What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (1 Viewer)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I'm still ok in the theatre or movie festivals, thank goodness, but I seem to be no longer able to watch silent movies at home. I have a huge backlog from TCM, but 20 minutes into them, I am gone!!

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Went to Spiderman Homecoming last night! Highly recommend if you like superhero movies.
30424c7f51c2d68c12bfbbb45e3fb847.jpg

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Not a bad Saturday night in. I started with the last three episodes of The Adventures Of Captain Marvel (DVD), I've been watching three episodes a night. Then the main feature, One-Eyed Jacks (the UK Arrow release), totally brilliant, film & restoration, & finished with the original Mummy, I thought I should make a start on the legacy set.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Today I watched The Killing on DVD and The Tattered Dress on You Tube. This was the first time I've ever watched a film on You Tube.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Wow! The restoration of "A Star Is Born" is fascinating viewing. I saw this in a theatre in the 1980s when it first was done and owned the movie on VHS, DVD, and now on Blu ray. It is probably one of my favourite movies.

We are viewing my recently acquired set of the "That's Entertainment" movies. I was getting the DVD set ready to take into sell at a local store ("The Beat Goes On") when I took a look at it more closely. I am glad I bought the Blu Rays since I forgot that the old set was composed of 4 of the dreaded "flipper discs" with one side labeled wide screen, and the other "standard".

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I hadn't seen A Star Is Born in decades...maybe in about 40 years. I ripped the plastic off a disc I had purchased at Barnes & Noble more than five years ago.

I was a BIG Judy Garland fan when I was younger. But I was really blown away by how great I thought James Mason's performance was in this. I'm thinking it might just be the most credible portrayals of an alcoholic that I've ever seen on film.

The film looked--and sounded--beautiful. I'm not sure it was necessary to include those scenes for which audio-only existed. But it definitely provided insight into what Cukor was thinking when faced with the need to make cuts.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I may be mistaken, but I don't think Cukor was involved in the cuts to the premiere version. Jack Warner mandated them and had the negative of the trims destroyed. We're lucky to have what survived his ruthless cuts.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I totally don't know that history, Jose...so you are probably correct. I assumed something I shouldn't have...and must've misunderstood something I had read.

Thx,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks