What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (5 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
On iTunes in 4K/Dolby Vision:

220px-Fast_Color.jpeg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Knowing (2009): I've seen Knowing several times, and I think it's fascinating. I know it's too much, or seems to be too unfocused for a lot of people, but I don't have a problem with it. What is it? Supernatural Mystery? Science Fiction? Disaster Movie? Horror? Religious Fable? Sure. What else ya got? I think that's its greatest strength, not a weakness. This was my first time watching the UHD disc, and even though I don't have a 4K display in my main HT yet, the Atmos soundtrack is great.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Oh my! You had to watch that without your wife present, not with all that profanity.

She's not prudish about profanity as much as she doesn't like action/gore/horror.

But I watched The Hitman's Bodyguard with the wireless headphones to allow her the opportunity to work on her writing projects without interruption and distraction. It's definitely a film she wouldn't have enjoyed.

There were a fair number of holes in the film's plot but I rather enjoyed the interplay between the two leads.

I haven't seen a lot of Ryna Reynold movies but this character sure seemed an awful lot like his Deadpool character. And Samuel J.'s character was pretty much what we have grown to expect from him.

The whole thing was fun enough.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Tonight's feature:

BiggestLittleFarm_FacebookBanner-v2-01.jpg

This is a documentary about the effort by a couple to leave behind their careers and start a farm. Interestingly, the director of the film is the male half of the couple. His prior career was as a cameraman and in video production. They took a dead farm in California--about an hour outside LA--and went about converting it into a revitalized ecosystem which would sustain a wide variety of crops and livestock. They had their share of problems and triumphs throughout...many of which were somehow incredibly documented by a group of very talented cameramen. It was also well written.

This film really spoke to me and Peg. There was a dog at the heart of it all and the film bears the message that its never too late to make major changes in our lives and to reach for our dreams. There is a huge thread throughout about getting back to basics and getting back to nature.

This film was much more interesting than a lot of things I've seen from Hollywood in recent years.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Birth Certificate (Studio Filmowe Tor BD Zone Free) 1962. Polish film based on 3 novellas revealing "a tense atmosphere of life under enemy (Nazi) occupation, seen through the eyes of children". Very appropriate to commemorate the Polish patriots who died at the start of the War and those who resisted the occupation. The third story deals with a Jewish girl. All 3 stories are understated and are open ended. Acting, direction, B&W cinematography (Academy ratio) are top notch. High recommendation.
The Outsider (Le Marginal) (Kino BD) 1983. Belmondo vs. Henry Silva. Drugs in Marseille and corruption in Paris. Exciting foot and car chases with Belmondo executing his own stunts. Morricone scores the film.
On Golden Pond (Shout BD) 1981. Multiple Oscar winner lensed by Billy Williams. Beautiful encoding of a film I hadn't seen in decades.
The Third Wife (Film Movement DVD) 2018. This gorgeous first feature film from director Ash Mayfair is shot in a strange ratio of 1.49:1. Alas, it's only available domestically as a DVD (BD in Europe). It tells the story of a 14-year-old third wife in late 19th century Viet Nam. It builds inexorably to a quiet climax of desperate devastation.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I got sidetracked today and didn't get to Ordeal by Innocence. Tonight, I did have time to watch Tarzan's Desert Adventure from the TCM app. I hadn't seen this film in probably forty years. I bought the RKO/Tarzan box set of DVDs, but only watched a couple of the films in it. Took me back to many childhood memories of watching a local channel's Jungle Theatre every Sunday afternoon where the Tarzan films, the Bomba films, and the Jungle Jim films were shown on a perpetual cycle.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Neither Peg nor I really thought very much about this film after our first-time viewing tonight:

jezebel_38_24sh_a.jpg

The players were okay. The story was bland. It just didn't draw us in at all.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Lookout (2007): Joseph Gordon-Levitt stars as Chris Pratt, a former high school hockey star who, like so many adolescents, thought he was indestructible and in an astounding act of stupidity got a couple of his friends killed and now lives with brain damage that makes it difficult to remember the sequence of things, and how to accomplish tasks. This is a crime story, as Chris is taken advantage of to help in a bank heist. Several interesting characters, good acting and writing, and an overall excellent character study. It's difficult to see how people treat Chris, especially who some of those people are.

Insurgent (2015): Part II of the Divergent Series. More YA dystopian rebellion as Tris and Four fight the system and run for their lives. This one seems like it cranks up the violence from the first, but it might be more an issue of just how far the bad guys are willing to go in order to accomplish their goal. Still, a decent actioner in my book. I guess I just like dystopian rebellion movies.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Just spent all night watching the full Disney lineup that I had recorded off TCM the previous night. Still have Fun and Fancy Free to watch. Was pleasantly surprised at the (I presume) uncut version of The Happiest Millionaire, with overture and in stereo sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks