What's new

WHV Announcement: Warner Bros. celebrates 90th Anniversary with "Best of Warner Bros." Collections ( (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Quote:
MGM needs to take back their library that WB currently owns

[COLOR= rgb(69, 68, 52)]Really? That's what you would want?
Do you think MGM would give as much care to that library [/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(69, 68, 52)]as Warner has?[/COLOR]

[SIZE= 12px]Say what you will about the way this Anniversary set has[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px]been put together or the multiple dips on some of the MGM[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px]titles....[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px]...however I am quite thankful that WB owns the MGM [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px]property. I wish WB owned the rest of the MGM property[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px]so we could see a proper roadshow restoration of [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px]It's A Mad Mad Mad [/SIZE][SIZE= 12px]Mad World and The Alamo. [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px]Warner has done some incredible things with the [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px]MGM library and I don't believe such care would have[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 12px]been given to it if MGM actually still owned it.[/SIZE]

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Ronald Epstein said:
Really?  That's what you would want?
Do you think MGM would give as much care to that library 

as Warner has?
Say what you will about the way this Anniversary set has

been put together or the multiple dips on some of the MGM

titles....

...however I am quite thankful that WB owns the MGM 

property.  I wish WB owned the rest of the MGM property

so we could see a proper roadshow restoration of

It's A Mad Mad Mad 
Mad World and The Alamo. 
Warner has done some incredible things with the 
MGM library and I don't believe such care would have
been given to it if MGM actually still owned it.
Totally agree.
The original M-G-M / Turner library has been treated with great care and consummate respect by WB.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Thanks for the information. I was pretty sure that the Warner announcement was just the tip of the iceberg, for what they plan to do. I expect more announcements to come as "time goes by", for some titles that I heard from an inside person have not been announced.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Here is a commercial for the two mega box sets on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_7-RjaSc54&noredirect=1
Are the same films in the 5 Best of Warner Bros 20 movie sets as are in the 100 movie mega set ?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
And since Bill Hunt officially announced this...

Quote:
The Wizard of Oz: 75th Anniversary Edition on Blu-ray 3D

The very reason I tried to squelch complaints in another
thread. I knew that this would be coming and promised
the studio had something worth reinvesting for. Of course,
some fans will find no value in it. Others, like myself, will.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Best of Warner Bros. : Looney Tunes 25 Cartoon Collection (July)
Blech. Looks like a pass on the animation front.

since they're bringing back the gangster sets (the ones they discontinued since cataloge titles don't sell at retail anymore, blah blah blah) in bluray. how about a Controversial Classics Volume 3 featuring "The Devils", The Looney Tunes Censored 11, and some other title that would be cool?

I'm in for some more silents too. I'd love to see "Greed" on bluray with the original (for lack of a better word) cut and the 4 hour restoration that sounds unwatchable since it's all still pictures.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Garysb said:
Here is a commercial for the two mega box sets on youtube.
Folks,
Nothing but nothing will show that special person in your life the true meaning of love more than buying these bloated DVD/Blu-Ray box-sets for them next year. Sure, it may seem as impersonal as giving them a tie and certainly takes not even a whiff of creativity .... but c'mon ... when you drop one (or both) of these babies in his lap on Christmas day ... he'll know two (2) things for certain. (1) You spent some cash on that sucker and (2) he won't be coming 'round for any sex that night while you're exhausted having made dinner and making polite mindless small talk with his family. And isn't that what the holidays are about?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/324196/whv-announcement-warner-bros-celebrates-90th-anniversary-with-best-of-warner-bros-collections-and-more-in-2013/30#post_3983913
Totally agree.
The original M-G-M / Turner library has been treated with great care and consummate respect by WB.

Especially Gone With the Wind and The Wizard of Oz. And Gone With the Wind and The Wizard of Oz again. And Gone With the Wind and The Wizard of Oz again. Again.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I don't understand why you people keep calling it the WB 90th Anniversary Set.
We all know its just the 2013 Casablanca Box (with 49 extras) :D
David

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Even at a 50% discount, I can't see many casual fans splurging on these sets when most of the already released titles can be had under $10 with a little patience.
I hope Bridges of Madison County gets added to the Blu list along with the not mentioned Wind and the Lion (I know, not WB). The rest? Well...

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
For myself, I am waiting for the following Blu-Rays from WB.
Dancing Lady
Flying Down To Rio
The Gay Divorcee
Roberta
Top Hat
Follow The Fleet
Swing Time
Shall We Dance
A Damsel In Distress
Carefree
The Story Of Vernon And Irene Castle
Broadway Melody Of 1940
The Sky's The Limit
Ziegfeld Follies
Yolanda And The Thief
Easter Parade
The Barkleys Of Broadway
Three Little Words
Royal Wedding
The Belle Of New York
The Band Wagon
Silk Stockings
Finian's Rainbow
I've bolded the titles I feel are likely to get an upgrade (based on either prior WB chats or having gone through Ultra-Resolution).
As of now, none of Fred Astaire's 31 musicals have been released on Blu-Ray in the US (Funny Face and Daddy Long Legs have been released in Europe). 29 have had an official DVD release (3 from the WB Archives). Of the other two, one is PD (Second Chorus) and one just hasn't shown up (Let's Dance). WB owns 21 of his films.
I'm hoping, since this is an anniversary, that things improve for Astaire fans.
(and for the record, I do own the That's Entertainment Trilogy, The Towering Inferno, and Santa Claus Is Coming To Town on Blu - his only Hi-Def representation so far)
David

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Anyone else notice that the blue sticker in the BD box set ad says "Blu-Ray" in tiny dim letters and "ULTRAVIOLET" in big bright ones?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman /t/324196/whv-announcement-warner-bros-celebrates-90th-anniversary-with-best-of-warner-bros-collections-and-more-in-2013/30#post_3984065
Anyone else notice that the blue sticker in the BD box set ad says "Blu-Ray" in tiny dim letters and "ULTRAVIOLET" in big bright ones?
Well nothing sells catalog releases like a piss poor digital copy. that's the world we live in right? Convenience over quality and all that?

Oliver Siegel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver
Why the hell ROARING 20'S and ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES aren't included in Original Gangsters collection???Wtf Warner?

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Excited for the Mad Max set! I've held off on getting those films on Blu until Beyond Thunderdome was released. Hopefully there will be some new bonus material as well.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by SD_Brian /t/324196/whv-announcement-warner-bros-celebrates-90th-anniversary-with-best-of-warner-bros-collections-and-more-in-2013/30#post_3984093
Excited for the Mad Max set! I've held off on getting those films on Blu until Beyond Thunderdome was released. Hopefully there will be some new bonus material as well.
I just picked up Mad Max this weekend to go with my copy of Road Warrior, so you're welcome! :P

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Oliver Siegel said:
Why the hell ROARING 20'S and ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES aren't included in Original Gangsters collection???Wtf Warner?
I just read the Digital Bits full story, and it does say 'part of', so possibly the other two films from the original DVD set are included (just not called out).
David
Also, I noticed that Easter Parade is at least listed as TBA, so for me, that is a tiny step in the right direction. (missed that in my first read through)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks