What's new

The Great HTF Music Challenge (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
OK - Your mission [should you choose to accept it] is twofold.

• Submit a selection or two from your favorite genre along with an explanation of what makes it [them] special to you.
  • Watch this thread for selections submitted by others from genres [or just songs] you are currently unfamiliar with. Listen to them and share your thoughts.
Simple enough, right? In the spirit of this thread the goal here is to learn about other genres and tastes. The goal is NOT to challenge or change anyone's views or preferences and, with that in mind, all comments should be constructive and not judgmental or inflammatory. If you like a song that's great. If you don't like a song, that is perfectly fine as your comments could still be equally informative.

I enjoy many forms of music but my first submissions will be from the Rap Genre.

I love this song because it is positive and expresses views men are generally reticent to discuss. Whodini was also one of the first rap groups [along with RUN-DMC] to fuse rap and rock, thus attracting a whole new fanbase.

This song shines a light on a phenomenon that was relevant in 1996 when it was released and remains so today, the lack of originality and self respect in the industry and pandering for mass appeal. There was a day when rap artists created thoughtful and inspired content, before the days of formulas and templates designed to maximize sales at all costs. The lyrics here are cutting edge, even by todays standards and the song is nearly 25 years old. By comparison, much of todays rap music relies on shock value instead of true writing ability to generate sales.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
One of my favorite sub-genres of rock music is 'psychedelic rock' from the late 60s and early 70s. A couple of fairly well known examples include:

and

(Love the Rolling Stones video. Very creative.)

The unconventional nature of the music and the general aesthetic have always appealed to me. The music feels less 'predictable' when compared to a lot of popular music.

- Walter.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
One of my favorite sub-genres of rock music is 'psychedelic rock' from the late 60s and early 70s. A couple of fairly well known examples include:

and

The unconventional nature of the music and the general aesthetic have always appealed to me. The music feels less 'predictable' when compared to a lot of popular music.

- Walter.

Thanks @Walter Kittel for offering up these selections. Did you listen to mine? Part of the fun is hearing your comments. Mine are below.

Pictures of Matchstick Men:

I wasn't able to make any sense of this track. Is it considered "psychedelic rock" for obvious reasons? It kind of reminded me of some of the music from the Austin Powers films and definitely had a festive, 60's vibe. It was a pleasant experience though definitely not anything I would revisit.

2000 Light Years From Home:

I liked this one but that's no surprise as I like other music from the Rolling Stones. It has a catchy beat and nice, mellow vocals that make it an easy listen for me. The video was very creative indeed, especially considering it was created in 1967.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Thanks @Walter Kittel for offering up these selections. Did you listen to mine? Part of the fun is hearing your comments. Mine are below.

Hey John, yes I did listen to your selections. I'm not the biggest rap aficionado ( old white guy here. :) ) but I do like RUN-DMC quite a bit and a good work friend turned me on to the The Beastie Boys. (Love Paul's Boutique with the insane amount of creative sampling present on that album.) I haven't heard of either of the groups you posted. Of the two songs, I preferred What They Do due to the melody which I thought was very effective. I don't listen to a lot of rap music, but either creative word play or strong accompanying melodies are present in the music from that genre that I seek out. (Sometimes my exposure to a group or song is via a film or television program and I'll seek out those selections that hold my interest. FX's Snowfall has exposed me to some rap I might not have otherwise heard, for instance.)

You couldn't make sense of the lyrics on Pictures of Matchstick Men, well there you go - psychedelic rock. :)

- Walter.

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Hey John, yes I did listen to your selections. I'm not the biggest rap aficionado ( old white guy here. :)

Hey Walter - That's exactly the point of this thread. Since this isn't your typical fare, your comments and observations are most interesting. Thanks for sharing them.

A [perhaps] little known fact about Rap music is that it has always been overwhelmingly more popular with young middle class white males . Black people create the majority of it but have never been the largest demographic on the consumer end.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
So I love this idea - good one John! I plan to hang out here a lot! I'm going to start by saying that my favorite genres are many but probably the most listened to are:

Classic Rock
New Wave 80s
Blues
Progressive Rock
R&B/Soul/Motown
Classic C&W/Outlaw Country
Ambient

So that said....I'm going to start with roots rock/Americana. I know, I know I didn't even include it in the list. I've been dabbling quite a bit in roots rock/Americana/rockabilly and one of the absolute gems for me is The Mavericks. Here are two that I can listen to over and over and over.....

"Back in Your Arms Again"

They also did an album of all covers and this song is great which checks two boxes - Americana and Outlaw Country!

"Are You Sure Hank Done it this Way?"

I absolutely love the horns, the vocals, the rootsy feel this music brings.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
@ChristopherG - Thanks. I'm eager to learn about other genres and songs. I look forward to at least sampling everything presented here and your selections will be on tap for tonight. Remember, the challenge is twofold, so you should also listen to some selections presented by others and add your comments. Hopefully we'll have a burgeoning list soon.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Was that a bong at the 1:23 mark in the 'Are You Sure Hank Done it this Way?" video? :)

Not familiar with The Mavericks but those were fairly entertaining videos. The second one was a lot flashier and had a sense of humor about it that I enjoyed. Pretty much always enjoy bands that feature horns and I think that definitely added to the performance.

- Walter.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris

and

- Walter.

I am also a fan and have listened to both of these songs many a time. The Status Quo song has been covered by a couple of others successfully in my opinion. 2000 light years from home for me is a great track and Their Satanic Majesties' Request was a great album that unfortunately for the Stones was not very well received at the time due to the perception that they were trying to compete with The Beatles SPLHCB....good luck with that.

I do like psychedelic rock and will offer a up a couple of my favorites:

Something actually not that old from 1985 "25 O'Clock" from The Dukes of Stratosphere (a shootoff of XTC)

And a Song from The Nazz (Todd Rundgren's first successful band) "Open My Eyes"

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I am also a fan and have listened to both of these songs many a time. The Status Quo song has been covered by a couple of others successfully in my opinion. 2000 light years from home for me is a great track and Their Satanic Majesties' Request was a great album that unfortunately for the Stones was not very well received at the time due to the perception that they were trying to compete with The Beatles SPLHCB....good luck with that.
Agreed. I think it is a very unique time capsule sort of album that stands apart from a lot of the Stones' other material. It holds up remarkably well for me.

- Walter.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
OK - Your mission [should you choose to accept it] is twofold.

• Submit a selection or two from your favorite genre along with an explanation of what makes it [them] special to you.
  • Watch this thread for selections submitted by others from genres [or just songs] you are currently unfamiliar with. Listen to them and share your thoughts.
Simple enough, right? In the spirit of this thread the goal here is to learn about other genres and tastes. The goal is NOT to challenge or change anyone's views or preferences and, with that in mind, all comments should be constructive and not judgmental or inflammatory. If you like a song that's great. If you don't like a song, that is perfectly fine as your comments could still be equally informative.

I enjoy many forms of music but my first submissions will be from the Rap Genre.

I love this song because it is positive and expresses views men are generally reticent to discuss. Whodini was also one of the first rap groups [along with RUN-DMC] to fuse rap and rock, thus attracting a whole new fanbase.

This song shines a light on a phenomenon that was relevant in 1996 when it was released and remains so today, the lack of originality and self respect in the industry and pandering for mass appeal. There was a day when rap artists created thoughtful and inspired content, before the days of formulas and templates designed to maximize sales at all costs. The lyrics here are cutting edge, even by todays standards and the song is nearly 25 years old. By comparison, much of todays rap music relies on shock value instead of true writing ability to generate sales.

Ok - so I listened to both tracks and enjoyed them both. Nice that Whodini names drops AND quotes the Beatles...

I would say I enjoyed The Roots track the most though. Just a great groove going on there as always. I like that both of the tracks in their individual ways are positive messages. Although I don't listen to much of it, my perception is that a lot of new Rap music is not necessarily that way - bear in mind I'm a 61 year old white guy who damaged his hearing with loud rock and roll...

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
So I love this idea - good one John! I plan to hang out here a lot! I'm going to start by saying that my favorite genres are many but probably the most listened to are:

Classic Rock
New Wave 80s
Blues
Progressive Rock
R&B/Soul/Motown
Classic C&W/Outlaw Country
Ambient

So that said....I'm going to start with roots rock/Americana. I know, I know I didn't even include it in the list. I've been dabbling quite a bit in roots rock/Americana/rockabilly and one of the absolute gems for me is The Mavericks. Here are two that I can listen to over and over and over.....

They also did an album of all covers and this song is great which checks two boxes - Americana and Outlaw Country!

I absolutely love the horns, the vocals, the rootsy feel this music brings.

Oh I really like this one for several reasons.
  • It's instantly relatable
  • It has a natural sound and feel which is missing in most of todays computer-generated songs.
  • You can tell these guys really loved doing this together. Good bands always feed off of each other and that was apparent here.
  • They featured an accordion! How cool is that!!!

I REALLY like this group. They have fun with their songs and clearly love what they do. The musical quality is also top notch. Real musicians are a dying breed. I do feel like a bit of inside knowledge [which I lack] was required to fully appreciate the lyrics but that's all good.

I can see why you enjoy these songs. Thanks for sharing!

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
25 O'Clock

OK - It's official. I don't really understand this genre. Is 25 O'Clock referring to a death theme or am I reading too much into it. That aside, there was clearly some intricate guitar work happening here, which I appreciate.

Open My Eyes

If I didn't know better I would have thought this was either the Beetles or the Monkees. It has a very 60's British sound. I like the basic tune but, again, can't make any sense of the lyrics. I'm starting to think maybe with this type of music the emphasis simply isn't on the lyrics and you should just relax and enjoy the music. Am I right?

Last edited:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'm starting to think maybe with this type of music the emphasis simply isn't on the lyrics and you should just relax and enjoy the music. Am I right?

That's probably a good idea. Honestly, for a lot of this type of music it is the mood that it sets, the general aesthetic, and the overall sound. (At least for me, with some exceptions.) Remember in the good old days, when there were albums; they were often accompanied by lyrics on separate sheet or printed on the album cover, so you didn't have to attempt to discern them from the audio track. It made things a bit easier.

The artist most responsible for my attraction to this sub-genre of rock is Jimi Hendrix. I had a really good high school friend, who along with his older brothers, turned me on to a lot of great Rock and Roll; Hendrix, Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin, to name a few. But the one that has always stuck with me the most is Hendrix. Mostly for the sound which, at the time, was unlike anything I'd ever heard. But this is also about lyrics, and thought that Hendrix really painted some wonderful imagery with some of his lyrics.

If you can just get your mind together
Then come on across to me
We'll hold hands, and then we'll watch the sunrise
From the bottom of the sea

And the classic

Not necessarily stoned, but beautiful

In terms of lyrics, one of my favorite Hendrix songs is...

- Walter.

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
That's probably a good idea. Honestly, for a lot of this type of music it is the mood that it sets, the general aesthetic, and the overall sound. (At least for me, with some exceptions.) Remember in the good old days, when there were albums; they were often accompanied by lyrics on separate sheet or printed on the album cover, so you didn't have to attempt to discern them from the audio track. It made things a bit easier.

The artist most responsible for my attraction to this sub-genre of rock is Jimi Hendrix. I had a really good high school friend, who along with his older brothers, turned me on to a lot of great Rock and Roll; Hendrix, Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin, to name a few. But the one that has always stuck with me the most is Hendrix. Mostly for the sound which, at the time, was unlike anything I'd ever heard. But this is also about lyrics, and thought that Hendrix really painted some wonderful imagery with some of his lyrics.

If you can just get your mind together
Then come on across to me
We'll hold hands, and then we'll watch the sunrise
From the bottom of the sea

And the classic

Not necessarily stoned, but beautiful

In terms of lyrics, one of my favorite Hendrix songs is...

- Walter.

Thanks Walter - Many years ago I attended a laser show with some friends and remember music that would probably fit into this genre playing throughout. It's interesting for me to think of music containing lyrics in a passive way.

When I listen to music while doing other things, I often lose my concentration because I find myself subconsciously focusing on the music. I'm also the type of guy who "rewinds" a TV show to make sure I heard the dialogue completely or even to observe the mannerisms of the actors interactions with each other. I guess you could say, I'm extremely detail oriented.

Thanks for sharing the Hendrix track. I admittedly know nothing of his music and always thought of him as an incredible guitarist because that's what I'd always heard. You see, there's just so much to discover!

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I LOVE the idea behind this challenge! (Although the LAST thing I need is to find MORE music to buy...)

I was SO lucky to grow up during a time when "Top 40" radio actually played a really diverse selection of music. You could listen for an hour and hear Foreigner, ABBA, Dolly Parton, Rush, Queen, Charlie Daniels, Stevie Wonder...the list was ENDLESS! My parents were "Depression Era" age, so we heard a lot of Big Band, Jazz and Classical from them. As I grew older, New Wave/Alternative was my thing, then later Club music (even fulfilling my dream of being a club DJ for about seven years). Later, satellite radio and the internet exposed me to pop music from the UK/Europe and Scandinavia.

My iTunes library currently has 36K+ songs in it (and still growing) so get ready to hear some diverse stuff when I start posting!

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i still dunno what the lyrics are, i never am very good at the actual lyrics or know what they mean but i love the actual music itself. this isn't my normal genre... but i am a huge consumer of multichannel music and this track:

from the worst of quad album is amazing. they throw the vocals to the left rear and it's just astonishing. some people dont like it cause it's gimmicky maybe? but anytime musicans experiment with multichannel music, they have my vote!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks