and asked my mom who The Beatles were, since I had not heard of them at that point and was looking at the 1968 Hey Jude / Revolution single with a bright green apple printed on the label and the sleeve. She put the single on the turntable for me and played Hey Jude and I was hooked. Things got even better when she showed me how the record player worked and I flipped the single over and played Revolution. I think my brother and I spent the rest of the week rifling through my parents’ collection of LPs, singles, and 8-track tapes, listening to anything and everything.

By the time I got my first cassette player for Christmas of 1986, I was already listening to everything I could find, particularly pop and new wave bands. Transformers The Movie was released to theaters earlier that year and I had fallen in love with Weird Al Yankovic’s song “Dare to Be Stupid” so my parents also got me the Dare to Be Stupid album for Christmas and I think I played it until I wore it out. Listening to Weird Al parody different artists and their music styles led me down different paths to discovering great pop and rock bands that I hadn’t heard of before.

As I grew older and entered junior high, my brother was listening exclusively to glam rock, hard rock, thrash, punk, and heavy metal and he turned me on to artists like Mötley Crüe, Bon Jovi, KISS, Poison, Def Leppard, Anthrax, Metallica, Megadeth, The Misfits, and The Ramones. I had been listening to a little hip hop and rap and really liked what I was hearing when I first listened to Run DMC, Doug E. Fresh, Slick Rick, and the Beastie Boys. Of all the rap I listened to, the Beastie Boys became my favorite group of all time, especially because of albums like Paul’s Boutique, Ill Communication, and Hello Nasty. Lately, I’ve been listening to their Sounds of Science anthology album and had forgotten about Biz Markie performing a cover of Elton John’s “Benny and the Jets” on it. :D

In high school, I began to listen to more rap and discovered gangsta rappers like Ice Cube, NWA, Dr. Dre, and the Geto Boys as well as House of Pain, Cypress Hill, and more hip-hop style like A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, and 3rd Bass. My love of rap early on led me to start listening to nerdcore rap, which I still listen to today - specifically mc chris and LEX the Lexicon Artist. The mainstream grunge movement also started in the early 90s and I was listening to Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, and Alice in Chains.

Later in the mid-90s, one of my best friends who is a few years my junior, got me listening to Eric Clapton, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, and Jimmy Buffett. Better late than never, I suppose. It was also in the mid 90s that I discovered Beck, Oasis, and Weezer - who turned out to be my favorite alternative rock band.

A few years ago, my wife got me to listening to Elvis Presley, especially his work from the ’68 Comeback Special until his death and I usually keep the Aloha from Hawaii album in rotation on my iPhone.

I still listen to the radio from time to time to see what’s current… I like some of Taylor Swift’s new stuff and Billie Eilish gets some air time in my car, but for the most part, all the new singers (especially the guys) are a bit too whiny for my taste.

Now you kids get off my lawn! :laugh:

@Clinton McClure - Dude, this is such a great post!!! I apologize for just getting around to reading it in its entirety tonight. Pretty busy these days...

You LISTENED! That's the only way to actually LEARN.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
@Clinton McClure - Dude, this is such a great post!!! I apologize for just getting around to reading it in its entirety tonight. Pretty busy these days...

You LISTENED! That's the only way to actually LEARN.
Thanks, John. I know long posts are sometimes a slog to get through so I appreciate you reading mine to completion.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Thanks, John. I know long posts are sometimes a slog to get through so I appreciate you reading mine to completion.

They are and also don't come with any guarantee you'll ultimately find the time spent was worthwhile. Like me, I'm sure you've been on both sides of that coin. I've written long posts that didn't go over as intended and also read some with the same conclusion. If there were a better way to learn than [objectively] listening I would sign up in a second. :)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Well, @John Dirk , since one of the pieces I mentioned that seems to have prompted you to start this thread was Mahler's 2nd Symphony, I figured I'd post this excerpt. The full symphony is feature-film length, usually running about 100 minutes, but here's the final 15 minutes or so. I first heard this sometime in High School, and it was a mind expanding experience. I've seen it performed live twice, and a third might be coming in a couple weeks. It's not a small feat to pull this one off, and I doubt I'll ever have the opportunity to experience it how it's truly supposed to be performed, like it is here. BTW, this is Gustavo Dudamel with the Simón Bolivar Youth Orchestra and the National Youth Choir of Great Britain. Youth performers playing one of the most challenging pieces of music ever composed, and doing a hell of a job of it.

Just had the chance to listen to this. It reminds me of my High School days. Wonderful times yet music CAN be more inclusive.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Gershon Kingsley--circa 1969. Because I love the Moog synthesizer, and what he did for it. Jazzy.

Wow! Another Gershon Kingsley (and Jean-Jacques Perrey?) fan! I bought and fell in love with the Perrey & Kingsley albums on Vanguard in the late 60's and still listen to them sometimes. Young kids love this music -- it's so melodic, yet mischievous. And it's still in print. Do your children a favor and play this often humorous electronic pop music for them. This began back in the days before Moog took off as a more serious music form with Walter/Wendy Carlo's "Switched-On Back," and Vangelis and Dick Hyman, etc.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I cannot warm up to hard-core C&W, although mention has been made earlier in the thread that a member developed more appreciation for it upon viewing the Ken Burns doc, which I will try to do. I rarely like rap. But tastes change. The big band music my dad played all the time (as well as his Ray Conniff albums) are now stuff I seek out, although I despised it when young. Probably it just recalls the days when a sense of security fortunate kids like myself experienced while growing up. I love classical now, because it helps me to write, and to relax. Generally I prefer female vocals for popular music and rock and roll. Orchestral movie scores have always appealed to me -- they are the classical music of the modern era, albeit differently structured.

Favorite artists and songs/works over the years include (a small sampling):

CLASSICAL:

DEBUSSY (Tone poems, such as Arabesque #1, Jeux, etc.)
RALPH VAUGHN WILIAMS (Orchestral works such as Fantasia On A Theme By Thomas Tillis, etc.)
SIBELIUS (The Swan of Tuonela, Finlandia, etc.)
RIMSKY-KORSAKOV (Scheherezade, etc.)
GRIEG (Nordic Dances, The Last Spring, etc.)
RESPIGHI (Fountains of Rome, Brazilian Impressions, etc.)

POPULAR & ROCK:

ABBA (Dancing Queen, Another Town, Another Train, Dance (While the Music Still Goes On)
BEATLES (Almost everything between 1965-1967)
BEE GEES (Lamplight, Then You Left Me, I Can't Let You Go, South Dakota Morning, Spirits Having Flown, etc.)
BILLY JOEL (The Downeaster Alexa, Scenes From An Italian Restaurant, etc.)
OLIVIA NEWTON-JOHN (Don't Stop Believing, Come On Over, etc.)
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN (Tougher Than the Rest, Janey Don't You Lose Heart, etc.)
NINO TEMPO AND APRIL STEVENS (Deep Purple)
RONETTES (Be My Baby)
FOUR TOPS (Baby I Need Your Lovin', Walk Away Renee)
THE CARS (Stranger Eyes)
CCR (Bad Moon Rising, Who'll Stop the Rain, etc.)
COLDPLAY (The Hardest Part)
TRAVIS (Turn)
BEACH BOYS (God Only Knows, Don't Worry Baby)
...and on and on...

SOUNDTRACKS:

OUT OF AFRICA, MARY, QUEEN OF SCOTS, THUNDERBALL, LION IN WINTER, etc. (Barry)
THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR, THREE WORLDS OF GULLIVER, 7th VOYAGE OF SINBAD (Herrmann)
WUTHERING HEIGHTS (1970), THREE MUSKETEERS (1974) (Legrand)
CHINATOWN, MEDICINE MAN, STAR TREK TMP, RUDY, WIND AND THE LION, etc. (Goldsmith)
EXODUS, IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD (Gold)
TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, THE GREAT ESCAPE, HEAVY METAL, etc. (Bernstein)
EDWARD SCISSORHANDS, DICK TRACY, BIG FISH, SOMMERSBY, ARTICLE 99 (Elfman)
...and on and on...

Who really gives a s**t what my personal favorites are, anyway? :D

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Wow! Another Gershon Kingsley (and Jean-Jacques Perrey?) fan! I bought and fell in love with the Perrey & Kingsley albums on Vanguard in the late 60's and still listen to them sometimes. Young kids love this music -- it's so melodic, yet mischievous. And it's still in print. Do your children a favor and play this often humorous electronic pop music for them. This began back in the days before Moog took off as a more serious music form with Walter/Wendy Carlo's "Switched-On Back," and Vangelis and Dick Hyman, etc.

Awesome!

His music inspired me to buy my first Moog Synth. I love it, and have been making my new age music since 2006. One of the best purchases I have ever made.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
While sometimes I look for new music simply to enjoy my system (more bass for example), I also find myself continually moving into new genres.

Lately, that includes a lot of world music that straddles the line between electronic and symphonic. If music is particularly complex or interesting, it can be a lot of fun to listen to. Here's my latest discovery that I'm really enjoying:

@John Dirk and @JohnRice and @ManW_TheUncool - worth adding to your demo track list:

Going back in the direction of electronic and interesting music, I have also gotten into wave/darkwave a bit, since some of it can be really fun to listen to. This one is another recent favorite:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
While sometimes I look for new music simply to enjoy my system (more bass for example), I also find myself continually moving into new genres.

Lately, that includes a lot of world music that straddles the line between electronic and symphonic. If music is particularly complex or interesting, it can be a lot of fun to listen to. Here's my latest discovery that I'm really enjoying:

@John Dirk and @JohnRice and @ManW_TheUncool - worth adding to your demo track list:

Going back in the direction of electronic and interesting music, I have also gotten into wave/darkwave a bit, since some of it can be really fun to listen to. This one is another recent favorite:

Craig Padilla is quite reminiscent of Vangelis.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I cannot warm up to hard-core C&W, although mention has been made earlier in the thread that a member developed more appreciation for it upon viewing the Ken Burns doc, which I will try to do.

I don't really listen to older classic C&W, such as what was covered in the early sections of Ken Burns documentary.

I unknowingly started listening to "country music" in the late-1990s, but didn't know it at the time.

I saw a few Shania Twain videos on a rock music channel and thought it sounded like generic rock which was slickly produced. I picked up her then-current album "Come On Over", after I noticed the album producer was "Mutt" Lange. (Lange produced a lot of classic hard rock albums like AC/DC Highway To Hell, Back In Black, etc .... and Def Leppard Pyromania, Hysteria, etc ....).

Slightly later I also saw Faith Hill videos on a rock music channel which also sounded like generic power rock, where I picked up Hill's then-current album "Breathe".

These "pop country" albums from that time period, didn't really sound like classic country music at all. Since then over the past two decades or so, modern country music is almost indistinguishable from generic pop/rock music.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I love all types of music and believe, while necessary, genres can sometimes serve to divide. For that reason I at least sample every track that is recommended to me. This is how I came to love Pink Floyd, [some] Bon Jovi and The Grateful Dead to name a few. If I like a particular song, that's great, I've found something new. If I don't like it, no permanent harm is done and I move on.

I even got @Mike Frezon and @Dave Upton to listen to rap. Still working on @JohnRice but his day will come. :emoji_musical_score::emoji_musical_score::emoji_musical_score:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I never really got heavily into rap, other than the old stuff like Tricky (by rundmc) and maybe some of the old breakdancing music. The last rap album I listened to from start to finish many times, was an n.w.a. album back in the day. After that time, I didn't really follow any music that closely for more than a decade.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I love all types of music and believe, while necessary, genres can sometimes serve to divide. For that reason I at least sample every track that is recommended to me. This is how I came to love Pink Floyd, [some] Bon Jovi and The Grateful Dead to name a few. If I like a particular song, that's great, I've found something new. If I don't like it, no permanent harm is done and I move on.

I even got @Mike Frezon and @Dave Upton to listen to rap. Still working on @JohnRice but his day will come. :emoji_musical_score::emoji_musical_score::emoji_musical_score:
You should have seen my wife's face when she was looking at my song queue in Spotify and saw Snoop Dogg and NWA :D

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I surprised my kids and grandkids by actually liking *one* rap song - "Gangsta's Paradise." Other than that one track I've yet to hear another I'd want to listen to again.

Even though there are several genres I don't like there is always at least a song or two from every genre I've heard that I like and listen to on occasion - even disco. I rely on soundtracks and "best of" type releases for those.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(Without getting into heavily into politics).

The main thing I liked about rap back in the day, was that it was almost like a "newspaper" reporting on stuff from a perspective which wasn't on cnn nor on the 6pm news in those days.

That function has moved online since the internet became popular and ubiquitious over the past 25+ years.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I surprised my kids and grandkids by actually liking *one* rap song - "Gangsta's Paradise." Other than that one track I've yet to hear another I'd want to listen to again.
The key is that you listened. We all like what we like. When someone tells me they dislike something without ever having tried it I feel sorry for them.
Some of the prog metal I like borders on Rap, but Rap in general, that's gonna be a high wall to climb.
Unless you actually enjoy climbing walls I wouldn't aspire to do anything like that. I guess my point was genres are far too varied to be taken at face value, so I just consider them all songs. Unless you reject an entire genre outright, I would bet there are gems across them all for you, just waiting to be discovered.

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I never really got heavily into rap, other than the old stuff like Tricky (by rundmc) and maybe some of the old breakdancing music. The last rap album I listened to from start to finish many times, was an n.w.a. album back in the day. After that time, I didn't really follow any music that closely for more than a decade.

Yep. That was the Golden Era before it became commercialized and began to pander to studios for shock value. I don't care for much of it beyond the 90's either, with rare exceptions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kandids222
Recent bookmarks