What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (7 Viewers)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I totally don't know that history, Jose...so you are probably correct. I assumed something I shouldn't have...and must've misunderstood something I had read.

Thx,
The movie was cut after it premiered because exhibitors complained they could not show it enough each night to make a profit. Cukor and Garland refused to see what they considered a butchered version.

There was a world wide search for the missing parts and although they found the complete sound track, there are still a few minutes of missing visuals. Fascinatingly when you see the stills sections, they are punctuated by brief color sections which do not show the stars faces, originally preserved to use as stock footage. Collectors had some of the musical sections and an out take was used for the drive in section.

Cukor was scheduled to see the reconstruction, but died before he had a chance. There are legends of complete copies existing in collections, and people claim to have seen them.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I may be mistaken, but I don't think Cukor was involved in the cuts to the premiere version. Jack Warner mandated them and had the negative of the trims destroyed. We're lucky to have what survived his ruthless cuts.

It was reported here many years ago that a full roadshow print of the film is held by a private collector. He was burned previously by WB studio on prints that he had of other titles so he has no interest in releasing it on Blu-ray.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That's one way to look at that situation. Another is that someone with stolen material refused to return it to its rightful copyright holders.

That guy has no right to do what he did, and our collective cinematic heritage is harmed every day by it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Today I watched The Fate of the Furious 4K/UHD disc. Another reference disc for its Dolby Vision and DTS:X presentations. I enjoyed it a lot more today than when I viewed it during its theatrical run. Outrageous and over-the-top action, but I had fun today with it.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
The material if it exist WAS stolen, but Warners would have destroyed it at the time, so a thief would have preserved it. We can only hope. It is 65 years later, but miracles can happen. The missing footage from Metropolice took 80+ years to find.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Just bought Fifth Element 4K at Target.
It has been sold out everywhere Ive looked.
Gonna watch it as soon as it gets dark.
4K and Dolby Atmos!!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Tonight I watched two things, one that was new to me and one of my absolute favorites.

The new one was Sunset in the West, the Kino release of the Roy Rogers western in Trucolor. Thoroughly enjoyable for someone who grew up with Roy and Trigger on TV but I'm not sure I have ever seen ANY of his western films (apart from Son of Paleface). It was just his TV show that we watched over and over.

The other was the brilliant Unknown Chaplin which I never tire of viewing and pull out every year or two and gorge myself on his genius.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I went to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in concert with the Seattle Symphony. Very interesting way to watch the movie with the music being played live. If you like these movies and have the opportunity I recommend it a lot of fun. They are doing La La Land in February I might have to get tickets to that too.

HarryPotter-Nov23.jpg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Last night I checked out The Night Of The Hunter and Abbott & Costello Meet The Mummy. Tonight I'll be watching Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, in preparation for seeing the new movie on Monday.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Such a powerful, engrossing experience no matter how many times I've seen it.

That was obviously my first viewing the other night, but I will definitely be buying this disc. I had that feeling watching it that it had tremendous rewatch value. And the imagery from the film has been stuck in my head all day. I don't think I had ever seen Mitchum as a bad guy before (at least, not *that* bad) and it's haunting.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
That was obviously my first viewing the other night, but I will definitely be buying this disc. I had that feeling watching it that it had tremendous rewatch value. And the imagery from the film has been stuck in my head all day. I don't think I had ever seen Mitchum as a bad guy before (at least, not *that* bad) and it's haunting.
He's pretty ruthless in Cape Fear, but, yes, I think this is as bad as he ever got as a serial murderer with no conscience.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks