What's new

X-Files Season 5, Issues (1 Viewer)

markc

Grip
:frowning: I have been back to Media Play 4 times and there seems to be a bad batch of Season 5. The problem is on disc 1. The warning message comes up fine but when it tries to find the menu, a Check Disc message appears and the disc locks up. I have tried it in three different machines all with the same results. The Media Play is the one in Newington, CT. Anyone else with the same problems?
Mark

markc

Grip
2 different Toshibas, 2 different Pioneers and a Sony...only the first disc has a problem

John_McKittrick

Stunt Coordinator
You're starting to scare me. I ordered this from TAU and it takes a week to get here. I hope everything is ok.

John

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
My copy of disc one started up just fine in my older Panasonic DVD-A110 so I know there are good batches as well.

Jose Q

Stunt Coordinator
I received my copy from (DELETED) on May 1st and it works fine.
ADMINISTRATOR'S NOTE: Please do NOT publicly identify vendors who break street dates. Thanks for your cooperation.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Well, it has been 3 weeks since markc first posted about this, but I can finally verify that there's another instance of this exact thing happening! :frowning:
My wife got Set 5 for her Birthday this past Tuesday, and we went to play it today. Discs 2 and up work great. Disc 1 does exactly what markc says his copy does, at the same place. The reaction differs from unit to unit.
I have a Panasonic A-120 in the living room, and at the lockup point the drive makes a grinding sound and the player won't acknowledge commands from the remote at all. A power-off or stop command on the player console will be acknowledged after a couple of minutes filled with the grinding noise of the drive trying to access the disc.
I have a DVD-ROM drive on this PC I'm using now. It has a variety of soft players on it, and all do the same approximate thing: get to the lockup point and then self-stop, as if I had pressed the "stop" button myself. No messages or indicators come up.
Finally, the bedroom has a Mintek 2110 player. The disc gets to the lockup point, and then self-stops with a "Disc Error" message on the screen.
On all three, after a stop has occurred I can hit the choice for playing chapter 1, and the disc will start up with the proper program, recaping the previous season and showing a helicopter flying over snowy mountains.
I can then choose the "menu" and get to the proper main menu all right, and then choose anything I want to from there.
Cleaning the disc doesn't help anything. Cleaning the players doesn't help either, for that matter.
Other discs work fine in each unit, both before and after trying Season 5, Disc 1. No permanent damage *appears* to occur to any player, even with the grinding noise.
It looks like an exchange is needed here. Since it is a gift, perhaps it's easier just to deal with Fox. If Peter Staddon wants to jump in and make me an offer, I'll deal with him. :) Otherwise, I suppose I'll call Fox Customer Support on Monday. It's probably the same # I used for Cleopatra.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The result of my phone call to Fox's consumer line was not good; details can be found in this new thread at Studio Feedback. :frowning:
There I go over the problem once more (copying-and-pasting most of my text from the post above), and ask for anyone from Fox who is reading to HEEEEEEEELP!!!

markc

Grip
I tried returning it 6 different times to Media Play even after they told me the last copy was from a different batch. I got my money back and will try on-line somewhere. Dave where did you purchase your set from...was it from a Media Play company (suncoast, sam goody, on cue, best buy)

mark

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Read the thread in Studio Feedback that I linked to above, and it will save me time explaining again. It was a gift.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks