What's new

What else is on your Sony rare show want list? (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
For me, give me those Screen Gems sitcoms:

Occasional Wife
Love on a Rooftop
Nancy
The Good Life
The Paul Lynde Show
Temperatures Rising
The Second Hundred Years
The Farmer's Daughter
The Girl With Something Extra
The Nancy Walker Show

Wouldn't mind a couple of the dramas either:

Tightrope
Hawk
Empire
Medical Story

I have the full runs of some of these but some are timesped, some are cut, some are black and white prints of color. It would be nice to get good quality sets of all of them.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Before Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Dennis the Menace & Hazel were sold(?) to Antenna TV - Sony had a syndicated "Screen Gems Showcase" that was sold to local stations. Along with B & IDoJ they had a two hour block of 1/2 hour sitcoms. For the second hour they would have not so famous shows and one was Paul Lynde. It looks as though there are good transfers of "The Paul Lynde Show" :cool:

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I wish that they owned The Jean Arthur Show, but that's Universal, isn't it?

I'd be up for most of Screen Gems' 1960's output like The Farmer's Daughter and lots of stuff I've never seen like The Wackiest Ship in the Army. And of course The Donna Reed Show deserves to be finished.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
RESCUE 8 with Jim Davis ran for 2 seasons and features some incredible location footage from the Southern California area. Also, I'd love to see a release of unedited episodes of THE ADVENTURES OF RIN-TIN-TIN.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
All That Glitters
Buck James
Filthy Rich
Forever Fernwood
The Good Life
Hot l Baltimore
Married People
Needles and Pins
The Paul Lynde Show
The Powers That Be
Rescue 8
Temperatures Rising / New Temperatures Rising
Tightrope
Women of the House

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I wish that they owned The Jean Arthur Show, but that's Universal, isn't it?

I'd be up for most of Screen Gems' 1960's output like The Farmer's Daughter and lots of stuff I've never seen like The Wackiest Ship in the Army. And of course The Donna Reed Show deserves to be finished.

Yes, unfortunately The Jean Arthur Show is Universal. I would love to get that one as I liked it when it originally aired. Luckily I was able to pick up a few of them on film years ago. Count it as another Universal show sitting in the vaults on 35mm and untransferred.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Hot L Baltimore: Norman Lear's first flop (one of several he made for ABC), and one of the first shows to have gay characters on it.

Filthy Rich: Delta Burke and Dixie Carter's first sitcom together pre-Designing Women, and the show for which Nedra Volz left Diff'rent Strokes.

Fernwood 2Night/America 2Night: If WKRP can get done, so can this.

It's Your Move: Jason Bateman's recent screen success should have made it a topic of conversation at Sony or one of their licensees at least once.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
The rest of DONNA REED definitely. I wanted ONE DAY AT A TIME and 227 as well but have scored uncut runs of those so they aren't a priority like before but I'd buy official sets. I wanted POLICE WOMAN before but having seeing the last two seasons on ME-TV they are nowhere near as good as the first two, so the best seasons are already out. I would buy THE FARMER'S DAUGHTER and PAUL LYNDE SHOW too.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
ONE IN A MILLION (rare Shirley Hemphill series 1-season)

Since Grady was Haywood Nelson's first sitcom pre-What's Happening, I would actually be less surprised to see this now than I would before.

I'm also kind of surprised Carter Country pretty much vanished from the radar without a trace; maybe if it had been called something else it wouldn't have been tied to the popularity of our 39th president? It was syndicated in a lot of Southern markets in the 1980s despite having two seasons. Meanwhile another two-season former ABC show in Sony's care, That's My Mama, got a release from Sony with mostly cut episodes after having been syndicated sporadically since the 1980s. But that was actually a Columbia production that was shot on tape to look like Lear and Yorkin's shows.

Bud Yorkin also had a third show that was cancelled in 1979: 13 Queens Blvd. It looks almost like a proto-Golden Girls and the casting was actually pretty good. Its time slot at Tuesday at 10:30 PM—an unusual slot for a sitcom—likely hastened its demise, though its lead-in, The Ropers, actually managed to get a Top 10 rating.

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
Maybe Sony can move ahead with the annouced-then-withdrawn Iron Horse. I'd also like to see Family completed; 13 Queens Blvd; Mr. Deeds Goes To Town; and Our Man Higgins.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks