What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - The Shootist -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Freaking Arrow just cancelled my order that I placed back in mid-December. They did the same thing with my preorders for The Tin Star and The Scarface Mob.

I will never order another thing from their site again!
I've never ordered from Arrow Video's US site but their UK site hasn't let me down, as long as I've pre-ordered a title which hasn't sold out in advance. The Shootist still looks like it is scheduled for release March 12th. Cancelling a pre-order is totally unacceptable! Amazon are listing it for the same price as Arrow Video - you shouldn't come off worse, excepting that you will receive the disc a week or two later!

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Freaking Arrow just cancelled my order that I placed back in mid-December. They did the same thing with my preorders for The Tin Star and The Scarface Mob.

Does that mean that all three titles are not getting a release now from arrow or is it just a hiccup?

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
My order from Arrow shipped yesterday.

So something odd is happening

(I’m not able to log in right now either)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My order from Arrow shipped yesterday.

So something odd is happening

(I’m not able to log in right now either)
Received this email from Arrow:

“We are sorry for any frustration and confusion caused by the unexpected cancellation of your Arrow pre-order(s). You should have received a cancellation email detailing this earlier today.

Upgrading our systems has inadvertently cancelled your pre-order(s), and we’re doing all we can as a matter of priority to prevent this happening again the future. Unfortunately, cancelled orders cannot be reinstated, and you must place your order again if you still want to purchase this product.

All pre-order items are available to browse on our UK site here:”

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Received this email from Arrow:

“We are sorry for any frustration and confusion caused by the unexpected cancellation of your Arrow pre-order(s). You should have received a cancellation email detailing this earlier today.

Upgrading our systems has inadvertently cancelled your pre-order(s), and we’re doing all we can as a matter of priority to prevent this happening again the future. Unfortunately, cancelled orders cannot be reinstated, and you must place your order again if you still want to purchase this product.

All pre-order items are available to browse on our UK site here:”
I received the same response. Their first email said they were unable to obtain supply (obviously incorrect). This one leaves doubt as to whether cancellations will be a recurring problem.

I placed an order for my three items with Orbit DVD and saved ten dollars.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Good news, I ordered The Shootist from another retailer and it has already shipped out.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
That great news that you got it early. Arrow will not ship mine until the release date. 😤
Just received The Shootist - photographed along w some other recent purchases.

Attachments

• IMG_9046.jpeg
    IMG_9046.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 30

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I received my copy yesterday as well, and like many others, I had to re-order this from Arrow since they cancelled my original pre-order.

This movie is a favorite of mine, and I am so happy to replace the old Paramount DVD from 2001. This blu-ray was a long time coming and it looks great to me. It looks like a movie. A wonderful swan song for John Wayne.

If I could change one thing about this film, I would replace Ron Howard. I have nothing against him, and he does an okay job, but he is too old for this part. I can't help wondering what it would be like if Clay O'Brien had played Gillom.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I received my copy yesterday as well, and like many others, I had to re-order this from Arrow since they cancelled my original pre-order.

This movie is a favorite of mine, and I am so happy to replace the old Paramount DVD from 2001. This blu-ray was a long time coming and it looks great to me. It looks like a movie. A wonderful swan song for John Wayne.

If I could change one thing about this film, I would replace Ron Howard. I have nothing against him, and he does an okay job, but he is too old for this part. I can't help wondering what it would be like if Clay O'Brien had played Gillom.
Absolutely wonderful film, which never fails to get me emotionally. John Wayne’s final film could not have been more appropriate.
As for Clay O’Brien…while he was cute in The Cowboys, and definitely stole a few scenes, he was not an actor by trade. And unfortunately that come to light in Cahill US Marshal every time he is asked to actually act. It definitely hurt that film’s success. I like Ron Howard in the role of Gilliam, and think he was just the right age for what the part required.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was thinking more of Clay's role in Mackintosh & T.J.
I agree Ron is the better actor, no doubt about that. Oh well, nice to discuss what-ifs, but the film is a fine one, just the way it is!

Into The Archives

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jayson
Watching The Shootist this evening reminded me that I first saw this was on a double feature with Family Plot as an eight-year-old at our local theater!! However, I was still upset that I had missed Gus and Ride A Wild Pony the week before, but by the end of the show, I thought both were just OK, but again, no animal kicked a football in either film, so…... As I’ve gotten older, I really have grown to love Family Plot more than I should, but for whatever reason, I had only revisited The Shootist one other time, in the 90s, at a Los Angeles repertory theatre. The print was faded and spicy—either it broke a few times, or they missed changeovers, but the lack of presentation stayed with me more than the film did.

Anyhow, after reading Bob’s review of this transfer, I took a chance and ordered The Shootist ---Boy, what a terrific film this is, and Wayne gives an amazing performance as the dying legend. The transfer from Arrow is extremely strong, with great detail, along with a nice strong grain structure and a robust mono track. Projected, it looked super---This is a keeper, that’s for sure!

Johnlarkin125

Auditioning
Real Name
John Larkin
It's an odd thing.

Try to figure out why an important film like The Shootist, a magnificently melancholy film about not only the passing of the old west, but the final time we'd see John Wayne on screen, in a situation almost semi-autobiographical.

I'm unaware of any release better than the old DVD which seeks to have arrived somewhere in the mid-1970s. Why has it taken this long to get a proper Blu-ray.

Apparently, it was up to Arrow to license the film and finally make it available.

But it ain't no 4k. It's a Blu-ray. Viewing it, I'm thinking that there wouldn't be much gained in a 4k. This image is sharp as a tack, and what some may call grainy. I kinda like it. Zero regrets.

Great colors, proper black levels, and an instructive differential between the main title sequence and the production footage that will show precisely how much is lost in a dupe.

My advice, especially for those who may never have been exposed, is grab a copy. And for those who do know, it's directed by Don Siegel. It's also one of those odd theatrical productions with a list of "guest stars." Had me thinking about The Alamo.

Guest stars was generally a term that you'd see in episodic TV.

Hat's off to Arrow for delivering the goods!

Image – 10

Audio – 10

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Worth your attention - 10

Slipcover rating - n/a

Upgrade from DVD - About time!

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

So happy I did, I was blown away by how perfect it looks just for a 2K scan and Blu-Ray release. Really fantastic!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Just purchased this title today and am looking forward to it being in my collection. Was on the fence about it not being on 4K bluray but decided to get it after reading the review above, thanks Robert Harris.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks