What's new

xBox or PS3? Plus...what to buy?.....etc! (2 Viewers)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Goddamn! You´re right!

GC 2008: PSP-3000, 160GB PS3, PS3 keypad unveiled - News at GameSpot

"Reeves quickly wheeled to the subject of a new 160GB PS3, which will touch down in Europe on October 31. Priced at €449, the new console SKU will come with 70 euros' worth of "additional downloadable" content that will vary from country to country. Reeves offered no information about its release in other territories."

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Interesting. Like I said earlier, most games available on both (PS3/Xbox 360) formats have been more-or-less identical (some graphic/frame rate-differences are possible, though), but perhaps in the future, some PS3-versions will use more capacity and due that extra capacity, have exclusive content and "better" graphics. Hard to say for sure now (the game studios have just began to "learn" how to use that potential with PS3..).

Sony has stated, that like with PS2, PS3 has also (roughly) "10 year"-plan (which Blu-ray-disc will easily provide - the capacity is there). I´m not sure, that can you say the same thing with Xbox 360 (perhaps new, improved version will arrive sooner than people think?). At least I would say, that it´s more likely to see a new "Xbox" in the coming years than the new "PS"... IMO.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
2002, Ph.D. at The Institute of Optics. Duncan Moore was my thesis advisor.

I don't get to campus much, but I keep telling myself I should keep contact with the department better. Optics is a small world, and you'll run into your classmates professionally over the years.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The unfortunate thing is that it's irrelevant. The Wii (nor Wii Fit) can't be bought. At the grand opening of our new Circuit City last week, they had four. I almost got one. But I though, aha!, the shortage is over, the Wii is available now. The next day they were all gone and CC has been out of stock since. Best Buy hasn't had a Wii on a Sunday in months.

I used to be a big-N gamer. I loved the N64. My roommate and I had an ongoing battle for top 1080 scores. Rogue Squadron was superb. Turok II was amazing. Jet Force Gemini is still tops in aesthetics, design, and gameplay. And Beetle Adventure Racing -- what a fun racing game!

But the GameCube just wasn't the same for me. In part, tastes and interest ebb and flow.

As for the Wii... Mario Galaxy is cool. It's almost a system seller for me. But I finished only a third of Mario Sunshine, so I wonder how much I'd do in Galaxy. The Fit is neato, but unavailable so I can't assume we'd get that. And after that, I'm not sure. My wife's sister's family has one, and they love it; the daughters have a great time with the games. But I'm no longer a 14 year old girl..er...boy.

The PS3 looks like the "future" bet. Next Gen, blu-ray, user-upgradable HD, low failure rate. But it's $550+ for two player system. :eek: Single in an apartment, sure. Married in a house, not so sure.

I'm curious about the rumored $299 60GB 360 on Sept 7. With such strong rumors, I won't buy immediately (I planned to buy a system tomorrow). If the Wii remains unavailable, that may be the best compromise purchase.

On a related note: does the PS3 have online games to purchase? An appeal of the Xbox are the original online games for demo and purchase.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Yes. They´ve some new, "online exclusives" (most are in 1080p), like "Calling All Cars!", "flOw", "LocoRoco Cocoreccho!" (PSP version also available, I guess), "Super Rub 'a' Dub", "Super Stardust HD", "Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection"... - and some old "PS1"-games ("PSOne Classics"). They´ve also some "PSP"-games (well, you need also "PSP", so...). Of course the usual PS3 (and PSP) demos are available. There are also some "downloadable content" with certain games (e.g. "Warhawk", "CoD4", etc - mainly new online maps, though).

Full list:
List of PlayStation Network games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(see also: PlayStation Store - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

Most of those (newer) games are a bit "smaller" (and some more "kiddie-friendly"), but still offer some good fun (some support also online-play). Since they´re in 1080p, most of them look *good* (PS1 games of course are still using standard resolution - but they can be "upscaled".. ;) ).

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
My Costco seems to get Wiis in most often. Now that my son is 3 I'm seriously considering picking one up. (If I want to wave my arms around now I can play Eye Toy Kinetic.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Actually it was listed in the "full list" (post #168), but yes, it was missing from the "coming"-list (post #188). Now added.

For some weird reason, I´ve actually missed "God of War" and "God of War II" in PS2, but I have "God of War: Chains of Olympus" in PSP...

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
DaveF, really? In optics? Wow, the world IS small, isn't it. There were only 16 grads this year, which is bigger than the last couple ones.

Oh, and in regards to downloadable content. The 360 has a mix of new games and old ones (mostly 80s arcade games, games for the original XBox, and cheapy little games), the PS3 gets an eclectic mix (PSOne games, original games, and cheapy games), while the Wii has the best theme for it's selection (games previously available on Nintendo consoles, plus new games via WiiWare).

And if anyone's paying attention, supposedly a demo for The Force Unleashed came out today for X-Box Live and PSN.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Here´s one example, where PS3-version has a clear edge over the Xbox 360/Wii (PS3-version will be released in November, 2008):
Alone in the Dark Hands On - Page 1 // PS3 /// Eurogamer - Games Reviews, News and More

This is not all bad news for Xbox 360, though:

"But 360 owners of Alone in the Dark, at least, need not feel completely hard done by. Eden has confirmed that it is working on a patch which will implement most of the changes that have been made to the upcoming PS3 version. It wasn't completely clear on exactly what would and wouldn't be tweaked or fixed, but it's fairly safe to assume that the control, camera, inventory and driving changes will all be taken care of."

It seems, that Xbox 360/Wii-versions were a bit "rushed" with this game.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You point is well made. In fact, I'm breaking one of my newer shopping rules with this: follow the herd. I've found with purchases like this, doing what everyone else is doing can be a good tactic.
If the Wii were immediately available, I'd really consider getting one first -- despite my initial disinterest -- thinking that many people can't be all wrong.

Morgan -- if you're working in the Rochester area, PM me. Re: downloads, I missed many of the great S/NES games in my childhood, so it's tempting. Except everytime over the years I've tried retro gaming, within 10 minutes I re-discover that fond memories are best left undisturbed ;) and give up on retro gaming for another 5 years. So the Wii downloads aren't that appealing yet.

Xbox seems to have a few gems (Geometry Wars, looks fun). The PS3 network seems to have a bit better good-to-junk ratio than the 360.

So what I've gathered is...

Wii - The family favorite. The best gaming system for non-gamers and former gamers who, as adults, don't have much time to spare. Also good for gamers who need SAF. The most affordable of the systems. Seems to lose appeal quickly with traditional gamers. Classic Nintendo, etc. games for online purchase and a small but developing library of new games for download. A lousy online match-making system but good actual online gaming.

PS3 - The most next-gen of the systems, for traditional (and hard-core) gamers. Could have the best technical aspects (i.e. graphics) for the next few years. Sports a Blu Ray player, mitigating cost if you need one. But also the most expensive at about $500, for starters. The weakest online gaming system, but is expected to improve. Lots of promise, but it's still just promise.

Xbox 360 - First next-gen, largest game library, and positioned for the traditional gamer. Making belated moves to the "casual gamer". Possibly getting a bit long in the tooth compared to the PS3, but priced $150 (maybe $200 soon) less than the PS3. Currently has the best online system for buying and playing.

If you're a family, buy a Wii. If you're a traditional gamer, check your wallet. If it's got $300, buy the 360. If it's got $500, buy the PS3

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Dave, for what it is, the Wii is a good machine. It certainly has the Nintendo "charm" one comes to associate with their products and the hardware is solidly built. The control system is innovative and intuitive and there are some cool first-party titles that show it off to great advantage. The Wii has much promise, but the hardware has limitations (STORAGE!) Over time for me, these limitations began to take away from my enjoyment of playing the Wii. It's not "buyers remorse," but more of a feeling of disappointment about what the Wii could have been if Nintendo didn't make some of the design choices they made. Don't get me wrong, there's a LOT to like about the Wii, but a "giant killer' it ain't...

As always, YMMV, and I'm sure there are tons of Wii owners who are not put off by what I perceive to be as hardware limitations. So, take my comments with a grain of salt.

With regards to Wii availability, both best Buy and Circuit City will have it in their Sunday flyer (8/24.) I don't know about Toys R Us, but they also tend to get it in stock when the other big-box stores do. Target is not featuring it in their ad. This advertising pattern seems to repeat about once each month, so Wii supplies are becoming more plentiful.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Wiis also tend to show up in GameStops (at least in my area) around the same time they arrive in the big-box stores. Of course, I have 4 GameStops in a 1/2-mile stretch of road near my house and they tend to have widely varying selections.

I think DaveF's last summary statement pretty much says it all.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'll definitely look for stock this weekend. I'm tempted to get one -- go with the herd. But each time I play the Wii, I end with a sense of "so, that's OK, but I won't miss it." When I played Burnout 3 last year on my friend's XBox, I had the sense of "how do I steal his xbox without him noticing?"
I guess I wonder what I'm missing that so many others love?

I suppose I'm tired of Nintendo's "charm". Maybe it's 10 years with the N64 and GameCube, but it's 2008: I want more from characters than cartoony looks and subtitled bippy-boopy voices.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

"So many others" = "non-gamer mass market." It's very easy for people who aren't into video games to pick up; thus it achieved crossover success.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

This is probably true for many people.

For many, game console is also a minor "investment". It´s not, that you want to buy another one after 3-4 years or something (meaning mainly those, who´ll buy "only" that one console). "Cheapest" is not always the best choice for everybody. E.g. Wii now lacks a proper hard drive, HD graphics (and due that, it´s missing many great games) and many "mature"-games also (granted, it´s great for the younger ones). Sure, it´s good and innovate NOW, but not sure about after 5 - let alone 10 years..

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Nintendo keeps trying to emphasize that the Wii is not a next-gen console but rather a new-gen one that doesn't directly compete with the 360 and PS3. They also admitted that they're focusing more on new and non-traditional gamers, but they are also working on new games in their staple franchises (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pikmin, etc.).

The Virtual Console on the Wii is not only good for replaying old games that you love, but also old games that you never got to play. I've bought about a dozen games from the VC, only 3 of which I had owned before.

Regarding the Wii's stock issues, Nintendo has actually scaled back it's advertising of the Wii (focusing more on the games and DS) because they felt they were wasting money by advertising something that is nearly impossible to find in stores.

The experience you're having might have to do with the "party" games on the Wii. Try playing Metroid Prime 3, Zelda: Twilight Princess, or Mario Galaxy and see how you like those. Personally, MP3 has the BEST control system for any FPS ever, Zelda is a top-notch AAA-title, and Mario Galaxy moves the 3-D platforming genre in a brand new direction (it's pretty much the direct sequel to Mario 64). Granted, the graphical limitations and "target" audience might not lend the system to games like Burnout Paradise, but some of the games on the Wii are definitely worth playing.

But yeah, I'm also waiting for Nintendo to somehow increase the on-board storage issue. It's probably the single worst aspect of the console right now.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Amen! This is especially true when you start loading up on VC (virtual console) games, WiiWare and the various channels available. I stopped buying anything because I'm running out of room. Also, as much as I LOVE the concept of the virtual console, it drives me crazy that with such an incredible game library at their disposal, Nintendo can barely get out more than one title a week, and then it's some crud Sega Master System game that no one remembers or played in the first place...

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The fact that you can delete downloaded content and then redownload later without paying again on the Wii is nice, but this is also the case for the PS3 and I'm sure the 360 has something similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks