What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (3 Viewers)

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Just finished watching INVADERS FROM MARS (1953) on the Shout Channel thru my Amazon FireStick, and what a treat it was!

it was not the full English version or the Wade Williams chopped up version, but the original theatrical version! I don’t think I’ve ever seen this version. Maybe when it first aired on TV?

It was a damn good print, now only if someone would put that out...maybe like Shout?

...”gee whiz” were the final words uttered at the end.

also, BEHEMOTH THE SEA MONSTER (1.37). Beautiful English print. Was this AR and English title on the BD release? Also, this version includes the original fx that was “fixed” on the WB release.

Going to have to see what other sci-fi gems are showing!

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Tonight's offering:

22756511861.jpg

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Shining (WB BD) 1980. The British Cut. About 20 minutes shorter, cut by Mr. Kubrick himself.
The Shining (WB 4K UHD Dolby Vision BD) 1980. About 20 minutes longer than the British Cut. Mr. Kubrick's original version.

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Immaculate Conception (Indicator BD Zone Free) 1992. A barren couple trying to conceive gets involved with a shrine run by eunuchs in Karachi, setting up an interesting clash of cultures: Muslim, Jewish/American, Christian/British. This is the third film I've seen by this director, Jamil Dehlavi, and all have been quite interesting. This one has very good performances from Pakistani actors and James Wilby and Melissa Leo. Offbeat but recommended.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
The Shining (WB BD) 1980. The British Cut. About 20 minutes shorter, cut by Mr. Kubrick himself.
The Shining (WB 4K UHD Dolby Vision BD) 1980. About 20 minutes longer than the British Cut. Mr. Kubrick's original version.
So, what thinkest thou on the differences between the two versions?

Most people poo-poo the UK cut, but I think it's a lot scarier.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
So, what thinkest thou on the differences between the two versions?

Most people poo-poo the UK cut, but I think it's a lot scarier.
It omits extraneous material, so it gets to the horror much faster. And yet, I think all of Wendy's horrific visions should have been kept (only a few are shown).

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Last night I watched Ministry Of Fear. I've never much liked this film because many of the plot points are so stupid but the excellent Blu-ray rendition makes clear that Fritz Lang was a master film director. Ray Milland was really good.

I'm probably going to watch Along The Great Divide tonight. That most reliable combination: Raoul Walsh directing Virginia Mayo!

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
Three Coins in the Fountain (1954) - We watched this over the weekend on a recently acquired Twilight Time blu-ray. The star of the show, of course, is Italy shot in Cinemascope. The story of the three women looking for love is competently done and the cast is solid, but I could have just watched watched those wide screen shots of Italy and listened to Frank Sinatra for 102 minutes. One thing that struck me was the fact that the Dorothy McGuire character talks about being in Rome for the past 15 years which would mean over the war years. I kind of want to see that movie.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Three Coins in the Fountain (1954) - We watched this over the weekend on a recently acquired Twilight Time blu-ray. The star of the show, of course, is Italy shot in Cinemascope. The story of the three women looking for love is competently done and the cast is solid, but I could have just watched watched those wide screen shots of Italy and listened to Frank Sinatra for 102 minutes. One thing that struck me was the fact that the Dorothy McGuire character talks about being in Rome for the past 15 years which would mean over the war years. I kind of want to see that movie.
Dorothy McGuire and Anna Magnani in Rome, Open City; and also in Paisa, etc., The mind reels...

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Windermere Children (PBS HD) 2020. Affecting based on real life story of a group of Holocaust children relocated to this estate in England in order to rehabilitate them to face the real world. Harrowing, life affirming. Recommended.
World on Fire: Season One (PBS HD) 2019. Streamed all 7 episodes. What did Helen Hunt do to her face? She looks ghastly! I'm a sucker for such a series as this one. One plot line is a little far fetched. Some of the veteran actors are so good that it bears watching (Sean Bean, Lesley Manville).

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I went back to Shout Factory for some more sci-fi and found FLIGHT THAT DISAPPEARED that I had never heard of. B&W short movie at 73 min. was more a Twilight Zone episode.

Next up was BEYOND THE TIME BARRIER which was a way better copy than Sinister Cinema edition. Both 1.37:1 and same run time.

EARTH vs THE SPIDER which was at 1.85:1 (Their new release will be 1.85:1 ) an same runtime as Cult Classics but CC AR was 1.37:1.

UNKNOWN WORLD was the best copy I have ever seen. Better than mine.

TROLLENBERG TERROR (THE CRAWLING EYE) lousy print at 1.37:1 while the SD is 1.66:1. The Shout print ran 78.13 while the SD ran 83.52. I flipped back and forth and couldn’t find the difference.

I wish I had seen the ad for it sooner, maybe they’ll run it again.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Until the End of the World (Criterion BD) 2014 version running 287 minutes. This transfer is eye candy. It just makes you want to see more and more of this film that works at so many levels. Globe-trotting adventure spy story; science fiction; love story(ies); abuse of technology; and much more...Fascinating performances from an eclectic cast. Haunting music. Cinematography that is beautiful and innovative. There are just so many layers to this film. It has to be experienced.
The Plot against America (HBO HD) The series continues as the noose tightens against Jews under President Lindbergh and his alliance with Hitler. Scary stuff.
My Brilliant Friend: The Story of a New Name (HBO HD) Italian series about the friendship of two young women in the '60s in Naples. Insightful study of class and wealth.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Until the End of the World (Criterion BD) 2014 version running 287 minutes. This transfer is eye candy. It just makes you want to see more and more of this film that works at so many levels. Globe-trotting adventure spy story; science fiction; love story(ies); abuse of technology; and much more...Fascinating performances from an eclectic cast. Haunting music. Cinematography that is beautiful and innovative. There are just so many layers to this film. It has to be experienced.
I did a blind buy of that during their last 50% off sale. Haven't watched it yet. I'm finally replacing the old plasma in my HT this week, so the time might be coming.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
April 7th, 2020 Tuesday

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
4K UHD Blu-ray / HDR10
Upscaled 4K
Dolby Atmos 7.1.4

Star Wars Collection 4_2020.jpg

Yankee Doodle Dandy
HD Digital / 4K Apple TV
Mono upmixed to 7 channel mono

Yankee_Doodle_Dandy_(1942_poster).jpg

Smokey And The Bandit
1080p HD Digital upconverted to 4K / 4K Apple TV
Dolby 5.1 upmixed to Auro 7.1

Smokey And The Bandit A.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks