What's new

Do I need to buy (all) new equipment? (1 Viewer)

jberthoty

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Hi all,
I hope this isn't too general or in the wrong section.
I recently starting streaming using the ROKU stick.

TV - Samsung UN65HU8500AF (purchased 5/21/2014)
ROKU - 3820 Streaming Stick 4K
AVR - Denon AVR-X1600H (supports input and output of 4K 3840 x 2160 pixels video signals of HDMI)
HTPC - Intel I5 (using onboard graphics, no GPU)

The ROKU is plugged into a Denon HDMI port. The Denon output is plugged into the TV ARC HDMI port.

When playing CERTAIN content from the ROKU (some YouTube, some Netflix, etc.)I get the error message about HDCP (High bandwidth digital content protection).

I tried the solution recommended (unplugging ROKU and TV then replug).
I tried plugging the ROKU directly into a TV HDMI port.
Neither method helped.

Is the TV too old and doesn't support the content? I really need it to work with the ROKU plugged into the AVR to use the audio amp and my speakers.

I am considering replacing the PC mother board with a better one (I9 ?) and adding a GPU. What to look for in the GPU? Do I need to replace the old HDMI cables as well?

If I can supply any further info, let me know please.

Thanks in advance!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Is the TV too old and doesn't support the content?

I think this is the most likely culprit. The 4K UHD spec hadn't been finalized in 2014, and when they did eventually finalize it circa 2016, there was some additional copy protection included with the spec that wasn't part of previous models.

How old are your cables? There's a slight possibility that the TV itself is fine but that the cables are out of spec and causing the problem. If the cables connecting from the Roku to the AVR, and then from the AVR to TV, are older than 2016, I'd definitely suggest replacing them with new HDMI 2.1 cables as your first troubleshooting step - that's a lot cheaper than buying a new TV. But ultimately your solution may have to be finding a newer television.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As Josh said, the TV is nine years old, and probably is a source of the problem. So, make certain it's firmware is up to date, then make certain all your hdmi cables are at least 18Gb/s certified (Monoprice is a good source) but at this point you might as well go with 48Gb/s certified. Your receiver shouldn't be a problem. If those things don't fix it, you probably need to replace the TV.

I checked, and I moved to 4K in 2018, and updated all my hdmi cables at that time and have had no problems. You can no longer keep a hodgepodge of hdmi cables sitting around for years.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Hello.
1. First get all new cables. And see if that helps.
2. If that does not help. It's the TV I think.
This is just what I don't like.
Every 3,4 years. They want you to go buy
a complete new setup. I said the hell with that.
I have a complete 4K set up. About 3 years old.
And I will keep it just like it is. I will not buy a new
setup. Until this goes zip. And gone. I will keep my 50"
4K TV ect. I do need to get my LaserDisc player working. And working on that now. To hook up with all the rest of the stuff I have hooked up.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Most likely cables I'd think. According to what I could find, your TV actually does support HDCP 2.2, which should be sufficient for 4K UHD streaming.

Here's what ROKU has to say about the issue.

Finally, here's a really good general guide to understanding and troubleshooting HDCP issues.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The Denon AVR-X1600H allegedly supports up to HDCP 2.3 so that can't be it.

jberthoty

Auditioning
Real Name
John
I think this is the most likely culprit. The 4K UHD spec hadn't been finalized in 2014, and when they did eventually finalize it circa 2016, there was some additional copy protection included with the spec that wasn't part of previous models.

How old are your cables? There's a slight possibility that the TV itself is fine but that the cables are out of spec and causing the problem. If the cables connecting from the Roku to the AVR, and then from the AVR to TV, are older than 2016, I'd definitely suggest replacing them with new HDMI 2.1 cables as your first troubleshooting step - that's a lot cheaper than buying a new TV. But ultimately your solution may have to be finding a newer television.
John, The cables are old yes, but the issue persists if I plug the ROKU streamer dongle directly in the TV.
The Denon AVR-X1600H allegedly supports up to HDCP 2.3 so that can't be it.
Well THAT'S good to hear! Thanks.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The cables are old yes, but the issue persists if I plug the ROKU streamer dongle directly in the TV.

We’re all pretty much in agreement that the most likely explanation is that your TV’s HDMI input predates the invention of the copy protection standard that 4K UHD content uses. Unfortunately the only real fix for that is getting a new TV. They started selling 4K TVs before the 4K specifications were finalized and that was a lousy thing for TV manufacturers to do.

jberthoty

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Ok, all great info, thanks everyone. I've ordered new cables from Monoprice and looking at new TVs at Costco. Probably 65" Samsung QLED less chance of burn-in I believe, even though I'm not a gamer, still leery. I know that's a WHOLE new ordeal. There are several. Now I've got to go down THAT rabbit hole deciding which one. Grrrrr! Thanks again. If you have any comments on my decision, PLEASE let me know. Thanks again.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If you have any comments on my decision, PLEASE let me know.

You’re going to find that since you last bought a TV, the quality has gone up as costs have gone down. I think whatever you wind up with, if you do end up replacing the TV, is going to be delightful. Today’s entry level models are superior to the top of the line models from ten years ago.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
You’re going to find that since you last bought a TV, the quality has gone up as costs have gone down. I think whatever you wind up with, if you do end up replacing the TV, is going to be delightful. Today’s entry level models are superior to the top of the line models from ten years ago.
True but the current TV appears to support 3D. Unfortunately, no replacing that.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Sounds to me that it’s possible that the HDMI input or the HDMI chipset is going bad on the TV, or the Roku’s HDMI is is wonky. Does this happen on every HDMI port on the TV? Do you have another 4K streaming device you can try?

If the problem persists on the same HDMI port on the TV, then there’s your likely culprit. The workaround there is to just use another HDMI input on the TV until you are ready to replace the TV.

If another 4K device doesn’t reproduce the issue, then it’s the Roku.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks