What's new

Your Music Choices and Why??? (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Mummer's Dance is from the 1997 album, "The Book of Secrets". I'm not sure why the YouTube clip uses the cover from "The Visit"? But both albums are excellent.

220px-Album_Cover-The_Book_of_Secrets.jpg

McKennitt stopped performing and recording in 1998 after her fiancee, future brother-in-law, and another friend drowned in a boating accident. She returned to performing and recording in 2006 and has released four albums since then.

That's possibly one reason she was not involved in the LOTR project, as that would have been during that same time period when she was taking a hiatus from performing. I don't know if she was approached or not, but she might have declined at the time.

Oh, man, I feel embarrassed. I have listened to the album enough times that I should have known it was from " The Book of Secrets" and not "The Visit".

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
CBC Radio 3 has a nightly show "Nightstream" that showcases old and new Canadian music for anyone who might be interested in checking out the Canadian music scene. I've listened to it a few times. It's not half bad.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
CBC Radio 3 has a nightly show "Nightstream" that showcases old and new Canadian music for anyone who might be interested in checking out the Canadian music scene. I've listened to it a few times. It's not half bad.

(On a tangent).

Back in the day, I use to pick up "regional" or "genre" specific stuff that might have been popular in a particular region, but the artist/band never became superstars outside of their region/genre. (Most of this stuff was cd/vinyl bargain bin fodder).

Besides luck or lack thereof, I suspect the reasons many of these regional/genre specific singers/bands never became superstars was timing (ie. too early or too late) and/or not finding the right "gatekeepers" to market them (ie. record labels who didn't care much, not playing enough concerts, etc ... ).

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
You guys have given me a LOT of stuff to sample. Looking forward to checking it all out. Am I the only one here who loves musicals? I watch [and listen] to My Fair Lady almost annually and never get tired of the songs. Also a big fan of most of the Rogers & Hammerstein catalog.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
You guys have given me a LOT of stuff to sample. Looking forward to checking it all out. Am I the only one here who loves musicals? I watch [and listen] to My Fair Lady almost annually and never get tired of the songs. Also a big fan of most of the Rogers & Hammerstein catalog.

I don't "love" them but there are many of which I do enjoy most of the soundtrack songs (and only 6 or so I'll choose myself to watch). My Fair Lady is a favorite (I was privileged to perform in a production a couple of years back as the tenor 2 in the quartet of "dustbin men" singing "Wouldn't it be Loverly" - one of my favorite songs from the production) as are most Rogers & Hammerstein productions. My Fair Lady is on that short list of musicals I'll choose to watch without someone else prompting. I watch it every year or two. I'm also a huge fan of Paint your Wagon and its score.

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I came to the realization that Def Leppard re-recorded some of their classic songs in 2012 or 2013 which were released online.

It turns out these newer re-recorded versions didn't produce any immediate emotional reaction for me. They seemed "academic" to me.

Like Prince they probably did this to finally own their own masters. I love music but I hate the music "business."

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I listen to music a lot. One of my favorite past times. I am drawn to the music of my youth which is generally classic rock but I can appreciate and enjoy all kinds of music. I

I'm similarly motivated. I suspect most are. We just come from different experiences and environments in our youth.

I recently read an article online that somewhat corroborates what Jcroy is saying. It attempted to explain why every generation ultimately decides that the music of today "all sounds the same" and why they "don't make them like they used to." If I get motivated enough I will try to find it and post the link.

I hope you will. I'd like to read it.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Well, as to the why part of the question...I have been inspired by music from the time I was born and perhaps before that as my parents were always playing music and both have wide and varied tastes. My grandparents loved music as well. So, it was always there for me and I just can't imagine life without it. I do think to some extent there is a genetic imprint aspect to it but I can only say I need to be around it and I need it in my life. It is like a drug for me. A total and complete addiction.

So, I feel like I was always aware of music and it always made me feel things. To go to the beginning for me though, I think I was 2 or 3 and I became aware of what a record was. And there were record collections in the houses I was in. So, I would make my way over to them and flip through them. At that age I really would primarily be attracted to the images on the covers but I can still recall hearing this as a tiny child as the song that made me aware that there was music filling a room...

Now as this played I can sort of recall I thought the notes were just there, I mean actually touchable things floating in the air. I also think I got physically upset when the song ended because I was still trying to get my little paws on the sounds I thought I could actually touch. Things would only get worse.

As I became able to read, which was not long after, the words and names on the covers of the records began to attract me. It was names of blues players that first caught my little eyes. Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, John Lee Hooker...these names fascinated me. So, no surprise when my little hands shoved a 45 at my father to get him to play this...

He said as it began my eyes grew wide and as the song kicked in my head leaned back as if I was just falling into the song.

Blues remains for me to this day something I just never tire of or can get enough of.

From there I was off, just listening to everything I could. Blues, Rock, Classical, Jazz, Folk, country, I wanted and needed to sample it all.

I went to hundreds of concerts, had all sorts of musical experiences, learned to play some piano before turning to the guitar, simply because I could take that anywhere.

Now, I still listen. Still pick up the guitar. I sadly don't really go looking for new groups or music much anymore and I only attend a concert 4 or 5 times a year always swearing I will go more. There is a lot of music in my head. It will take a long time to sort of lay that out.

Beautiful. Thank You so much!

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Here's something a little off the wall that I really groove to sometimes. It requires a proper subwoofer to fully appreciate. Think "Tron: Legacy" meets 80's film score meets metal, I present, Dance With The Dead:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
[USER=327429]@John Rice

That Lacuna Coil song kicked some ass. I'm trying to think who they remind me of.[/USER]
Maybe Evanescence?

OK, a huge part of my listening for a long, long time has been various types of Prog Rock. I love the stuff. And the more musical metal. So, one of my favorite genres is Prog Metal. Think Dream Theater, Tool, etc. There are a lot of excellent Prog and Metal bands around Europe, who aren't very well known stateside. A lot of them are not from English speaking countries, but most of them sing in English. Lacuna Coil, for example, is Italian, but they've only ever written one song in Italian.

Europe has some really interesting spins on music that just isn't allowed in the US. Like, dual, male and female lead singers, such as in Lacuna Coil.

You have Operatic Metal, like Nightwish, and their former lead singer Tarja Turunen, who has formed a band under her own name.

There's more Symphonic Metal, like Within Temptation. Performing live with a chorus and orchestra. Within Temptation is probably the happiest Metal you'll ever see anywhere. Fans throw stuffed animals on the stage during concerts.

And there's a modern version of classic Yes/Genesis style Prog Rock like Magenta.

Who do big and dramatic...

...and small.

These are a big part of the current and recent music I listen to.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Some more of my favorite Prog Metal, from this side of the pond this time.

Dream Theater's "A Dramatic Turn of Events" is great for cranking, and a great way to exploit a sound system.

And, you have to have some Tool.

...who also did a version of Zeppelin's "No Quarter" that's so good, Zeppelin never had any idea how good it could be. Dark and minimalist. Great stuff.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
The Mummer's Dance is from the 1997 album, "The Book of Secrets". I'm not sure why the YouTube clip uses the cover from "The Visit"? But both albums are excellent.

220px-Album_Cover-The_Book_of_Secrets.jpg

McKennitt stopped performing and recording in 1998 after her fiancee, future brother-in-law, and another friend drowned in a boating accident. She returned to performing and recording in 2006 and has released four albums since then.

That's possibly one reason she was not involved in the LOTR project, as that would have been during that same time period when she was taking a hiatus from performing. I don't know if she was approached or not, but she might have declined at the time.
I always like the single version of The Mummer's Dance better than the album version.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
All I had ever heard when I was a little kid was country music because that’s what my parents’ radio in the house and the car were always tuned to, which I didn’t mind, but it didn’t really do anything for me. For the most part, I didn’t pay any attention to music and it always seemed to just be background noise. Then one day when I was probably about ten years old, my mom was rearranging the living room and had dug a lot of LPs and 8-tracks out of their stereo cabinet. Being curious, I started looking at them and asked my mom who The Beatles were, since I had not heard of them at that point and was looking at the 1968 Hey Jude / Revolution single with a bright green apple printed on the label and the sleeve. She put the single on the turntable for me and played Hey Jude and I was hooked. Things got even better when she showed me how the record player worked and I flipped the single over and played Revolution. I think my brother and I spent the rest of the week rifling through my parents’ collection of LPs, singles, and 8-track tapes, listening to anything and everything.

By the time I got my first cassette player for Christmas of 1986, I was already listening to everything I could find, particularly pop and new wave bands. Transformers The Movie was released to theaters earlier that year and I had fallen in love with Weird Al Yankovic’s song “Dare to Be Stupid” so my parents also got me the Dare to Be Stupid album for Christmas and I think I played it until I wore it out. Listening to Weird Al parody different artists and their music styles led me down different paths to discovering great pop and rock bands that I hadn’t heard of before.

As I grew older and entered junior high, my brother was listening exclusively to glam rock, hard rock, thrash, punk, and heavy metal and he turned me on to artists like Mötley Crüe, Bon Jovi, KISS, Poison, Def Leppard, Anthrax, Metallica, Megadeth, The Misfits, and The Ramones. I had been listening to a little hip hop and rap and really liked what I was hearing when I first listened to Run DMC, Doug E. Fresh, Slick Rick, and the Beastie Boys. Of all the rap I listened to, the Beastie Boys became my favorite group of all time, especially because of albums like Paul’s Boutique, Ill Communication, and Hello Nasty. Lately, I’ve been listening to their Sounds of Science anthology album and had forgotten about Biz Markie performing a cover of Elton John’s “Benny and the Jets” on it. :D

In high school, I began to listen to more rap and discovered gangsta rappers like Ice Cube, NWA, Dr. Dre, and the Geto Boys as well as House of Pain, Cypress Hill, and more hip-hop style like A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, and 3rd Bass. My love of rap early on led me to start listening to nerdcore rap, which I still listen to today - specifically mc chris and LEX the Lexicon Artist. The mainstream grunge movement also started in the early 90s and I was listening to Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, and Alice in Chains.

Later in the mid-90s, one of my best friends who is a few years my junior, got me listening to Eric Clapton, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, and Jimmy Buffett. Better late than never, I suppose. It was also in the mid 90s that I discovered Beck, Oasis, and Weezer - who turned out to be my favorite alternative rock band.

A few years ago, my wife got me to listening to Elvis Presley, especially his work from the ’68 Comeback Special until his death and I usually keep the Aloha from Hawaii album in rotation on my iPhone.

I still listen to the radio from time to time to see what’s current… I like some of Taylor Swift’s new stuff and Billie Eilish gets some air time in my car, but for the most part, all the new singers (especially the guys) are a bit too whiny for my taste.

Now you kids get off my lawn! :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks