What's new

Upgrade to IE6? (1 Viewer)

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
I'm running Windows 98SE and, I believe IE 5.5, and dont encounter any glitches. Now I'm getting a Window Update notice to upgrade to IE6. Is it worth downloading IE6? You know, like, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
With Windows 9x I firmly believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'd defintely stick with IE 5.5 if it's working for you. I've seen too many Win9x machines flake out when doing something simple like upgrading IE.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
DONT DO IT! I did just that..upgraded from 5.5 and now it always puts up this Error message with a send info or not message....and it always does it when ur into the thick of ur surfing.....bad..really bad....

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Don't bother. IE 6 is better, in my experience, than IE 5/5.5. But not greatly so. You aren't missing much at this time by not upgrading.

But I've upgraded from 5 to 5.5 to 6, and had zero problems installing the various versions on my Win98SE system.

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
MS wraps Internet Explorer around nearly every piece of OS software they can. What I'm saying is Internet Explorer is making mad monkey love to all the parts and when you screw with IE it can really make those parts angry. (Really, I just wanted to say monkey love.) Anyway, I run XP which comes with IE6 and its fine. But I have seen far too many people have problems upgrading.

Also, don't run gimmicky things like that little purple ape friend thing that puts a toolbar in IE. I've also found the yahoo toolbar to cause errors, but that was on an old install of win98se.

I've worked tech support quite a while and can honestly tell you, nothing will screw up windows more than Internet Explorer. The file mshtml.dll can wreak havoc, its an IE file but its used all over. (more monkey love)

Anyway.

As one post said, if it ain't broke..

(that sort of had an NPR-esque ending)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Running win98SE here with IE6 and zero problems...if you like downloading stuff and upgrading your box then go for it. No biggie.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
We're running NT 4.0 with sp6a and IE 6.0 cratered a bunch of pc's. It didn't affect all pc's at the same time even though they got the IE 6.0 upgrade at around the same time.

To correct it we had to replace 2 DLL files (by mapping to the user's HD; SMS is too much trouble for something like this), uninstall IE 6.0 and reinstall it. It doesn't seem to trash the DLL's the second time around.

Personally I didn't see 6.0 as being much better than 5.5. Both have 128 bit encrpytion which is necessary for a pre-qualifying web site we use for Medicare and Medicaid patients.

MikeSerrano

Second Unit
Upgrading is definately not worth the risk if everthing is operating normally now.

I'm running IE 6 at work and can see no practical difference betweem 5.5 and 6.

-Mike

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I'm still using 5.01 SP2 which I've found to be the most reliable on my machine.

My experiments with new versions of IE usually go like this:

1. Take image (Ghost or Drive Image) of Windows 2000 partition

2. Install new IE

3. Try new IE

4. Restore image from #1 and not worry about it

I'd never install a new IE without taking a image of the OS first. There's too much stuff that can go wrong.

Richard Cooper

Stunt Coordinator
I took the plunge on my ME machine, and I upgraded fine. No problems at all. My Dad upgraded on his ME machine, and has been having a TOTAL mare! I'm sadistically amused by his machines insistance to create some 32,000 .inf files in the process of 'upgrading' before crashing out.Tee hee.

I'm going to go with the 'if it ain't broke...' lot.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Eric sez........

Is there a way to actually uninstall IE 6 so I can revert to IE 5.5?

In our NT boxes we simply went to add/remove and chose remove for IE 6.0. It prompts you to either revert back to previous install and IE version (4.0, 5.0,5.5 etc), repair or reinstall. If you had 4.0 and did an upgrade to 5.5 and later 6.0, it will revert back to 4.0 since the 5.5 was an upgrade.

Now if you did a fresh install of 5.5 after blowing away and rebuilding your pc and later installed 6.0, it will revert back to 5.5.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks