1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What's on your Daily Viewing List?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Crawford, May 11, 2013.

1. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

[​IMG]

2. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    The Blind Menace (AnimEigo DVD) 1960.Before Katsu Shintaro portrayed Zatoichi, he played this blind masseur who was the exact opposite of the famed blind swordsman: a thoroughly evil man. Oh, how you wish for his comeuppance! Good PQ.
    A Knight's Tale (Sony BD) 2001. A film I swore I'd never watch because I'm a medievalist by scholastic studies. And here I am, enjoying it and being moved by it. Oh well, never say never.
    To Joy (Criterion BD) 1950. Wading back into Bergman's waters. Scenes from a Marriage, beginning with a death and ending with Beethoven's Ode to Joy. Two contrasting marriages, one filled with beauty and occasional ugliness; the other quite monstrous. Long takes and sweeping camera movements. The well-acquitted acting ensemble includes Victor Sjostrom, the great director who was Bergman's mentor, and who later starred in Wild Strawberries. A beautiful film.

3. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    It's a hoot.

4. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Tonight, I watched The Happiest Millionaire from the TCM app. I hadn't watched my DVD of this movie in a long, long time, so this broadcast reminded me that despite some snappy songs and a very expensive looking production, the movie does sort of meander a bit. The cast list is just chock full of talent, but they aren't always utilized fully. As a big musical follow-up to Mary Poppins, it's a bit of a letdown. Bedknobs and Broomsticks was a much worthier musical follow-up to Poppins.

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
  6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

On that one we disagree, Matt. I can't make it through BaB...and, to me, The Happiest Millionaire is another Sherman Brothers epic! :D

7. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Popeye The Sailor: The 1940s Vol. One (WA BD) The first 4 cartoons. Funny and wonderful PQ. Will work my way slowly through this volume and Number Two. Number 3 is coming from BB.
    Wagon Master (WA BD) 1950. Ford's gentle Western. Only snakes get shot. Hadn't seen this one in a very long time, not since a theatrical showing in NY. Excellent transfer.
    This Transient Life (Arrow Academy BD) 1970. Part One of The Buddhist Trilogy. Directed by Jissoji Akio. Winner of the 1970 Golden Leopard Award at the Locarno Film Festival. Influenced by the New Wave, but has aged well. A story of fraternal incest that leads to disaster. Lots of sex and nudity. A meditation on Buddhist themes of time, transience, hell and heaven. I'll watch the rest of the trilogy soon.
    Flying Tigers (Olive BD) 1942. Ragged print elements. Enjoyable film highlighting the heroics of the Tigers and the plight of the Chinese during the Japanese invasion. Always great to see the Mae Clarke.
    1928 Olympic Games in The Netherlands (Criterion BD) This is over 4 hours. Watched close to 90 minutes. Excellent camera work. PQ is very good. Will watch the remainder soon.

8. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Yesterday I watched Rififi, a film I love and admire equally. I first saw this in a repertory theatre when I was about sixteen. I felt then it was a great film and I have never changed my opinion.

Today I'm going to watch Marathon Man which I haven't seen since the Blu-ray disc first entered my collection.

9. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I'm going to be listening to the commentary on Whirlpool tonight. I'll be reviewing the Blu-ray release later this month, but the commentary from the DVD is being ported over to the Blu-ray, and I've never listened to it before. I can't say I'm greatly anticipating it since it's by one of my least favorite commentators: Richard Schickel. But maybe this one will be a surprise.

10. Robert Crawford

Robert
    At my local cinemas the following films on Tuesday and Wednesday:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dave Moritz likes this.
  11. JohnRice

John
    Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters (2013): For some reason, this one has been mentioned several times lately around here. I saw it when it came out on video, and figured I'd give it another spin. Shiny, bloody, silly, pseudo-horror actioner with a subtle veneer of cyberpunk. I think of this as a sub genre of action that I haven't come up with a name for. Movies like Priest (2011) and Ghosts of Mars (2001) could fall into it. I sometimes call it Heavy Metal Horror, especially with ones like Resident Evil (and Ghosts of Mars), since they tend to have heavy metal soundtracks. To be honest, they're almost always fun, even if they are kind of like cinematic cotton candy. They also tend to be 'R' rated, and I get tired of wimpified, PG-13 "horror" flicks.

Robert Crawford likes this.
  12. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Continued with 4 additional Popeye Volume One cartoons followed by an another hour and a half of the 1928 Olympic Games (have another 75 minutes to go; this is a 4 hr. 10 min. disc). Decided to proceed with
    Mandala (Arrow Academy BD) 1971. Jissoji's 2nd film in the Buddhist Trilogy. Extreme violence including many rape scenes. A utopian cult recruits its members via rape (this is heavily criticized); another group (Marxists) is criticized as well. Both are seen as dead ends. Still, after this experience I had to resort to a lighter satire:
    Shampoo (Criterion BD) 1975. I disliked this film way back in '75. I appreciate the satire but I don't invest in the characters and I don't find them believable.
    No Way Out (TCM app) 1950. Mankiewicz's study of racism. Poitier's spectacular film debut. Darnell is extraordinary. Widmark is nasty. Hadn't seen this film in ages.

13. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Thanks for your comments as they pushed me to watch my 3-D BD later this week.

JohnRice likes this.
  14. Robert Crawford

Robert
    What a great film and it was great seeing the extended cut on a large movie theater screen with Dolby Atmos speakers throughout.

15. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I pulled the Boys Town DVD off the shelf tonight and watched. I don't think I had ever seen the movie from beginning to end (there were sequences that didn't seem familiar to me at all), so it was nice to add another classic film to the list of watched movies. I didn't remember Henry Hull playing such a big part in the story. Enjoyed the various young supporting actors' performances quite a bit this time through.

16. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    September 11th, 2019 Wednesday

Apocalypse Now (40th Anniversary) Final Cut
    4K UHD Blu-ray / Dolby Vision
    Dolby Atmos to Auro 3D 5.1.4

20190910_202833a.

John Wick 3: Parabellum
    4K UHD Blu-ray / Dolby Vision
    Dolby Atmos 7.1.4

20190910_202236a.

Aladdin (1992)
    4K UHD Blu-ray / HDR10
    Dolby True HD 7.1

20190910_210517a.

17. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I watched this today, too, Dave! Loved it! I've enjoyed the entire series.

[​IMG]

Dave Moritz likes this.
  18. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor

Doug
    Tonights's choice - extended cut Rambo 4k.

Dave Moritz likes this.
  19. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Finished the Popeye Volume One BD: last 6 cartoons.
    Finished the last 75 minutes of the 1928 Olympics BD, the Italian version, only to find out that there's another 3-hour disc of the same event commissioned by the Dutch, who were displeased by the Fascist slant of the Italian version.
    Summer Interlude (Criterion BD) 1951. Bergman's study of a hardened ballerina who reminisces about her summer affair when she was 15, and learns to accept life, love and hope. Happy ending!
    Zatoichi's Vengeance (Criterion BD) 1966. Luminously photographed. This brings me halfway through the series. Zatoichi learns that sometimes his swordsmanship can have both positive and negative effects.

20. JohnRice

John
    I've seen both, and I actually prefer the theatrical version. The extended one is disjointed, with added scenes that just clutter it up.