What's new

Minor 60s Shows Left (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I've never seen The C.A.T. but it has a stellar reputation and Robert Loggia is a terrific actor so I'd probably sample that if it were given a high quality proper release.

Two other kiddie shows I've never seen - Captain Nice and Mr. Terrific. Are they any good. William Daniels is a favorite of mine and this would seem to be a different role for him.
I watched a few episodes of Captain Nice and Mr. Terrific during the original runs. But they suffered by Captain Nice airing opposite I Dream of Jeannie and Mr. Terrific opposite Rat Patrol. While I enjoyed both I liked the opposition better but lamented that I couldn't watch both. It's shows like that I truly long for on disc so I can see what I was missing. Of course if my favorites weren't on disc I'd want them as well and there are several favorites in the "minor" shows and the "shows with 2 or more seasons" that remain unreleased lists. :)

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
I live in Britain and as a result some of the shows mentioned in this thread were shown over here and some weren't. Mr. Terrific was one of my favourite shows at the time and I was delighted when I saw that there was a DVD release of it available. I saw all the episodes over a few days. I have never seen Captain Nice but I would buy it if it was available to compare it. My World and Welcome To It was a show that I saw at the time and really enjoyed. It was repeated in Britain on the new Channel 4 in the early 80s. It was such a critically acclaimed series that I am surprised that something like It's About Time gets a release and My World does not. (I did buy It's About Time and I enjoyed that too.) The Debbie Reynolds Show was one that was screened in Britain and I enjoyed it. I did not realise at the time that there was more to it than met the eye. I would happily buy it on DVD now. Cowboy in Africa is another series that I wish that they would release. Most of the Ivan Tors back catalogue is on DVD but strangely not this series. It was opposite Doctor Who in my region so I did not see it. But I would be interested in seeing it now. He and She was another show that was screened over here. And it another comedy show that I am surprised has not been released. I too would like to see T.H.E. Cat released. It was shown in Britain but I only watched part of an episode I remember. But with all the positive feedback that I have read then I hope it gets released. The Greatest Show on Earth sounds interesting too but I don't remember seeing it at the time. Our BBC channel showed only a limited amount of American shows. And then ITV showed others but often on a regional basis which meant that not every part of Britain got exactly the same programmes from the U.S. But as the 1960s are by far and away my favourite TV era I would like to see more shows from that time released on DVD. I have to say that as regards current American series there are only a few I watch and these include - Gotham, Sleepy Hollow, Once Upon a Time and Supernatural. .

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Some that weren't on the list are: Baileys of Balboa, The Hathaways, and OK Crackerby.

I tried to leave off the truly abysmal shows, such as those 3, as well as other abominations like The Tammy Grimes Show, Ugliest Girl in Town, Grindl, Dundee and the Culhane and some others.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
What are your top-2 on this list, and what do you see as having a legitimate opportunity of being released in the oh-so-near (say 2 years) future ? For me He & She and T.H.E. Cat would be must-buys, although I could easily list 5 more as well. Are any on the list available in other regions?

My top 2 would be Bus Stop and The Reporter. The former I have around half the run and the latter I only have a couple. Lots of other shows on the list I would love to get upgrades on, including the 2 you mentioned.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Some that weren't on the list are: Baileys of Balboa, The Hathaways, and OK Crackerby.

I tried to leave off the truly abysmal shows, such as those 3, ...

"Abysmal" is, of course, subjective. But THE HATHAWAYS belongs in the great pantheon of 60's sitcom surrealism, along with GREEN ACRES, MY MOTHER THE CAR, and MISTER ED. I vaguely remember one episode where the Hathaways are distraught that their children (who were played by chimpanzees) couldn't get a show biz break like that talking horse, "Mister Fred."

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I thought "O.K. Crackerby" was particularly obnoxious. A ultra-rich zillionaire who is supposedly all down-to-earth and such, repeatedly getting snubbed by 'high society' snobs, but then being so childishly vexed and using his enormous wealth to turn the tables on them, always in such a jerky way that it made him just as annoying as his nemeses. Probably my least-favorite 60s sitcom.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I thought "O.K. Crackerby" was particularly obnoxious. A ultra-rich zillionaire who is supposedly all down-to-earth and such, repeatedly getting snubbed by 'high society' snobs, but then being so childishly vexed and using his enormous wealth to turn the tables on them, always in such a jerky way that it made him just as annoying as his nemeses. Probably my least-favorite 60s sitcom.

That show was a thinly veiled attempt to reconfigure The Tycoon, with Walter Brennan, which was a better show that ABC cancelled despite decent ratings.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Jed Clampett with a bad attitude? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I tried to leave off the truly abysmal shows, such as those 3, as well as other abominations like The Tammy Grimes Show, Ugliest Girl in Town, Grindl, Dundee and the Culhane and some others.
Hey Neil, Baileys is,actually one of my most wanted one season sixties sitcoms. Good cast . Paul Ford, Sterling Holloway. I was able to get a VHS copy of one ep years ago. It wasn't that bad a show...although the copy I had was horrendous.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Hey Neil, Baileys is,actually one of my most wanted one season sixties sitcoms. Good cast . Paul Ford, Sterling Holloway. I was able to get a VHS copy of one ep years ago. It wasn't that bad a show...although the copy I had was horrendous.
I think Judy Carne was in it too. I've always liked Paul Ford since the Bilko days . I'd love to see someone release this show , but that's highly unlikely .

Tom.W

Second Unit
Lou, your mentioning Judy Carne brought to mind Fair Exchange, the show that replaced Twilight Zone, at least temporarily. Imdb lists it as two seasons, but it only lasted one television season. One episode made the rounds of collectors in the 80's. I would be interested in that one.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Lou, your mentioning Judy Carne brought to mind Fair Exchange, the show that replaced Twilight Zone, at least temporarily. Imdb lists it as two seasons, but it only lasted one television season. One episode made the rounds of collectors in the 80's. I would be interested in that one.
I would too, Tom. I kind of recall a "format change" from the first part of season one and the second and possibly a long stretch between the two - hence , the 2 season description at IMDB. I'll have to check on that , and I'll post what I find .

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
I would too, Tom. I kind of recall a "format change" from the first part of season one and the second and possibly a long stretch between the two - hence , the 2 season description at IMDB. I'll have to check on that , and I'll post what I find .
Wasn't the first season or group of shows one hour in length? After a hiatus, it returned as a 30 minute program. Not sure if my memory is correct.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Wasn't the first season or group of shows one hour in length? After a hiatus, it returned as a 30 minute program. Not sure if my memory is correct.
According to Brooks And Marsh it was an hour long show from Sept 62 until Dec 1962 , but WAS CANCELLED! A lot of mail protesting the cancellation brought the show back in March 1963 as a half hour program and it ran until Sept 1963 . ( I was a freshman in High School!). The hour long format for the first three months was unusual for a sitcom. I'd love to see this show again .

Tom.W

Second Unit

Yes, I have one episode somewhere on a beta tape. I'm pretty sure it's one hour in length. Possibly even might be the pilot episode.

Yeah, that would explain the gap of a few months before it resumed in 1963. It was sort of a precursor to the Patty Duke Show, especially with the change to 30 minutes.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member

I have about half the run and I liked the show when it aired, as I was 7 at the time. Doesn't hold up IMO. As for the question about Judy Carne, she must have left pretty early on as I only have one episode she is in and by around the middle of the season, she's not even in the opening credits any more.

Susan Nunes_329977

Second Unit
Real Name
Susan Nunes

This show, The Cara Williams Show, and The Reporter are of interest, at least my interest, because of the sleazy backstory of the shows. They were all produced by James T. Aubrey's go-fer, the spectacularly untalented, mob-connected Keefe Brasselle. He was a man whose only success in life was failure.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I know all too well about THAT- apparently a drunken Aubrey had beaten up his then-girlfriend who vowed payback. Yup, she came from a mob family, so it took the intervention of Brasselle to save his friend's life: his life would be spared if he put on Keefe's shows on the 1964-65 schedule. What really raised flags was that those three shows were added without pilots! By the way, The Cara Williams Show was the best of the bunch in quality and ratings. At least Miss Williams was a talented commedienne who CBS tried to promote as 'the new Lucy' despite overlooking another funny redhead on CBS: Carol Burnett. Based on the episode I saw online, I wouldn't mind seeing a DVD release of The Cara Williams Show- Miss Williams is very much alive! As for James Aubrey, CBS stockholders began to be suspicious of the whole deal with Richelieu Productions (named after Brasselle's favorite NYC restaurant!) , and filed suit. Then Bill Paley and CBS executives also began to investigate, and Aubrey was forced to resign in early 1965.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks