What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

How much time do you spend gaming in 2024? (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
John - I stand corrected:

Well, when I took a serious look at what I'd need to accomplish this [Free McBoot memory card, USB drive, SATA adapter for PS2, SATA HDD for storing games, USB to SATA dock for transferring games] I realized the monetary cost alone approached that of a "new to me" console. Then there's the time costs. With all of this in mind, I decided to go ahead and order another console, this time paying close attention to the model number and region. It still seems strange to me that Sony would have separate and incompatible hardware between regions but what ya gonna do???

The seller of the Japanese unit was willing to take it back but I declined as it was my oversight. Anyone need a Japanese PS2 console? :D

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
This was an interesting read. I was gonna post that my gaming was down this year. Not for any philosophical reason or choice, but mainly due to just seeming to not have any free time to play.

Then I remembered cell phone games, which I'm technically playing right now at work as I type this, so I guess it hasn't really changed. Just my console gaming. I usually have two games on the go and play one or the other depending on how much time I know I can commit.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Well, when I took a serious look at what I'd need to accomplish this [Free McBoot memory card, USB drive, SATA adapter for PS2, SATA HDD for storing games, USB to SATA dock for transferring games] I realized the monetary cost alone approached that of a "new to me" console. Then there's the time costs. With all of this in mind, I decided to go ahead and order another console, this time paying close attention to the model number and region. It still seems strange to me that Sony would have separate and incompatible hardware between regions but what ya gonna do???

The seller of the Japanese unit was willing to take it back but I declined as it was my oversight. Anyone need a Japanese PS2 console? :D
What a bummer! Sorry you had to learn this way. Region locking has long been a pain, but in recent years companies have been less stringent about region-locking - call it a more "international" approach, from Japanese Switch cartridges working in North America without any mods to being able to access other regions' digital storefronts with a minimum of hassle.

My favorite import machine was the Nintendo Super Famicom. I loved the bright, colorful, streamlined look as compared to the dull gray monolith of the SNES. The Super Famicom was region-free like the Switch, but with one caveat: the cartridges had different shapes. For example, to make North American carts work on the SFC (and good luck getting an adapter in pre-internet times), you could file down the plastic area around the cartridge slot.

Relating to the topic of this thread: when life throws more novel challenges at me, I tend to retreat into short play sessions with simple games, like Tetris or Picross. In 2024 I've only played more complex RPG or action-adventure games when life is predictable. The less predictable life becomes, the less space I have to learn (or re-learn) complex battle systems or follow large-scale narratives.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
What a bummer! Sorry you had to learn this way.
Yea, I never meant to buy a Japanese Playstation 2, just didn't read the listing closely enough. It's a phenomenon I call "leaping before you look," a mistake I make too frequently. Meanwhile, my new-to-me console arrived today. I've completed basic testing but can't wait for enough free time to spin up some retro games.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
But my gaming fell away a couple years ago. Life got busy and I changed what I spend my “fun” time on. And gaming doesn’t make the cut currently. I miss it but I also don’t desire to spend my time gaming.

I’m sure I‘ll return to it at some point.
Are you sure?

You say you don't desire to spend your time gaming (currently).

But as time wears on do you feel you will still be interested in gaming much?
Just asking because you sound a lot like I did before I pretty much quit.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Are you sure?

You say you don't desire to spend your time gaming (currently).

But as time wears on do you feel you will still be interested in gaming much?
Just asking because you sound a lot like I did before I pretty much quit.
Who can say, until I’m in the future? :)

The past several years, increasingly my free time spent at the watching TV with my wife, at the gym, board games with friends, and on a volunteer activity. Playing open-world games alone in the dark is replaced by making a cocktail and watching a TV show or movie alone in the dark. And if I really have a weekend afternoon wide open, I’ll likely do some baking.

So games got shoved aside, particularly during the pandemic, and replaced by other activities.

But on last night’s flight, I was playing Slay the Spire on my Switch. I’ve been playing a bit more lightweight, turn-based games that are more than match-three but less than Zelda. I think I got burned out last year by spending $70 on Zelda TOTK and discovering that I wasn’t into it because it wanted to be a second job.

I’d be more into casual gaming, if I gave it some time. I’m thinking about buying Mario Wonder. A fun, straight-forward, not too hard AAA game might be something I play on travel. I’ll look at that this summer when I feel like risking another $70 on a videogame.

So next year, will I really buy g a PS5 Pro and will I really then go re-play The Last of Us and then will I really play TLOU 2? I think I want to? But right now, I know I’d spend the money and then not actually game on it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
But farther ahead…I’m 10-20 years from retirement. So in the not super distant future I could have loads more free time and spending an hour a day alone in the dark playing games might be a perfectly great addition to my life. :)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
A bit of a wake up call for me was when I finished a game I enjoyed, and finding out it was 120 hours of my life. I feel I could have gotten the same enjoyment if the game was 20 hours. Toward the end of my quest to "complete" it I became more frustrated. Just wanted it to end.
It became more frustrating than fun. And that was one of the very few games I stick with. Another factor for quitting modern gaming. So very few games hold my attention anymore. I quit 90% of games I try. Probably more.

I have a friend that games a lot. I added up his cumulative hours he has gaming and it was approximately 3 months of one year.

That to me was sobering. He enjoys it, that is great. But if it was me, that amount would send me into depression.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
But farther ahead…I’m 10-20 years from retirement. So in the not super distant future I could have loads more free time and spending an hour a day alone in the dark playing games might be a perfectly great addition to my life. :)
Yeah that sounds great.

Whenever I have a good chunk of free time, I'm not spending it gaming. I had two weeks off from work in December, and I pretty much did everything except play video games. I don't know, I hope I am still interested in gaming when I retire in twelve years or so.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I also hate seeing that I've spent dozens of hours on a game, especially if I'm not into it, so I have found a way around that: don't pay more than $20-30 for a game (wait until it's on sale) and then I don't feel like I'm losing anything of value if I run through it fast then move on. Also, having a PS+/GamePass Ultimate sub is good for getting a ton of value for my money. I just put 95 hours into Death Stranding on PS5 but was ready to speed through it in under 20 if it didn't grab me (however, it did grab me).

But I also avoid anything online/multiplayer (Call of Duty), most open world stuff (GTA, Assassin's Creed), and any sports games in order to not sink tons of hours into something that will leave me feeling like I wasted my time. I'd rather play 10 games in 200 hours than 1 game in 200 hours.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
GamePass and PlayStation+ are GREAT for those kinds of games. It sounds expensive to pay $180+ for a year of games, but when you're able to play a single game in 1 or 2 weekends then you're looking at over a dozen games a year easily. The classics on Switch (NES/SNES/Genesis/GB/GBA/N64) tend to fall into that category, too, plus with save states, rewinding (on most games), and instant on/off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks