The Debbie Reynolds Show
Governor and JJ
Then Came Bronson
Bracken's World

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
What are your top-2 on this list, and what do you see as having a legitimate opportunity of being released in the oh-so-near (say 2 years) future ? For me He & She and T.H.E. Cat would be must-buys, although I could easily list 5 more as well. Are any on the list available in other regions?

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I know He & She was a critical darling, so it might be nice to give that a try. (I saw Richard Benjamin in the supermarket recently.)
___

I've seen people on these threads talk about East Side, West Side with fondness, so it surprised me recently while watching an episode of Get Smart that had audio commentary with Barbara Feldon and Buck Henry. 1.) I didn't know Barbara Feldon had a role in it and 2.) Buck Henry said he'd seen an episode recently (when he did the audio commentary) and said it was awful.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
One of the shows on the list I've been curious about and have never seen before is The Jean Arthur Show, simply because Jean Arthur is in it.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I know He & She was a critical darling, so it might be nice to give that a try. (I saw Richard Benjamin in the supermarket recently.)
___

I've seen people on these threads talk about East Side, West Side with fondness, so it surprised me recently while watching an episode of Get Smart that had audio commentary with Barbara Feldon and Buck Henry. 1.) I didn't know Barbara Feldon had a role in it and 2.) Buck Henry said he'd seen an episode recently (when he did the audio commentary) and said it was awful.

All three of these shows (East Side/West Side, Get Smart, and He & She) were from David Susskind's and Leonard Stern's Talent Associates. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talent_Associates

I think it's likely that Buck Henry considered ES/WS dated. I can see that perspective, but I think a lot of appreciation of older art & entertainment depends on your willingness to not get hung up on that. For me, observing 50 year-old attitudes is just another element that makes vintage TV interesting.

Tom.W

Second Unit
Not that these have much of a chance:

Follow the Sun
Court Martial
The Rogues
Straightaway
The Investigators
Kentucky Jones (region 1)
Shannon (1961)
Margie
Cowboy in Africa
Great Ghost Tales
A lot of interesting single season shows started in 1959. Might make a category by itself.

Last edited:

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
The vast majority of my remaining "grail" list is made up of several of the series Neil and a couple of others have listed.

I'd also add:

Klondike (MGM via Ziv library)
Acapulco (MGM via Ziv library)
(General Electric) True (Warner Bros)
The Travels of Jaimie McPheeters (Warner Bros via MGM library)
Journey to the Unknown (Fox/Hammer Studios)
Hoppity Hooper, a.k.a. Uncle Waldo (some episodes released on DVD by Mill Creek in "public domain" fashion)

--and there are the remaining, unreleased portions of I'm Dickens... He's Fenster and Beany & Cecil (cartoon version).

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I don't believe The Islanders (William Reynolds, Diane Brewster, 1960-61) or Mr. Smith goes to Washington (1962-63, Fess Parker) have been mentioned...among many, many series I would highly desire to have complete from those already mentioned in this thread...

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I've never seen The C.A.T. but it has a stellar reputation and Robert Loggia is a terrific actor so I'd probably sample that if it were given a high quality proper release.

Two other kiddie shows I've never seen - Captain Nice and Mr. Terrific. Are they any good. William Daniels is a favorite of mine and this would seem to be a different role for him.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I've never seen The C.A.T. but it has a stellar reputation and Robert Loggia is a terrific actor so I'd probably sample that if it were given a high quality proper release.

Two other kiddie shows I've never seen - Captain Nice and Mr. Terrific. Are they any good. William Daniels is a favorite of mine and this would seem to be a different role for him.

T.H.E. Cat is (and has been, for quite some time) my #1 most wanted series on disc. I've seen all 26 episodes, via evil means not to be discussed further here, and there isn't a bad episode in the bunch, though some are obviously better than others.

I've seen all of Captain Nice, too, and the first episode of Mr. Terrific (when that lone episode aired on TV Land, many years ago). They are fairly similar, but I enjoyed Captain Nice a lot more. It has the comic tone you would expect from its creator, Buck Henry, and is reasonably entertaining, though not quite as sharp or funny as the best of his previous hit series, Get Smart. In contrast, Mr. Terrific struck me as a misfire, only interesting as a rarely-seen curiosity (I liked the animated opening credits best, with narration by the great Paul Frees). But that's subjective, of course, and maybe subsequent episodes are better.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Less than 2 full seasons:

The Americans
Hong Kong
Bus Stop
The New Breed
Cain's Hundred
The Alvin Show
Target: The Corruptors
Room for One More
Saints and Sinners
Empire
Breaking Point
East Side West Side
The Greatest Show on Earth
Channing
The Great Adventure
Broadside
For The People
Slattery's People
No Time for Sergeants
Wendy and Me
Many Happy Returns
The Tycoon
Mickey
The Reporter
Mr. Broadway
Blue Light
Long Hot Summer
Double Life of Henry Phyfe
Mister Roberts
Trials of O'Brien
Hey Landlord
The Jean Arthur Show
The Road West
Captain Nice
Run Buddy Run
Love on a Rooftop
Occasional Wife
Man Who Never Was
Hawk
The Hero
The Green Hornet
T.H.E. Cat
Pistols 'n' Petticoats
The Second Hundred Years
Garrisons Gorillas
He and She
Accidental Family
My Friend Tony
The Good Guys
The Outcasts
The Outsider
My World and Welcome to It
The Debbie Reynolds Show
Governor and JJ
Then Came Bronson
Bracken's World
I loved the AMERICANS , a Civil War drama that starred Darryl Hickman and Dick Davalos, back in 1961 . I've always hoped I might be able to see this show again. About 16 episodes were broadcast during the winter and Spring of 61. But I've heard that as many as 26 episodes were filmed . I wonder if there is even the slightest chance that Timeless/SF might look into this one .
Besides this show there are many other shows on this list I'd love to own on DVD. If even one or two were to be released by anyone , I'd be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks