What's new

xBox or PS3? Plus...what to buy?.....etc! (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
You can use the controller to run movies, but it's a bit of a pain compared to the remote, which at $20 is a real bargain (especially considering that it's bluetooth). Its only flaw is that the buttons neither glow in the dark nor light up, so you have to memorize 'em or look at 'em in the light of the TV.

Michael G Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Very tempting. You'll still need to get a harddrive for your downloads. I have all my media in avi format so for me to use it as a media server, I'm outta luck. There is nothing wrong with my xbox but to upgrade to a xbox 360 'cuz it looks nicer.....still very tempting. How's the 360 with backwards compatibility?
I'm still keeping my eye on the ps3 bundles. Best Buy & Future Shop seem to be adding to the package every couple weeks. I recall last month the ps3 was with the remote and 2 games on the 40gb model.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I believe you need the hard drive for backwards compatibility, so you'd be looking at the Pro or Elite models.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My wife is playing the demo of Cloning Clyde on our new 360
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I bought the 60GB model, a second controller, Lego Indy, Burnout Paradise, and Guitar Hero III. Thankfully, I had an unused Linksys router from 6 years ago that split my living room ethernet cable so I could connect both the Xbox and Tivo.

To my grand annoyance, my "name" is already in use on Live, so I had to take a secondary choice. I'm still figuring out profiles, profile settings, and how to buy content.

A question: I thought the 360 had Dolby Digital audio, but the cables are only stereo. How do I get digital surround?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Do you have the HDTV break out cable to connect the XBOX to your set thru component? If you do, there should be a sliding switch that allows you to select HDTV output. There is an optical output on the cable end nearest to the XBOX.

If you do not have the HDTV cable then you would have to use the HDMI output, assuming you have a unit that is equipped with one. The unit is brand new, right?

Edit: Forget that last question.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks. I see the optical connector now. I guess I'll have to buy my first optical cable now
I've always used the RCA-cable connections for digital audio.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

No prob. Enjoy. GEARS OF WAR and CALL OF DUTY 4 are older games but are still worth checking out. There's some good surround effects in those games. They are good games playwise, at least if you don't mind mayhem and blowing shit up.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Got my mom -- a 60-ish year old semi-Luddite -- to play two rounds of Guitar Hero
She was having a hoot!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And by the by: the Logitech Harmony One controls the 360. I just added Play Xbox 360 to my remote and to my surprise, the 360 has an IR sensor and can be turned on/off by my remote.

For SAF alone, that justifies the 360 over the PS3 in this household. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks