What's new

Warner:where are the animated titles? (1 Viewer)

Jerry L White

Auditioning
I grew up watching all the WB animated toons,Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck,Tweety, well you get the point,please release them on DVD(all of them) I wanna give you my money.

Matthew H

Second Unit
Warner mentioned in a previous chat that the cost of restoration for any of the Looney Tunes or Merry Melodies is extremely expensive and a lengthy process. Alas, we won't see any of these on DVD for sometime. :frowning:

Jerry L White

Auditioning
did they hint at them coming though, or did they say not likely ever?If the wait is long ,It's fine if they're done right:emoji_thumbsup:

Kevin McCorry

Stunt Coordinator
Warner has been saying "maybe next year" since
1997. Meanwhile, 3 Tweety DVDs have been released
in Japan and look very, very nice. Much better
than the LDs. The bottom line is that most of the
cartoons (1948-1969) could be released to Region
1 DVD now, but Warner just isn't interested.
Speculated reasons as to why vary from not wanting
to give credit to the directors, most of whom are
deceased, to syndication issues, to the belief that
there is no market for anything other than the
pre-1948 cartoons. Even if they did release them, we
know what WAMO discs are like.:frowning:

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
If there is no market for them, how come the cartoon network still show them each day?
I have to believe "doing it right" is the reason for holding it back. "doing it North by northwest-right", "Mickey Mouse in living color-right", whatever, but "doing it right" at least!
Even if they did release them, we
know what WAMO discs are like.
Are you referring to "DVD Rot" or something like that? When I hear WAMO, I think Warner, which again makes me think knock-out transfers... I don't get it :confused:

Kevin McCorry

Stunt Coordinator
The cartoons on the Tweety DVDs are more than serviceable. I'd rather have cartoon DVDs like that than none at all for the rest of my born days.

WAMO and "DVD Rot". Lots of threads here and elsewhere connect the two.

I maintain a Website on the Warner Bros. cartoons and

others and monitor message boards, and it seems the interest in and discussion of non-Warner material prevails

everywhere, and when Warner cartoons are discussed, it's almost always of the earlier cartoons (1930s to mid-1940s).

Warner probably thinks nobody likes or wants the later ones

(i.e. Chuck Jones' timeless Bugs Bunnies, the Road Runner series, 40 of the 42 Tweety and Sylvester cartoons, the bulk of Bugs vs. Yosemite Sam, Bugs and friends in foreign, fairy tale, or literary places or times, Jones' opera cartoons, nearly every Foghorn Leghorn, all wolf and sheepdog, all Speedy Gonzales, all of the latter-day greedy and craven coward Daffy Duck, etc. etc.).

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
While I'm sure Mr. McCorry means no harm, perpetuating speculation as fact is misleading and unfair. During the last HTF chat with Warner Home Video, they unquestionably acknowledged the demand for Looney Tunes on DVD. I know someone who works there, and know for a fact that the first releases are being prepared as we speak. There are no legal snafus, no rights issues, etc. The only issues that are real, are the very significant restoration and remastering efforts required in order for these releases to meet Warner's exceptionally high quality standards. It is my understanding that Warner plans to give this product the deluxe treatment it deserves, and when the first batch of cartoons finally are released (I have heard this will come towards Xmas)it will have been well worth the wait.

Kevin McCorry

Stunt Coordinator
Will believe it when I see it. After 5 years of waiting, one can hardly be blamed for being cynical. I love these cartoons. Well, a sizeable cross-section of them. And it's

so very disillusioning to see said cross-section so neglected.

Now, if the WAMO situation could be addressed. To my eyes, the quality of plastic around disc inner ring looks inferior on all WAMO discs I've purchased this year compared to discs of other manufacturers, and the crinkling sound I hear every time I put such a disc back on its hub is very disturbing. And just what is that chalky white thing around the inner ring of Zhivago and Superman I discs?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'll gladly pay any amount for some Looney Tunes sets.

I'd also like to see The Phantom Tollbooth released with a new 1.78:1 anamorphic transfer and even a 5.1 remix.

"The Complete Tex Avery" anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks