What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (5 Viewers)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Sparrows (Milestone BD) 1926. This is one helluva movie. Pickford's late silent masterpiece and a horrific film involving children. I can well imagine the original audience gasping at the brutality and squalor these kids endure, and their escape is nothing short of Hitchcockian in its hair-raising suspense. Shot by a crackerjack team of cinematographers: Charles Rosher, Hal Mohr and Karl Struss. This is highly recommended.
Victoria the Great (Network Zone B BD) 1937. Solid pageant directed by journeyman Herbert Wilcox who used the many talents of his wife, Anna Neagle, quite well. Neagle was a handsome woman who could act, sing and dance. She did Victoria a favor, for Victoria was far from a handsome woman. The always excellent Anton Walbrook played Prince Albert. The finale was shot in Technicolor. The BFI used the best and longest elements available and the transfer looks quite good, even the Technicolor. The print runs 121 minutes (IMDb lists a shorter running time). I'd seen this before at MoMA even with the color finale (which includes an unfortunate, albeit brief, blackface number), but I don't recall the running time.
Sixty Glorious Years (Network Zone B BD) 1938. Shot in Technicolor, this appendage to 1937's Victoria the Great fleshes out or expands incidents in the life of the monarch and her prince. The same team repeats their efforts here with basically the same results: if you liked the the first film, you'll like the second one. I should add that both films were shot by the great F.A. Young, his first forays into Technicolor. I hope the name sounds familiar... I also attended a screening of this film at MoMA.
Evergreen (Network Region 2 PAL DVD) 1934. Could this be Jessie Matthews best film? Imaginatively directed by Victor Saville, the film has a knock-out number called "When You've Got a Little Springtime in Your Heart" which travels back in time from 1934 to 1904. When it stops in 1914 it becomes a mechanized ballet which grows frantic as the munitions factory (the shells are chorus girls) conveyor belt increases production speed and the lighting grows darker and the editing is brisker and the whole thing becomes a cacophony of confusion. Brilliant! And of course, there is the beautiful solo dancing of Matthews as she sings the gorgeous Rodgers and Hart melody "Dancing on the Ceiling." Bliss.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
On the TCM app:

220px-Kim_-_Poster.jpg

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Baptiste (PBS Masterpiece HD) Series 1. Streamed the first 5 (of 6) episodes. The last was not available. Good, bloody police procedural starring Tcheky Kerio.
The Good Companions (Network Region 2 PAL DVD) 1957. It is a cardinal rule that a lover of superlative screen acting will watch any film with the sublime Celia Johnson in the cast. So it is with this pleasant diversion, an all-out musical, Technicolor, Cinemascope remake of the eponymous 1932 film starring Jessie Matthews and John Gielgud (a fine film). This remake has many fine actors and a good director, J. Lee Thompson, not know for handling this type of material. It may be inferior to the 1932 version, but it's worth a watch if only for the great cast.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Plot against America (HBO HD) Penultimate chapter. The Jewish population are feeling the squeeze from President Lindbergh and Henry Ford and other members of the Cabinet. Things are coming to a head.
My Brilliant Friend: The Story of a New Name (HBO HD) The friendship of 2 young women in mid-century Naples.
Biography of a Bachelor Girl (TCM app) 1935. Bowdlerized version of SN Berhman's B'way hit. Anita Loos's screenplay keeps enough zingers for Ann Harding to shine in a drawing-room comedy with serious overtones, much like she did in Holiday, The Animal Kingdom and When Ladies Meet. Robert Montgomery is her sparring partner. This is a delight. Very old transfer.
The Souvenir (Amazon Prime HD) 2019. Joanna Hogg awakens divisiveness in the audience. Nonetheless, Part 2 of this movie will open sometime in the uncertain future. This part tells the story of a young English woman of privilege who enters into an abusive relationship with a drug user. She is also an aspiring film maker. Tilda Swinton shines as her mother (she's also the actress's mother in real life). Hogg follows her usual modus operandi: ellipsis, glossing over important details; and yet, if you're willing to work with her, the payoff is there. I'd have ended the film with the penultimate shot, but hey, that's me.
Witchhammer (Amazon Prime HD) 1970. An allegory on Stalin's trials and Communism via admission of guilt after excruciating torture (so familiar still today in democratic governments, alas!), this Czech film is superb as it paints the persecution of "witches" in late 17th century Austria. The inquisitor fabricates all evidence (via torture) so he can seize the property of the guilty and enrich himself, so what begins as an attack on poor, old women, soon reaches into the higher rungs of wealthy society. Since this is a true story, we are told at the end of this excellent movie that the inquisitor died at a ripe old age, and even married. Proof positive that there is no justice in this world.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Just started season 3 of Ozark on Netflix. Mixed feelings about the overall series but Jason Bateman has to be the very best at accepting his typecast fate in pretty much everything he does.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Tonight's Feature:

61knofPwcuL._AC_.jpg

Peg and I enjoyed this. It was our first-time viewing it. I think I enjoyed it a bit more than she did (and I swear that wasn't just because of 23-year old Hope Lange!).

I love "small town" movies. And this was the quintessential small town with big, underlying problems. What an incredible cast helping to tell a story that's been done to death (since this movie) but it still seemed relatively fresh and I can only imagine how scandalous it must have felt to 1957 audiences. Beautiful locations and I'll forgive some momentary lapses in how the justice system works and a couple of characters who acted "out of character" for dramatic effect. I don't think I've ever seen such a small town with such a disproportionate share of beautiful young people! :D

I now know what all the hub-bub was about. Thank you to Twilight Time for getting this film out in HD.

MV5BZTY0OTA3MDUtODI5ZS00ZGZjLWIyZWUtNmQ4ZDI2MzdhYjMwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzk3NTUwOQ@@._V1_.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Growing up in the 1960’s, in a household with two older sisters, I was exposed at a very early age to this movie and the TV series derived from it. Even my mother was a big fan. It was a suck situation for me to say the least. By my high school years, with my sisters out of the house, I still hated the TV series, but appreciated the movie because I had a crush on Hope Lange too.:)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Tonight's Feature:

61knofPwcuL._AC_.jpg

Peg and I enjoyed this. It was our first-time viewing it. I think I enjoyed it a bit more than she did (and I swear that wasn't just because of 23-year old Hope Lange!).

I love "small town" movies. And this was the quintessential small town with big, underlying problems. What an incredible cast helping to tell a story that's been done to death (since this movie) but it still seemed relatively fresh and I can only imagine how scandalous it must have felt to 1957 audiences. Beautiful locations and I'll forgive some momentary lapses in how the justice system works and a couple of characters who acted "out of character" for dramatic effect. I don't think I've ever seen such a small town with such a disproportionate share of beautiful young people! :D

I now know what all the hub-bub was about. Thank you to Twilight Time for getting this film out in HD.

MV5BZTY0OTA3MDUtODI5ZS00ZGZjLWIyZWUtNmQ4ZDI2MzdhYjMwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzk3NTUwOQ@@._V1_.jpg

I first fell in love with Hope Lange when I saw The Best Of Everything. Shortly after I saw the two films she made with Glenn Ford and then The Young Lions. I still think she's marvellous and I never tire of watching her films.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
814GLW8tmwL.jpg_SR247,139__BG0,0,0_.jpg

Going back to my comfort food. Watched all of the Beaumont Shaynes. Best quality I've ever seen them in but not restored - lots of dust and scratches. A fun watch but not as good as Lloyd Nolan
Started on Mr. Moto plus last night it was
v1.bjs1NTc5NjE7ajsxODQxMTsxMjAwOzEyODA7NzIw

A fair entry of BB flix but not the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks