What's new

Will Around the World in 80 Days ever get a special deluxe edition like The Wonderful World of The Brothers Grimm? (1 Viewer)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I've actually been wondering about that for years. Thank you for clearing that up. In the past when this came up, the forum members were convinced that the negative had turned to pink, we didn't know much more. I applaud your efforts and hope this progresses.

Actually negs go blue.

Wouldn't that depend on their sex?

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
My Dad was a projectionist for a while in the late 1950s, and I remember him talking about how 80 Days was extended and extended for a longer run because it kept selling tickets and he felt like the run would never end. Unfortunately, I do not know the format of the film he worked with, although I would suspect 35mm. Whenever it was on TV when I was kid I always watched it, but Dad would say, "I really don't need to see that again."

I would dearly love a blu-ray from the Todd-AO that sparkles like Oklahoma!, I really hope this comes to pass, I will buy it on day one.

Strohmaier

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Strohmaier
I don’t know about a possible 4K disc that would be up to WB Archives.

I personally like the idea of an isolated music track, several years ago I was given a CD that has many more cues than appear on the “80 Days” Decca album. However, I don’t know if any other music elements exist to facilitate such a track.

As stated in an earlier post when 70mm is shown at Bradford or even the Dome there is some cropping in order to fit the full screen, However I don’t believe it would be as much as 70%. When “Brothers Grimm” and any of the travelogues we have restored are shown at Bradford’s Pictureville Cinerama screen we create a DCP that has corrections built into the file for keystone or one could say rectified for their screen. It’s a form of a SmileBox tweaked so there would be no cropping. When shown this prevents any horizon sag so the lines at the bottom and top appear as horizontal on the screen. We also have one for the Dome that is slightly different as the Dome has a greater % keystone problem. This way we make sure we have the entire image on the screen. The curved screen itself then straightens out any distortion.

Rectified for Pictureville.png

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
I personally like the idea of an isolated music track, several years ago I was given a CD that has many more cues than appear on the “80 Days” Decca album. However, I don’t know if any other music elements exist to facilitate such a track.
The plot thickens...

Reactions: PMF

avroman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Warren Thomson
I have been waiting anxiously for this for quite a few years now! Since I screened the 35mm Cinestage version in my theatre in 1958, I have been a huge fan of 80 Days. It has never had a 70mm screening in Australia, so, a restored 30fps 70 version on (hopefully) 4K disc edition, would be my dream come true.
I'm now 85, so I hope I'm still around when it finally gets here.

garyrc

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gary
My Dad was a projectionist for a while in the late 1950s, and I remember him talking about how 80 Days was extended and extended for a longer run because it kept selling tickets and he felt like the run would never end. Unfortunately, I do not know the format of the film he worked with, although I would suspect 35mm.
80 days played well into its second year in San Francisco, in 65/70mm (I don't know if the print was 65 or 70mm; it is beginning to sound like, in San Francisco at least, it ran in 65mm with a second strip of 35mm magnetic full coated for the 6 sound channels. That was the rumor at the time, but some of us tended to not quite believe it because of all the magazine articles a few years later talking about the soundtracks being on the 70mm film itself, and being a total of 5mm wide (Wrong! For 70mm prints that did have the tracks on the film, they were a totalof 9+mm wide with two tracks inside the sprockets, and perhaps a very slightly smaller picture. I'm holding a frame from a 70mm print of Ben-Hur(1959) in my left hand right now, and a millimeter ruler in the right. The total soundtrack width looks like 9.09mm width, so, I'm guessing about 1.515mm each (to hell with significant figures!), if all 6 are equal in width (can't tell on the outer tracks).

The sound for 80 Days was wonderful, befitting (I suppose) a double system presentation (pic in 65mm & sound separate and in sync on wide tracks on 35mm full coat magnetic). If anything, the sound was better than Cinerama in a theater also in San Francisco, running at the same time.

1703306096308.png

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Real Name
Terry Watson
I have been waiting anxiously for this for quite a few years now! Since I screened the 35mm Cinestage version in my theatre in 1958, I have been a huge fan of 80 Days. It has never had a 70mm screening in Australia, so, a restored 30fps 70 version on (hopefully) 4K disc edition, would be my dream come true.
I'm now 85, so I hope I'm still around when it finally gets here.
It did have two 70mm releases in Australia. It originally premiered in 35mm Cinestage on the 2nd October 1957 at the Paris Theatre in Sydney. The full version of the film in Todd-AO was reissued in 1963 at the Paris in Sydney, an 8 week run. Then 4 weeks at Brisbane's St. James and 3 weeks at the Royal in Newcastle. The second reissue was in 1968 as the 167 minute cut down version. It was shown at Sydney's Cinerama house, the Plaza Theatre. There was one 70mm print in circulation in 1963. In 1968 there were two prints circulating - Print 1: Plaza, Melbourne (Cinerama), Fair Lady, Adelaide, Capitol, Canberra and Paris, Perth. Print 2: Paris,Brisbane, Plaza, Sydney (Cinerama), Astra, Parramatta (a Todd-AO house).

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
80 days played well into its second year in San Francisco, in 65/70mm (I don't know if the print was 65 or 70mm; it is beginning to sound like, in San Francisco at least, it ran in 65mm with a second strip of 35mm magnetic full coated for the 6 sound channels. That was the rumor at the time, but some of us tended to not quite believe it because of all the magazine articles a few years later talking about the soundtracks being on the 70mm film itself, and being a total of 5mm wide (Wrong! For 70mm prints that did have the tracks on the film, they were a totalof 9+mm wide with two tracks inside the sprockets, and perhaps a very slightly smaller picture. I'm holding a frame from a 70mm print of Ben-Hur(1959) in my left hand right now, and a millimeter ruler in the right. The total soundtrack width looks like 9.09mm width, so, I'm guessing about 1.515mm each (to hell with significant figures!), if all 6 are equal in width (can't tell on the outer tracks).

The sound for 80 Days was wonderful, befitting (I suppose) a double system presentation (pic in 65mm & sound separate and in sync on wide tracks on 35mm full coat magnetic). If anything, the sound was better than Cinerama in a theater also in San Francisco, running at the same time.

View attachment 207230

04/22/56
042256.jpg

12/26/56
122656.jpg

12/26/57
122657.jpg

10/19/58
101958.jpg

Last edited:

Strohmaier

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Strohmaier
Thanks for that Roland, now I know so many others went to the “80 Days” quite a few times.
My 5 visits caused concern from my parents at the time, so they did not need to worry.

In 1966 they reissued the film and by then I was a projectionist at the Grand Theater in Keokuk.
The print was IB Tech scope with just mono optical sound. It was from the original release of ’56 as I had to inspect it due to many splices before the engagement. The Grand was quite large for a small town of 17,000 population the theater had approx. 950 seats. The show ran for two weeks every night including added afternoons shows on Wed, Sat & Sun. Usually, the house was almost half full on weekday evenings and quite fuller full on weekends. So besides the 5 times of seeing it as a child I ran the film another 18 or so times - only from the booth. Often, I would go out into the house for short visits to watch people watching the film.
Dave at Gand Booth.jpg

garyrc

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gary
Wow Roland! What a collection! Thanks for posting. I miss 70mm at the dear old Coronet (before they reduced the screen size and curvature, and some dim bulb asked that dim bulbs be put in the projectors). I guess nearly everyone abandoned carbon arc. My friends and I would take the N bus from Oakland, then the streetcar, to go to San Francisco's best presentation at the Coronet for Oklahoma!, Sleeping Beauty, Porgy and Bess, Ben-Hur and many times for 80 Days

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
It did have two 70mm releases in Australia. It originally premiered in 35mm Cinestage on the 2nd October 1957 at the Paris Theatre in Sydney. The full version of the film in Todd-AO was reissued in 1963 at the Paris in Sydney, an 8 week run. Then 4 weeks at Brisbane's St. James and 3 weeks at the Royal in Newcastle. The second reissue was in 1968 as the 167 minute cut down version. It was shown at Sydney's Cinerama house, the Plaza Theatre. There was one 70mm print in circulation in 1963. In 1968 there were two prints circulating - Print 1: Plaza, Melbourne (Cinerama), Fair Lady, Adelaide, Capitol, Canberra and Paris, Perth. Print 2: Paris,Brisbane, Plaza, Sydney (Cinerama), Astra, Parramatta (a Todd-AO house).
The Paris screen in Sydney was woefully small for 70mm projection as were almost all cinemas with 70mm in Sydney. Such a pity as where I worked in Wellington, New Zealand we had a 59ft wide curved Todd-AO screen. We had SOUND OF MUSIC for 42 weeks .SOUTH PACIFIC ran 25 weeks. Another cinema nearby had a 62 ft wide screen for 70mm projection and it was the largest screen in the Southern Hemisphere in the 50's/60's. Those were the good old days of seeing a film in 70mm. I also saw AROUND THE WORLD at the Sydney Plaza in 70mm on their huge curved screen. That was an unforgettable experience.I had by then ,moved to Australia to live. I managed to see about 182 feature films that were projected in 70mm. I am also one of the few people to have seen the original roadshow release of the uncut 70mm film . HEAVEN'S GATE during its World Premiere screening in New York.It was only showing for one week and it was never released anywhere else before it was cut considereably. A cut bersion was shown in 70mm in Los Angeles several months later. No other 70mm screenings of the film anywhere as far as I remember.

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
I am also one of the few people to have seen the original roadshow release of the uncut 70mm film. HEAVEN'S GATE during its World Premiere screening in New York.
Lucky you, :) I saw an Uncut (no BBFC cuts to animal cruelty) 35mm of the 219 min Roadshow Version (at the Prince Charles Cinema, UK), with original Entr'acte music (the 2000 MGM DVD uses a different Version of the number from the 1999 Rykodisc CD before switching back to the film mix [only a fraction of the actual version of the number can be heard during the fade-in to Act 2]).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks