What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (3 Viewers)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Tonight's Feature:

61knofPwcuL._AC_.jpg

Peg and I enjoyed this. It was our first-time viewing it. I think I enjoyed it a bit more than she did (and I swear that wasn't just because of 23-year old Hope Lange!).

I love "small town" movies. And this was the quintessential small town with big, underlying problems. What an incredible cast helping to tell a story that's been done to death (since this movie) but it still seemed relatively fresh and I can only imagine how scandalous it must have felt to 1957 audiences. Beautiful locations and I'll forgive some momentary lapses in how the justice system works and a couple of characters who acted "out of character" for dramatic effect. I don't think I've ever seen such a small town with such a disproportionate share of beautiful young people! :D

I now know what all the hub-bub was about. Thank you to Twilight Time for getting this film out in HD.

MV5BZTY0OTA3MDUtODI5ZS00ZGZjLWIyZWUtNmQ4ZDI2MzdhYjMwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzk3NTUwOQ@@._V1_.jpg
This is one case where the film improves over the novel. I first saw it in a revival during my teen years (way too young in '57) by which time I had secretly read the book. There are so many good performances in the film; lush cinematography and a gorgeous score. BTW, Norman is really gay, but the Production Code would have none of it.
Have you seen Kings Row, another "expose" of small-town rot? Great film with Reagan's best screen performance.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Tuesday:
The Third Day (TCM) 1965. Above average amnesia thriller lifted by the handsome and talented couple, George Peppard and Elizabeth Ashley (saw her live as Maggie in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, hot all right!).
The Man Who Never Was (TCM) 1956. Revisited this fine wartime tale of an operation that helped the Allies take Sicily. Clifton Webb is fine as a British officer; Stephen Boyd gets a lot of early accolades as an Irish Nazi collaborator (there were many Irish nationalists who hated the British so much that they were willing to side with the Germans); and Gloria Grahame delivers a touching supporting performance.
Lilith (Indicator Zone Free BD) 1964. I hadn't seen this superlative film since it opened and so much had stayed with me, particularly the shattering ending. This is Robert Rossen's last film, a director I've grown to admire since I was 14. Jean Seberg delivers her best and most complex performance. Warren Beatty, Kim Hunter, Peter Fonda, and Gene Hackman (in a cameo) are all impressive as well. But the most memorable is Eugen Shuftan's shimmering cinematography, rendered impeccably in this transfer. Highly recommended.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Wednesday:
To Live and Die in L.A. (Shout Select) 1985. Friedkin's thriller holds up quite well aided by 3 key performances (Petersen, Dafoe and Pankow), and the fantastic cinematography of Robbie Mueller. Of course, Friedkin tosses another amazing car chase in the mix, just because he does them so well...And of course, there's that surprise ending...Very enjoyable.
Pasolini (Kino BD) 2014. Never released in this country, Abel Ferrara's film stars Willem Dafoe (a double feature!) as Pasolini, basically retracing his last day, but interweaving scenes from Salo, scenes from his novels, scenes from his upcoming project, scenes from his past. It's hard to believe that Pasolini's vicious murder occurred 45 years ago! Of course, I had to watch this film after having watched Pasolini's Trilogy of Life released by Criterion.
The Witches of Salem aka The Crucible (Pathe Zone Free BD) 1957. Close in the heels of the Broadway production of Miller's play, this French version starring the famous couple Simone Signoret and Yves Montand, seconded by Mylene Demongeot as Abigail, takes the skeleton of the play (the Salem witch trials) and fleshes it out with the screenwriter's (Sartre) existential philosophy. And it is the richer for it. Exceptional film in stark black and white. Inspired to watch it after Monday's screening of Witchhammer. This film is highly recommended.
The League of Gentlemen (Network Zone B) 1960. A witty script by Bryan Forbes, who also acts in it; inspired direction by Basil Dearden; and a great cast of British character actors; all contribute to a fun film about a group of cashiered officers who join forces in order to rob a bank. All the officers have a shady past but are highly skilled. They have the potential to get away with it...

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Thursday:
Visa to Canton aka Passport to China (Indicator Zone B) 1960. Richard Basehart stars in a Hammer film that is a mildly diverting action thriller. Bamboo curtain and all that. Very good transfer. Lisa Gastoni is very good eye candy.
Konga (Kino BD) 1961. First seen at that time as a child. Quite impressive then. Now it's all about Gough chewing up all the scenery, and he's so good at it! Now, how does a chimpanzee grow into a gigantic man-in-a-suit gorilla? Good transfer.
Sundays and Cybèle (Criterion BD) 1962. Sublime. Oscar for Best Foreign Film. I saw this at age 12 and never forgot it. This is just my second viewing and was as entranced and devastated as the first time. Shot by the great Henri Decae (look him up) and starring Hardy Krueger, who turned 92 on 12 April, and the remarkable child actress Patricia Gozzi (for another great performance, see her in Rapture, a Twilight Time release). This is essential viewing. And no, this poetic film is not a paean to pedophilia. Shame on those who think that.
The Scarlet Blade aka The Crimson Blade (Indicator Zone B BD) 1963. Terrific Jack Asher cinematography in this Hammer production of Roundheads vs. Cavaliers. Oliver Reed plays an opportunist Roundhead who is so cynical that he is just plain fun. Lots of derring-do with an unpredictable ending. Good transfer.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This is one case where the film improves over the novel. I first saw it in a revival during my teen years (way too young in '57) by which time I had secretly read the book. There are so many good performances in the film; lush cinematography and a gorgeous score. BTW, Norman is really gay, but the Production Code would have none of it.
Have you seen Kings Row, another "expose" of small-town rot? Great film with Reagan's best screen performance.

Jose: Thanks for those comments! My wife was picking up on the gay vibe from the character of Norman. I didn't. But I can be thick that way sometimes. I was so happy that I found so much to like in this movie.

LOVE the Kings Row recommendation. I've heard about that film for years but have never seen it. I'm on it. I see Amazon has a Warner Archive DVD for sale. And there's an all-region Blu for sale on Amazon...but it's from Spain. That's not always a good idea. Any input?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
@bujaki , To Live and Die In LA really is a good flick. A distinctly not Daphne Moon, non-speaking role in it from Jane Leeves as well.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jose: Thanks for those comments! My wife was picking up on the gay vibe from the character of Norman. I didn't. But I can be thick that way sometimes. I was so happy that I found so much to like in this movie.

LOVE the Kings Row recommendation. I've heard about that film for years but have never seen it. I'm on it. I see Amazon has a Warner Archive DVD for sale. And there's an all-region Blu for sale on Amazon...but it's from Spain. That's not always a good idea. Any input?
Mike,

I'm not sure if you're into streaming, but iTunes has the "King's Row" HD digital available for purchase at $7.99.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero

I used to watch Kings Row quite often over the air when I was a child (!!!) and then I read the novel, much better written than Peyton Place. It also fleshes out incidents that the Production Code would not allow on the film, but that I, as a prescient child, picked up nonetheless. And they were not nice...
The film is blessed with the extraordinary production design of Wm. Cameron Menzies, the soaring score by Korngold, James Wong Howe's cinematography, and superb acting. The weakest link is Robert Cummings in the lead. Everyone else is at the top of their game, including the normally bland Reagan.
The last time I saw this film was at MoMA in 1973. It was such a gorgeous 35mm nitrate print that nothing short of a major restoration by WA on a BD would better it.
Wholeheartedly recommended.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike,

I'm not sure if you're into streaming, but iTunes has the "King's Row" HD digital available for purchase at $7.99.
Thx, Robert. Already ordered the DVD.

I used to watch Kings Row quite often over the air when I was a child (!!!) and then I read the novel, much better written than Peyton Place. It also fleshes out incidents that the Production Code would not allow on the film, but that I, as a prescient child, picked up nonetheless. And they were not nice...
The film is blessed with the extraordinary production design of Wm. Cameron Menzies, the soaring score by Korngold, James Wong Howe's cinematography, and superb acting. The weakest link is Robert Cummings in the lead. Everyone else is at the top of their game, including the normally bland Reagan.
The last time I saw this film was at MoMA in 1973. It was such a gorgeous 35mm nitrate print that nothing short of a major restoration by WA on a BD would better it.
Wholeheartedly recommended.

It came to me as I was watching Peyton Place that having the characters interact while walking from place to place in town was similar to the use of Stars Hollows and the broad cast of townsfolk characters on Gilmore Girls (another fave of mine). So I think I'm on to something with my leanings towards films shot in small town settings. That kind of leisurely pace must take me to my happy place! :D

Hmmmm. When I go to the Magic Kingdom at Disney World, it would also be very easy for me to just hang out all day/night on Main Street, USA! :laugh:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Friday:
Sinful Davey (TCM app) 1969. Picaresque romp directed by John Huston. Somewhat obscure and "disowned" by the director, it remains, in my eyes, a funny account of the "sins" that led Davey Haggart to the gallows, where he wrote his memoirs. The cast is really good, including the young Pamela Franklin. Unfortunately, the transfer is nothing short of horrendous, shaming the work of DoP's Freddie Young and Edward Scaife.
I Don't Want to Sleep Alone (Criterion Channel) 2006. And now for something completely different. A film directed by Tsai Ming-Liang, set in Kuala Lumpur, that is so slow and contemplative, that it barely registers any plot, although there is one. Hardly any dialogue, but if you pay attention to the evolving action, you will understand the relationships. Buddhism and Islam are important, as empathy and care for fellow human beings take an important role in these beings dynamics. Not for all tastes. The transfer is old and tired.
Séance on a Wet Afternoon (Network Zone B BD) 1964. Written and directed by Bryan Forbes. Two great performances: Kim Stanley, who unfortunately kept her film appearances to a minimum; and Richard Attenborough. A suspense thriller detailing a woman's unmooring from reality and her husband's patient love and understanding, mixed with horror and pity. Amazing film. Beautiful transfer of great B&W cinematography. Highly recommended.
The Brigand of Kandahar (Indicator Zone B BD) 1965. Hammer in India 1850. Sexy Yvonne Romain. Lip-smacking villain Oliver Reed. An ending cribbed from Duel in the Sun. A film described as a matinee for kids of all ages. That about sums it up. It's fun, though. And the transfer is quite good. Fun after that Seance.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched two movies today: Frozen II in 4K (my first viewing) and The Long Goodbye (probably the sixth or seventh time I've watched it).

Frozen II was entertaining enough, but it didn't quite sweep me away either musically or dramatically though the animation was wonderful.

I think I had forgotten how much Elliott Gould smokes in The Long Goodbye. I don't think there is a single scene that he isn't smoking in it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
A week or so ago, Peg and I enjoyed rewatching Fiddler on the Roof.

Tonight we watched:

FiddlerAMiracleOfMiracles2019.jpg

This is a marvelous documentary on the history of Fiddler on the Roof. How the musical came to be, its origins in the stories of Shalom Aleichem, the various productions and interviews with various cast members, songwriters, Harold Prince, etc.

It is comprehensive. It occasionally veers into some sidebars (including some unfortunate contemporary political points) but there are way too many interesting stories about the production and its universality to say it detracts too much. It is extremely entertaining and informative.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Having read last week a fascinating re-assessment of the evidence unearthed by the police when investigating the British great train robbery, I decided to watch again the movie Robbery directed by Peter Yates and starring Stanley Baker. It's a good film and the early car chase sequence brought the director to Hollywood to make Bullitt. The Blu-ray disc will annoy those who are sensitive to grain removal as the faces all seem remarkably smooth, even those which are pock-marked!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks