What's new

Press Release WHV Press Release: Max Fleischer's SUPERMAN 1941-1943 (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
When I was at Bull Moose today, I was sorely tempted to pick up a copy. Fortunately, I came to my senses. The SD versions in the Superman Anthology BD will keep me satisfied.

Last edited:

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
well I don't agree ! These might not be as great as the should be, but it doesn't mean the dvd versions are better
They aren't. Warner screwed up ,but they didn't do anything with these great shorts for years,Maybe they can fix
these and release them on 4k ,so they can charge us again ........I would be fine with that

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
If they fix this, and re-issue this BD set with improved transfers, I'll be fine with that. But in the meantime, as I said, I'm happy enough with the SD versions in the Anthology set.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
well I don't agree ! These might not be as great as the should be, but it doesn't mean the dvd versions are better
They aren't. Warner screwed up ,but they didn't do anything with these great shorts for years,Maybe they can fix
these and release them on 4k ,so they can charge us again ........I would be fine with that
There is no 4k data in these films. There's hardly 2k.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Received my disc today. Not a disaster, but looks nothing like what I've come to expect from a release bearing the Warner Bros. logo.

The look of these cartoons remind me of the Lowry Digital remasters of Disney's animated features. Nothing at all that resembles 35mm or even non-digital, but not unwatchable. Did Warner create two sets of masters - one with normal grain intended for robust encodes on physical disc (a la the Tex Avery and 40s Popeyes) and one intended for streaming that has had all grain removed, plus a bit of overstabilization - and an error was made?

This is like going to a Gordon Ramsay restaurant and ordering beef wellington, but you're served a Big Mac instead because the kitchen has closed for the day without warning. Warner would be building a lot of good faith with collectors by offering a replacement disc without the overdone processing and mediocre encoding. They're capable of vastly better product.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I got my Bluray today. Picture is Bright, very Clean, and Colors are Strong. :D A Big improvement ! Much better than the old DVD I got rid of. Glad to have it in my collection. :)
aa superman.JPG

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
to me it appears to be a recycled Amazon box.
The customer got it on eBay from the poster/seller and the customer sent back an empty AmaZon box - that was proved to be empty by "Babe" opening the box. But that is totally unrelated to cartoons of Superman which was drawn ...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The customer got it on eBay from the poster/seller and the customer sent back an empty AmaZon box - that was proved to be empty by "Babe" opening the box. But that is totally unrelated to cartoons of Superman which was drawn ...
However, as a YouTube video in the “box-opening” genre, it could win it’s category at the Globes.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’m very interested if Mr. Harris has been able to view a copy of the disc. In the third post of this thread, RAH said this has been a major on going project and will be beautiful.

Because the people who have seen this disc have expressed disappointment, I have been very curious if there is more to the story then it appears. Have expectations been unrealistic? Does the restoration work reveal an image that’s truer to the source then expected, or has the digital mastering process for the Blu ray introduced problems such as removing detail and film grain? Or is this work tailored for a modern audience who prefer a cleaner image? Or was there a mistake made when this disc was pressed.

I have not received my copy yet, and I’m very curious to see it. I’m not an expert on these films, but I have seen several of the Fleischer Superman films from the DVD in the earlier Superman blu ray set. I have appreciated the artwork and techniques used to create the artwork of these films, it’s part of what makes them so interesting.

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I’m reluctant to link to a different forum, but Stephen Worth, who occasionally posts here, provides a compelling counterargument worth considering. To be sure, he’s not a grain enthusiast, but he is an image detail enthusiast. I’m posting with his permission.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I’m very interested if Mr. Harris has been able to view a copy of the disc. In the third post of this thread, RAH said this has been a major on going project and will be beautiful.

Because the people who have seen this disc have expressed disappointment, I have been very curious if there is more to the story then it appears. Have expectations been unrealistic? Does the restoration work reveal an image that’s truer to the source then expected, or has the digital mastering process for the Blu ray introduced problems such as removing detail and film grain? Or is this work tailored for a modern audience who prefer a cleaner image? Or was there a mistake made when this disc was pressed.

I have not received my copy yet, and I’m very curious to see it. I’m not an expert on these films, but I have seen several of the Fleischer Superman films from the DVD in the earlier Superman blu ray set. I have appreciated the artwork and techniques used to create the artwork of these films, it’s part of what makes them so interesting.
I’ve decided NOT to step into this fray.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’ve decided NOT to step into this fray.
Ha, ha! Smart. In addition to Stephen’s quoted line above, your post reminded me of an episode of Frasier when Frasier asks Daphne a question that is difficult to answer and would be provocative.

Daphne: Oh, no. No, you don't. You're not getting me into that Vietnam. I learned a long time ago there are three questions you never answer honestly. "How old do I look?" "Do you like my hair?" and "Was it good for you too?"

So I guess for this disc, it’s in the eye of the beholder. I hope to get to behold it today.

Benoit Blanc

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Does anyone know the reason(s) why Superman's outfit was given different colours for these cartoons? The black interior for the logo and a red belt instead of a yellow one? Why was that?

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Thanks to WOWHD I received my copy in the UK only 3 days after the official release date. Superman travels fast! As someone else has said, if I hadn’t read any pre-release reviews I would never have thought there was any sort of problem. As it is, I think the shorts look terrific; sharp and detailed. I don’t understand the negativity because I just don’t see what some are seeing and obsessing about. As for people saying all grain has been scrubbed out, that simply isn’t true because I see grain on my 86” screen - and I’ve just taken delivery of new glasses! Whatever issues there may be, have clearly been blown out of all proportion.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I got my copy yesterday and watched The Mad Scientist. I thought it looked great! I don't know what these shorts looked like originally, but if this is what they looked like, I think they're very well done.

I took some quick screencaps from the DVD and new blu ray.

Cap 1 DVD.png Cap 1 Blu Ray.png Cap 2 DVD.png Cap 2 Blu Ray.png Cap 3 DVD.png Cap 3 blu ray.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks