Internet Explorer 7 is released...

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
However, do be aware of two things in IE 7.0:

1) The look and feel is VERY different, so be prepared for a period of adjustment to the new interface.

2) Some web pages will not render correctly in IE 7.0.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Actually I'd say that both are probably correct... although semantically the latter is. The pages that don't work right now are probably the ones that were built expressly to fit the mighty buggy and non-standard IE 6, so you might make the case that it's the pages that don't render.

May as well upgrade as I'll probably get it foisted on my via a company wide upgrade anyhow one of these days...

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
My company will be upgrading to IE7 in about a month.

Welcome news imo
99% less time-wasting CSS hacks for me!

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Just downloaded it today, having a few glitches to work out. You guys are so right, some websites just won't open. Probably due to some incompatability with some of the features(protection against phishing etc..) on my Trend-Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security 2007 software. Decided to turn off that feature on the IE7. Having no problems when using the Firefox

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
I downloaded it. I installed it.

Yadda.

I'm still using my trusty ol' Firefox browser with NoScript. That's really all you need, innit?

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Ok here is a question I should know the answer to but I don’t.

What setting do I change so web shortcuts that I have on my desktop open in full screen?

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I was amused that from Firefox, I could not get the download. I had to fire up an old copy of IE in order to get the new version of IE.

Though I'll continue to use Firefox, there was one thing I liked about IE better than Firefox: IE detected that I had Abobe Acrobat and it added a button to turn web pages into pdfs - something that Firefox does not seem to have.

My general impression is that the new IE is like "Firefox light", probably good enough for the masses. But unless they come out with add-ins (like Firefox's many plug-ins), it won't be good enough for heavy users.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Personally I was annoyed that it turns on Cleartype by default. If it were only in the browser it wouldn't have annoyed me, but since Outlook (which I'm required to use at work) is somehow incestuously connected to the IE components, all my emails were cleartyped as well. Since I think Cleartype looks like crap, that annoyed me.

Fortunately, you can go to the advanced settings and turn it off.

Some people love Cleartype but I don't. It's just a hack to try to make text look better on low resolution displays (and most of the displays we use on PC's are pretty low resolution really, even at 1280x1024...)

I also find IE 7 just as clunky in the interface as the older versions. I may be spoiled from Opera, but Microsoft seem to focus too much on helpful messages and pages and such crud over speed, and that's just not the mindset that suits me.

dberthia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave
For some reason scrolling is choppy and slow on my site with IE7. Can you guys notice the problem as well, or is it just me? If so, anybody have any idea what is happening?

http://www.davesden.com/

My first thought was that it was on account of my large background image or my "border" images, but I temporarily removed them and still noticed the problem. I also tried disabling "smooth scrolling" in IE7.

My $0.02 in the new IE7 user interface? Makes me think too much and is counter-intuitive.

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
I looked through the available extensions for IE7, and to be honest, the one or two that looked remotely interesting wanted money from me. Meh.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Ok, decided after 12 hrs. to just delete IE7 because some websites were slow opening up or wouldn't open up, and on some, they wouldn't close,just lock up. I'm sure it was just a matter of changing some settings,but I lack the computer skills to figure it out,lol.

David Dias

Stunt Coordinator
I've read that if you use the tabbed browsing feature in IE7 that it's a major resource hog. I'll stick with Firefox unless I hear different.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I've been using IE7 for months (beta) and never have noticed any slowdown with tabbed browsing. I'm happy with it.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
conradfan