What's new

xBox or PS3? Plus...what to buy?.....etc! (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've played some Galaxy, and it's a neat game. I enjoyed the first half of Metroid Prime on the GC, but got distracted from it. (I've also played some Big Brain Academy. Gah! It was like that nightmare where you find yourself repeating fifth grade because you can't graduate college without it!)

I fired up the GC today, played 30 min of SSX tricky, and lamented having no skillz from not playing it in 2 years. And I reflected on the appeal of the Wii: more pick-up and play games for duffers. The appeal of "casual" games is real.

Honestly, I want both. I want a Wii for the light gaming, for a little Mario, and possibly gaming with friends. And I want a 360 for Burnout and maybe Fallout or whatever, and for HD sexiness when I buy a new TV next year. But I can't spend $1000 on two systems
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Michael G Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Isn't the 360 getting a price drop next month? or has it already happened?

BestBuy had a nice package a couple weeks ago with the 40gb PS3 and 2 games for $399. Can't remember which games - but I am holding out for the next package deal.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I was tempted to buy a Wii again this weekend (but decided that my son watches too much TV as it is -- he's addicted to Wheels On The Bus). None in FYE (where I have a gift card), but Costco had a few Super Smash Bros. bundles (Wii + Wii Play/ Wiimote + extra Nunchuk + SSB + GameCube controller for $370), and the mall GameStop not only had Wiis in stock, they had two USED Wiis (for $229)!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Off topic a bit, but why is the PS3 MGS4 bundle $499, when the PS3 is $399 and MGS4 is $55? It seems like a ripoff; what am I missing?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The PS3 in the MGS Bundle has features the other PS3 model does not:

SACD playback

Backwards compatibility with PS2 games

Four vs. two USB ports

Card media slots for CompactFlash, SmartMedia and Memory Stick

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Interesting. Maybe I'm not reading carefully enough, but they really hide those differences on the packaging and store descriptions.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yeah, I've been relying on the table in the Wikipedia entry for the PS3 to compare the features.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Also, the MGS4 bundle has a Dualshock3 controller instead of a Sixaxis. That, with the added features and bigger HDD makes up the price difference.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The new 80GB is priced at $399; it's in stock at local stores.

Let me tell you what, I liked it better when I was a kid and there were only two consoles and they didn't change from launch date for the next five years. Dealing with three console systems, two of which evolve chronically like normal computers, is just annoying.

Make a kit, sell it, and don't confuse me with these excessive choices. (Where's a cranky old man smiley, when you need one?
)

Michael G Jones

Stunt Coordinator
no kidding. If you don't stay on top of this, it is down right confusing.
My ps2 is like new, hooked up via component to the lcd tv. Do I really need a PS3 that is backward compatible....it would be nice, one less piece of equipment hooked up. I haven't seen any price change here but I haven't been to the stores in awhile.

Michael G Jones

Stunt Coordinator
I just had a chance to stop in at Future Shop during lunch, they have the new 80gb units available for $399, there are a couple of the old 80gb MGS4 bundles left for $499. I was so tempted. While browsing the aisles, is there anything else I need to get when I get the system?
Cooling fan? I have never had one for any gaming system - weren't there problems early on with the systems overheating? I don't keep my systems in cabinets.
Traveling case? $39.99. Nice case which had an ethernet, charge, and 2 stands for controllers
Remote - $24.99 - this one's a given since I'll be primarily using it as the media server and to watch movies
Game - figure I can grab Resistance for $29.99 until GTA4 is on the greatest hits list

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Good choice (not a masterpiece, but a solid action game). You have time to play it through before the "Resistance 2" arrives (November, 08).

5 others to get ASAP:
*MGS4
*Call Of Duty 4
*Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (should be cheap, it´s basically a "big demo" - full game coming in next year)
*Warhawk (online game-option only)
*Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
(I´m not really into "GTA4" while I have it, but many love the game..)

Those should get you started.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The remote isn't really needed. If you use the controller you get just as much functionality and it works fine. Save yourself the money until you realize you absolutely need the remote.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

You´ll need the remote for the movies (not for the games, though), believe me. And it´s around 20$ anyway... Peanuts. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks