What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Today, The Shootist. By 1976, John Wayne had become not just synonymous with the Western genre, he was also one of the most recognized movie stars of the 20th Century. Around the same time, Don Siegel had firmly established himself as a go-to guy for directing action movies and had just completed both Charley Varrick (1973) and The Black Windmill (1974) for Universal Pictures. However, Wayne and Siegel would team up for the first and only time in the cinematic adaptation of Glendon Swarthout’s novel The Shootist. Previously released on DVD by Paramount, Arrow Video has licensed the movie from the studio for its US Blu-ray debut.

The Shootist (1976)

Released: 21 Jul 1976
Rated: PG
Runtime: 100 min

Director: Don Siegel
Genre: Drama, Romance, Western

Cast: John Wayne...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Thank you for the review, looking forward to getting mine tomorrow.

John Carradine also worked with John Wayne previously in Stagecoach.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Thank you for this review of a film I admire as well as like. I'm puzzled by one thing. If there are "scratches, tears and dirt present on the transfer" then there is scope for improvement, so how can we be certain that " This release is by far the best the movie will ever look on home video?"

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Probably because it’s extremely unlikely that any of these titles will be remastered again.

Lee Sandersen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leland T. Sandersen
One of the two movies I can think of where The Duke dies. This and the Cowboys. Anyone think of any others? I miss ya John Boy! Despite some of your personal life drama, your movies were the best.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One of the two movies I can think of where The Duke dies. This and the Cowboys. Anyone think of any others? I miss ya John Boy! Despite some of your personal life drama, your movies were the best.
Sands of Iwo Jima and The Fighting Seabees. Also Wake of the Red Witch and Reap the Wild Wind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks