What's new

What else is on your Sony rare show want list? (1 Viewer)

topanga

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Felicia
That's what DVD recorders are for.
speaking of DVD Recorders, mine broke two months ago. Do you know if anyone still manufactures them and who sells them. I want to buy a new one. I don't want a used one.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
speaking of DVD Recorders, mine broke two months ago. Do you know if anyone still manufactures them and who sells them. I want to buy a new one. I don't want a used one.

Last I heard, Magnavox was the last one still making them in the US. I don't have one as I like Pioneer and prefer to pick up used ones but I heard good reports on it. Only thing I don't like is that it doesn't do flex recording.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Last I heard, Magnavox was the last one still making them in the US. I don't have one as I like Pioneer and prefer to pick up used ones but I heard good reports on it. Only thing I don't like is that it doesn't do flex recording.
In the last 10-15 years I've only had two and both were Magnavox. I'm at least at 5 years of mileage on my current one.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I have a DVD/VHS recorder at my Mom's house, but I think it's a JVC. It has the variable bit rate option, too. That has been most helpful in trying to find the "sweet spot," i.e. the bit rate at which you can fit the most episodes onto a single disc before picture quality starts to degenerate.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Flex record is great for a lot of things. For instance, if you're recording a movie, if its 95 minutes, you can record it on the full disc for better quality. Or, if a movie is 125 minutes, you don't have to lose quality by going to 4 hour speed. When I do 2 one-hour shows, I record at 1 hour and 40 minutes, each show being 50 minutes long.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
My one biggest regret about it is that it never really carried over to Blu-ray. I heard about a disc recorder in that format in Japan years ago (as in one that hooks into a TV or DVR, what have you, as opposed to a computer), but apparently that didn't do too well.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I have a DVD/VHS recorder at my Mom's house, but I think it's a JVC. It has the variable bit rate option, too. That has been most helpful in trying to find the "sweet spot," i.e. the bit rate at which you can fit the most episodes onto a single disc before picture quality starts to degenerate.

At 30 cents or so a disc, do you really need to go beyond 2 hours? Maybe we did when VHS tapes were $15-$20 but now?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
They make dual-layer discs for movies over two hours. But very rarely do you have 2 hours on the dot or increments of 30 or 60 that are exactly that without any deviation, so it's helpful to have a small amount of wiggle room. That's not the same as just cramming episodes onto the disc until they look like RealPlayer videos from 20 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks