What's new

What else is on your Sony rare show want list? (1 Viewer)

Dennis65

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis
Is Ensign Otool with Dean Jones a Sony show? GETV will begin showing this on their regular schedule on July 11.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Does Sony own the Worldvision shows ? I had heard that . If so I'd like to see them release Love That Bob , and the People's Choice .

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Not so rare but would love an official release of

Jennifer Slept Here

Ripley's Believe It Or Not w/Jack Palance-this would even make a good best of set
Odd you'd mention that one! I was watching Buck Rogers in the 25th Century a few days ago with Jack guest starring and thought of that one.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Is Ensign Otool with Dean Jones a Sony show? GETV will begin showing this on their regular schedule on July 11.
20th century fox. I've never heard that show before. Seems like Get TV is getting their shows from fox instead of their own Sony library. Maybe they'll put Peyton Place back on the air.

Last edited:

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
One of the local PBS affiliates ran The Burns and Allen Show about 15 years ago. The prints they had for that run were very good - almost pristine. Unfortunately I failed to record them, not thinking about it until it was too late. :(

I'd pick up that series in a heartbeat, along with:

The Second Hundred Years
The Farmer's Daughter
The Girl With Something Extra

Someone posted on Sitcoms Online that the Girl with Something Extra is coming to Get TV in January 2017!
Will be interesting to see what the prints will look like.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Someone posted on Sitcoms Online that the Girl with Something Extra is coming to Get TV in January 2017!
Will be interesting to see what the prints will look like.

The prints I'm sure will look fine. What I'm curious about is if they'll be the same 22 minute edited version we recorded from USA back in the 80s or if they'll run complete.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
The prints I'm sure will look fine. What I'm curious about is if they'll be the same 22 minute edited version we recorded from USA back in the 80s or if they'll run complete.

What I mean is, I wonder if the prints have been remastered? If they are remastered, than that is a good thing because it also gives me hope that Sony is recognizing the value of their "forgotten" series, and they might remaster "The Farmer's Daughter." If they are the same prints from the 90s, then I'm not as excited. Get TV uses old prints of Nanny and the Professor and they are edited.

Last edited:

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I turned over to Antenna TV yesterday afternoon and was surprised to see that they were in the middle of showing the 1st episode of The Paul Lynde Show. Afterwards they showed an episode of Lotsa Luck, so I guess Antenna has decided to experiment a little on the weekends again, as they did a year or so ago when they were showing It's About Time and My Mother the Car on Sundays.

Anyway, it's too bad that Sony's MOD program seems to have gone by the wayside and that Shout and others probably wouldn't want The Paul Lynde Show. Now that it's actually airing somewhere, this would be a good time to finally release the one-season show.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
You have to hand it to Screen Gems/Columbia/Sony for trying to get as much mileage as they can out of their TV library, even the short-run shows. Unlike some other studios, shows they made or bought the rights to that ran only a year or two or three still have a chance of actually being seen again. The MOD program was not implemented well compared to the Warner Archive; if it had been, it would have done better. Crackle might be a possibility for some of them, but their interface and commercial overload is a nightmare that makes everything unwatchable.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Crackle might be a possibility for some of them, but their interface and commercial overload is a nightmare that makes everything unwatchable.

Questions about that:

1. How does the interface make Crackle difficult to use?

2. Why does Crackle have so many commercials?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
1. They have an introductory video that is hard to pause and skip, and finding shows and movies is difficult compared to the relative ease of YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Instant Video.

2. So they don't charge you for it. Yet the frequency of commercials is more comparable to TV than YouTube.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
1. They have an introductory video that is hard to pause and skip, and finding shows and movies is difficult compared to the relative ease of YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Instant Video.

2. So they don't charge you for it. Yet the frequency of commercials is more comparable to TV than YouTube.

Just what I wanted to know!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I turned over to Antenna TV yesterday afternoon and was surprised to see that they were in the middle of showing the 1st episode of The Paul Lynde Show. Afterwards they showed an episode of Lotsa Luck, so I guess Antenna has decided to experiment a little on the weekends again, as they did a year or so ago when they were showing It's About Time and My Mother the Car on Sundays.

Anyway, it's too bad that Sony's MOD program seems to have gone by the wayside and that Shout and others probably wouldn't want The Paul Lynde Show. Now that it's actually airing somewhere, this would be a good time to finally release the one-season show.

That's what DVD recorders are for.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
You have to hand it to Screen Gems/Columbia/Sony for trying to get as much mileage as they can out of their TV library, even the short-run shows. Unlike some other studios, shows they made or bought the rights to that ran only a year or two or three still have a chance of actually being seen again.

If they have existing transfers, there's always a chance a Sony show could be seen somewhere. If they never put it to tape, forget it, as is the case with all of the studios. Only way a show will get remastered to tape is if a major network, like Encore Westerns for instance, would buy it. None of these digital subchannels, except for ME-TV maybe, is going to foot the bill to get a new transfer of a series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks