What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (3 Viewers)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yesterday I watched Witness To Murder, another United Artists movie in the Kino Lorber Box-set where MGM have not provided subtitles. The film stars Barbara Stanwyck and George Sanders, two of Hollywood's finest, and they really do knock sparks off each other!

It was only last night that I learned Gina Lollobrigida died a few days ago. I always liked her and believe that, because of her looks, she was a bit underrated so today I'm going to watch two of her films. One will be Woman Of Straw with the magnificent Sean Connery. I'll decide the second later, but probably one of Trapeze, FanFan Le Tulipe or La Loi (The Law)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Yesterday I watched Witness To Murder, another United Artists movie in the Kino Lorber Box-set where MGM have not provided subtitles. The film stars Barbara Stanwyck and George Sanders, two of Hollywood's finest, and they really do knock sparks off each other!

It was only last night that I learned Gina Lollobrigida died a few days ago. I always liked her and believe that, because of her looks, she was a bit underrated so today I'm going to watch two of her films. One will be Woman Of Straw with the magnificent Sean Connery. I'll decide the second later, but probably one of Trapeze, FanFan Le Tulipe or La Loi (The Law)
Fan Fan la Tulipe or La loi would be my choices.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I watched yesterday Star Trek the motion picture (theatrical cut) in 4K, and tonight I'll watch The Wrath of Khan (theatrical cut).
I found the first film weak story-wise, but very impressive nonetheless!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
IMG_5884.JPG
IMG_5885.JPG

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
M3GAN
Originally Released: 01/06/2023
Watched: 01/29/2023
4K UHD digital streaming on Apple TV app via Roku Ultra

M3GAN (2022) Poster

Recommended?
Yes

Why? While I don't know that it quite lived up to the hype for me, this horror comedy about a lethal artificial intelligence in the body of a second grader is still a lot of fun.

More thoughts (which may contain spoilers) are available here.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've had too much going on lately to contribute regularly to this thread...

But here's something which surprised me. Peg and I had had a recent discussion about The Emperor's Club (2002, Kevin Kline). Our daughter was valedictorian of her high school class in 2003 and quoted the film. So we talked about revisiting it--which we did the other night.

I had to go to the DVD section of my collection (segregated and relegated to an obscure corner of the house) to find my copy.

41qYLdPLuZL._AC_SY580_.jpg

Parts of the film were shot locally (adding another layer of interest to the production for us). The PQ suffered from being in SD. That's not much of a surprise. The surprise came when I realized there was no HD disc to upgrade, if desired. It turns out the story itself disappointed us a bit. It was very much by-the-numbers and not very well done at that. But a good cast (Kline, Emile Hirsch, Patrick Dempsey, Paul Dano, Rob Morrow, Jesse Eisenberg and Edward Herrmann) helped out a middling script.

I guess this is just one of those films from that era which has never seen an upgrade on disc.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I rewatched The Long Goodbye last night. It's always a pleasure to pull down this Altman version of Raymond Chandler-land and experience it again.

I have the Arrow Blu-ray. Is there any difference at all with the current Blu-ray release on this side of the pond, I wonder?

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I have the Arrow Blu-ray. Is there any difference at all with the current Blu-ray release on this side of the pond, I wonder?
If you're talking about video quality, you can check the screenshot comparisons here:

The 2021 version of Kino has better gamma I see and colors (coming from a 4k restoration), though we don't know what was the original look of the film.
I'm keeping my Arrow Blu-ray though because it has the isolated score that I am interested in.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Loving my new Panavision 3D lens so we'll continue a week of 3D movies.
Tonight one of the best animated movies of all time....
HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON-3D. One hour and 38 minutes of beautiful animation and 3D.
35mm, SDDS, DTS. Scope

dragon.jpg

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I was browsing Ebay this morning and I came across a couple of publicity photos for the little-known Western Powder River, so I decided to watch that film today. It's basically a riff on My Darling Clementine and is pretty feeble in comparison with that marvellous movie. It does however have a few redeeming elements, one of which is the presence of Penny Edwards who normally played in B feature Westerns. There's also a suspenseful sequence where a ferry boat is attacked and drifts towards some rapids.

I have the Spanish DVD from Impulso which released several 20th Century Fox movies on DVD about twenty or so years ago.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Vengeance
Originally Released: 07/29/2022
Watched: 01/31/2023
4k digital streaming on Amazon Prime Video via Roku Ultra

Vengeance (2022) Poster

Recommended?
Yes

Why? This movie begins as a black comedy and ends as a neo-noir. Its protagonist undergoes a profound transformation over the course of its running time, and finishes the movie committing to a course of action that would have been inconceivable at the beginning.

Ben Manalowitz is a contributor to The New Yorker and an up and comer in the Manhattan intelligencia. When one of his random hookups dies of an overdose in rural Texas, he finds himself cajoled into flying down for her funeral. What he finds there is both crazier and more multi-faceted than he could have imagined. The dumb moments are very obvious, but the smart moments sneak up rather slyly on you.

The cast is terrific: B.J. Novak writes, directs, and stars as Ben, someone with a background very much like his own in a world very unlike the one he grew up in. Boyd Holbrook is charismatic as the dead girl's older brother. Isabella Amara plays the artsy goth sister, who proves to be much more cultured than Ben is, for all of his credentials. Dove Cameron is unflinchingly committed as youngest sister K.C., who knows she wants to be famous even if she doesn't quite know what for. Issa Rae is a podcast producer who gets sucked into this story almost against her will. And Ashton Kutcher plays against type as the smooth talking record producer.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yesterday I watched Once Upon A Time In The West, a film I don't watch very often. I'm not a fan of taking ten minutes to show what would have been done in two by directors like Victor Fleming, William Wellman and Raoul Walsh. I do however like the cast a lot and that's why once every few years I give the film another try.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks