What's new

Will Around the World in 80 Days ever get a special deluxe edition like The Wonderful World of The Brothers Grimm? (1 Viewer)

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
I saw that show at the Ziegfeld in NYC in 1970. I like to think it was 70mm, but it probably wasn't. There was no mention of it in the ads.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231227_213231_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231227_213231_Chrome.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
I‘m not gonna talk too negative about the posts on this thread on 80 Days. What I will say is I have faith in WB’s team on the restoration. I know it will take time, as much time as needed on the project. But then again, that is what they said about Brothers Grimm and we were rewarded with an excellent Cinerama restoration. In defense of WB, this new project can be accomplished, but it will be done the right way, even if additional funding from trusted outside sources (Film Foundation, etc.) has to be done.

Same thing with Sound Of Music (now that 20th has its rights back).

Mr. F (of the WB Archive) and WB themselves, the ball is in your court.

No negativity here, just positive thoughts…it will make the restoration of 80 Days more of a reality.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I‘m not gonna talk too negative about the posts on this thread on 80 Days. What I will say is I have faith in WB’s team on the restoration. I know it will take time, as much time as needed on the project. But then again, that is what they said about Brothers Grimm and we were rewarded with an excellent Cinerama restoration. In defense of WB, this new project can be accomplished, but it will be done the right way, even if additional funding from trusted outside sources (Film Foundation, etc.) has to be done.

Same thing with Sound Of Music (now that 20th has its rights back).

Mr. F (of the WB Archive) and WB themselves, the ball is in your court.

No negativity here, just positive thoughts…it will make the restoration of 80 Days more of a reality.
Film Foundation? Probably time to close this thread and allow the studio to work internally. Let’s avoid bringing in more outside voices.

Last edited:

Jeff F.

Second Unit
I just purchased and watched this film via Apple TV in HD - for the first time - and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It definitely had a lot of film scratches on it in certain scenes, but overall had decent colors and blacks. It can use a good cleanup, but I did not find it unwatchable in the shape it was in. I viewed it on a 75" Sony.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Film Foundation? Probably time to close this thread and allow the studio to work internally. Let’s avoid bringing in more outside voices.
People that have not worked in "the industry" have no idea how excessively complicated and insanely bureaucratic it can be. And there is such a thing as "too many cooks."

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
People that have not worked in "the industry" have no idea how excessively complicated and insanely bureaucratic it can be. And there is such a thing as "too many cooks."
Thank you.

Readers also be unaware that the studios do read these comments, and comments can unwittingly upset something already in motion. As in every business, there are some who attain a position, may be uncertain what their next move should be, read a comment that sounds rational and enticing and make a wrong move.

Would readers really be comfortable suggesting a path forward to a neurosurgeon operating on a family member or commercial pilot?

Sometimes it’s best to allow those who know what they’re doing, create their own path.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Assuming that people who work for these studios know what they’re doing.
I think the studio people that actually read this forum do know what they are doing. It's the people that don't know their film assets and don't have a good understanding of their film library's history that are the ones we have to worry about.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
From what I gather things have been set in motion at Warner regarding 80 Days.

I am extremely pleased to hear that and will not offer any suggestions to Warner as to how to do their work on 80 Days nor will I ask every few weeks when it will finally arrive on Blu-ray and/or UHD.
While it really surprised me I have a bunch of recent Warner purchases in my collection that worked out quite well even without my help...

Last edited:

Dennis Gallagher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis T. Gallagher
Thank you.

Readers also be unaware that the studios do read these comments, and comments can unwittingly upset something already in motion. As in every business, there are some who attain a position, may be uncertain what their next move should be, read a comment that sounds rational and enticing and make a wrong move.

Would readers really be comfortable suggesting a path forward to a neurosurgeon operating on a family member or commercial pilot?

Sometimes it’s best to allow those who know what they’re doing, create their own path.
I have donated fairly religiously to The Film Foundation for years. Should I be directing my donations elsewhere? (Note that I also donate to the National Film Preservation Foundation, the George Eastman Museum and the UCLA Film and Television Archive.)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I have donated fairly religiously to The Film Foundation for years. Should I be directing my donations elsewhere? (Note that I also donate to the National Film Preservation Foundation, the George Eastman Museum and the UCLA Film and Television Archive.)
AMPAS Foundation and MOMA.

• Appreciate
Reactions: PMF

Dennis Gallagher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis T. Gallagher
AMPAS Foundation and MOMA.
So you're saying NONE of the ones I've been donating to for ages - or just add the two you've mentioned to the mix? (This gets somewhat tricky as I've worked things out with my broker to do distributions from my IRA and things are pretty much already in place for the coming year. I just did a Charity Navigator search on all these organizations and the only one getting a less than stellar rating is The Film Foundation and even that one gets an 85%.)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
So you're saying NONE of the ones I've been donating to for ages - or just add the two you've mentioned to the mix? (This gets somewhat tricky as I've worked things out with my broker to do distributions from my IRA and things are pretty much already in place for the coming year. I just did a Charity Navigator search on all these organizations and the only one getting a less than stellar rating is The Film Foundation and even that one gets an 85%.)
Just adding two.

Dennis Gallagher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis T. Gallagher
Just adding two.
Thank you for clarifying that. I'll add these two "out of pocket" for this year. (Not that it matters, but I've already distressed by broker's assistant by having quite a long list of charities which I'm supporting through my IRA distributions.)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Thank you for clarifying that. I'll add these two "out of pocket" for this year. (Not that it matters, but I've already distressed by broker's assistant by having quite a long list of charities which I'm supporting through my IRA distributions.)
Thank you!!

Not to complicate, but here’s another important one:

Last edited:

Dennis Gallagher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis T. Gallagher
Thank you!!

Not to complicate, but here’s another important one:

Of course. The efforts of all these organizations (and of course individuals like yourself) is VERY much appreciated. (Side note: I've been following your career for years, and "Napoleon" at Radio City in 1981 is still one of my most treasured movie going experiences - as is "Lawrence of Arabia" at the Ziegfeld in 1989.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks