What's new

Pre-Order Sony Pictures Classics 30th Anniversary 4K Ultra HD Collection (4K UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I thought your numbers (or mine) were off! Lol

I did something I've never done before with this set. I bought it when it was on sale for about $130.00 or so because I desperately wanted Call Me By Your Name in 4K. I had no interest in keeping any of the other titles as they just didn't appeal to me. I sold the other 10 on ebay, got my purchase price back (so CMBYN was free) plus a generous profit. I've never taken a chance like that before but now I'm kind of hooked. What a rush those last few seconds of an auction gives you!
Even The Celluloid Closet? Dang, that’s cold, Will.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Even The Celluloid Closet? Dang, that’s cold, Will.

Heheh. I meant they didn't necessarily appeal to me in 4K. It's talking heads and video clips. But, now that I think about it, it's not a title I need to own in any event.

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Heheh. I meant they didn't necessarily appeal to me in 4K. It's talking heads and video clips. But, now that I think about it, it's not a title I need to own in any event.
I know some people are like that with documentaries. Once they've seen them, they've learned the information and never need to watch them again. For me this is one I will never tire of watching. Every 5 years or so I will pull it out and watch it again, like an old friend. So the 4K bump was a welcome addition to my library. I didn't even have to pay for it because iTunes upgraded my former purchase to 4K for free.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I know some people are like that with documentaries. Once they've seen them, they've learned the information and never need to watch them again.

I wasn't saying it didn't appeal to me because it was a documentary, I was saying that I didn't think the format (talking heads and video clips) really called out for 4K. I'm glad you're happy with it, though.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
"Celluloid Closet" is completely unnecessary as 4K.

Not even sure it gets much of a boost at 2K!
The talking heads interviews were shot on 35mm film. A 4K scan of those original elements is beneficial. The film clips themselves are whatever duplicate quality was available in 1995, so they are what they are. In other threads there have been comments that Rebel Without a Cause doesn’t merit a 4K release because 1955 CinemaScope doesn’t have the resolution to support it, but whatever…:rolleyes:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The talking heads interviews were shot on 35mm film. A 4K scan of those original elements is beneficial. The film clips themselves are whatever duplicate quality was available in 1995, so they are what they are. In other threads there have been comments that Rebel Without a Cause doesn’t merit a 4K release because 1955 CinemaScope doesn’t have the resolution to support it, but whatever…:rolleyes:

But it's a bland-looking presentation, and even the interview shots lack great detail.

I stand by my opinion that 4K was completely unnecessary for the film, as the end product simply doesn't benefit from the extra resolution.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I have a question:
Each 4k disc in this set is sealed with cellophane or not?
Because I'd like to buy a film I'm interested in from ebay.
I guess all discs are opened, right?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
But it's a bland-looking presentation, and even the interview shots lack great detail.

I stand by my opinion that 4K was completely unnecessary for the film, as the end product simply doesn't benefit from the extra resolution.
Agreed. We’ve gone into 4k overload.

Dr. Lejos

Agent
Real Name
Rick
I mostly collect “classic era” movies on disc, and have mixed feelings about the 4k upgrades I’ve acquired. Altho what’s nice is that it gives the distributors an “excuse” to revisit titles which may have had a less-than-stellar blu-ray, and perhaps do a better job via the 4k release. I actually thought REBEL was a worthwhile improvement in image quality over the old blu. Over the years I’ve seen it maybe 5 times in various formats, a film I’ve always wanted to like more than I ever have* … but this last time (the 4k disc via projection) was the time I appreciated it most … and it was the quality of the image which made the difference for me.

*It’s a film which certainly gets a lot of attention … I like the essays by I’ve read by Geoff Andrew (Films of Nick Ray), Danny Peary (Cult Movies) and Roger Ebert (Great Movies III) … and tend to agree most with Roger who admitted the film hasn’t aged well, but is still a fascinating watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks