What's new

WHV Announcement: Warner Bros. celebrates 90th Anniversary with "Best of Warner Bros." Collections ( (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Adam4Rizzel /t/324196/whv-announcement-warner-bros-celebrates-90th-anniversary-with-best-of-warner-bros-collections-and-more-in-2013#post_3983683
I've never understood hatred toward double dipping on Blu-Ray. Kinda a thing about Blu-Ray is upgrading from DVD to HD. So upgrading from the golden collections AND getting never released shorts that are all RESTORED. +1
I don't think anyone would complain too loudly if these where upgrades to blu. Based on the contents of these movie sets it's likely these well simply be the old discs repackaged.

I think we'll all be looking for more info on these animation sets. Since they're including MGM in their 90th anniversary, it wouldn't kill them to release a bunch of non-Tom & Jerry MGM toons would it?

I noticed no James Dean in the bluray set, but the old discs are in the DVD one. Who knows if that means no James Dead for 2013 or not. It would be a nice enticement to have them in the big box as an exclusive for half a year or something before doing a seperate release. Like what Kino is doing on their Buster Keaton Ultimate box.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
I don't think that this box set is a "disappointment"...it's clearly aimed at the more casual movie fan, not hardcore cinema buffs like ourselves, as most of us already have these titles in our collections. For us, the real meat of the celebration will come with the release of previously unavailable catalog titles!!!

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Russell G said:
I noticed no James Dean in the bluray set, but the old discs are in the DVD one. Who knows if that means no James Dean for 2013 or not. It would be a nice enticement to have them in the big box as an exclusive for half a year or something before doing a seperate release. Like what Kino is doing on their Buster Keaton Ultimate box.
It does sound like JD will be represented - just not in the Big Box.
Ronald Epstein said:
The year-long celebration will also include several stand-alone releases of new-to-format classics on Blu-ray™ for the first time, including The Jazz Singer, all three James Dean films (East of Eden, Rebel Without a Cause, Giant), Cabaret and Academy Award® Best Picture Winners Grand Hotel (1932), Mrs. Miniver (1943), and Driving Miss Daisy(1990).

David

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Please represent him and celebrate by getting down to some serious work on Giant and the others.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by David Weicker /t/324196/whv-announcement-warner-bros-celebrates-90th-anniversary-with-best-of-warner-bros-collections-and-more-in-2013#post_3983740
It does sound like JD will be represented - just not in the Big Box.
David
Ah, missed that. Thanks.

I'd probably upgrade depending on how Giant turns out.

Adam4Rizzel

Agent
Real Name
Adam J
Russell G said:
I think we'll all be looking for more info on these animation sets. Since they're including MGM in their 90th anniversary, it wouldn't kill them to release a bunch of non-Tom & Jerry MGM toons would it?
Now I'm completely with you there. We need to be getting some MGM cartoon collections, other than Tom and Jerry!

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by jacksparrow900 /t/324196/whv-announcement-warner-bros-celebrates-90th-anniversary-with-best-of-warner-bros-collections-and-more-in-2013#post_3983749
they should do a hitchcock blu ray collection. enough of this repackaging
The meat of the Hitchcock catalog is at Universal....which we're getting the day before Halloween, 10/30/12!!!

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
WB needs to get through their very thick skulls that DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT own The Wizard of Oz, they did not make it, they only have distribution rights, MGM WILL always own Oz
MGM needs to take back their library that WB currently owns

stevenHa

Second Unit
I thought there would be something special with the Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind 2013 bluray releases to make it worthwhile ?

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Andrew Budgell said:
Can't wait for GIANT.
Please WB, don't forget about RAINTREE COUNTY!
And don't forget about all three versions of SHOW BOAT as well as those long promised MGM silents!

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
darkrock17 said:
MGM needs to take back their library that WB currently owns
Unless the rights are scheduled to revert back to them at some point or MGM comes into some serious money (they seem to teeter on the edge of oblivion every 5-10 years), I doubt that will ever happen.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by SD_Brian /t/324196/whv-announcement-warner-bros-celebrates-90th-anniversary-with-best-of-warner-bros-collections-and-more-in-2013/30#post_3983835
Unless the rights are scheduled to revert back to them at some point or MGM comes into some serious money (they seem to teeter on the edge of oblivion every 5-10 years), I doubt that will ever happen.
The rights to the pre-1986 MGM titles will never revert back to MGM from Warner Brothers. Those titles are owned lock, stock, and barrel by Turner, which Warner Brothers owns. MGM would have to come up with some really big bucks to buy the titles back, that is if Warner would be willing to sale, but with all the work they have done to preserve the library, that would not seem logical. Today and always, Warner will own all rights to The Wizard Of Oz. They did not make it as MGM did not make Gone With The Wind, but they own it.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
When Ted Turner bought the MGM library, there were those who said he paid too much. They were wrong.
MGM basically chopped itself up and cannot blame anyone else.
The old Culver City MGM lot, BTW, is now owned by Sony.
MGM basically (and ironically) owns the United Artists library thanks to their purchase of UA. So at least they have something.
The MGM library will not be for sale.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
This is AWESOME!! My wallet needed a break from all the buying I've been doing this year, and it looks like 2013 will be it. At least as far as WB is concerned. What a relief!

RobHam

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob Hamilton
The Right Stuff on DVD, but not BD.
The DVD of The Right Stuff was one of the first I bought - been waiting patiently for the HD upgrade for years.
With the exception of the 3 James Dean's on BD, its a disappointing set.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I was surprised there's no, The Adventures Of Robin Hood in the Blu collection, but looking at the list, it's not for the rabbid film fan (us). There's only nine pre-fifties movies & the lions share is post sixties. For anyone just getting into Blu-ray it'll be a great deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks