What's new

Upcoming Paramounts (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Martin Blythe just posted this in the feedback forum, in case anyone here might miss it

i think there are a couple new titles on here different from the R2 list that was posted about a week or so back

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
And still not-so-patiently awaiting Robinson Crusoe on Mars. Honestly, given all the obscure small titles being brought out by so many, what's the delay in this beloved-by-a-committed-few 1964 film?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
there are four movies from Paramount i'm waiting for.
all of them are a little more essential (and exploitable i would think) than titles like Crazy People & Critical Condition.
i don't really understand the reticence of studios to release more A product before scrapping the sides of the barrell.
Whats the point of saving more popular titles for down the road if you are going to be squnadering resources putting out discs that fewer people want in the mean-time?
there are just too many choices now for people to pick up a catalog title just because its new to disc.
but then, i guess there is a reason i'm not in charge of these things.

however i'm not too bummed out by this list as i just realized it contains a movie i've seen on cable several times, but never knew the name of- the Counterfiet Traitor.
this movie is outstanding and i can't wait to own it!
Assassination Bureau sounds interesting as well...Oliver Reed and Diana Rigg...hmmm.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Danger Diabolik! The "lost" Mario Bava movie that I've been waiting for is finally being released! Knowing Paramount, there won't be many extras here and I certainly doubt the MST3K version will be there, but I'll likely buy this blind based on what I've heard and my fondness for Bava.:emoji_thumbsup:

Sorry for you folks who aren't getting the movies you want. Be patient! I'm sure Paramount will get to them eventually.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I hope that "Love With the Proper Stranger" with Natalie Wood and Steve McQueen is released soon on DVD from Paramount.
With the TV movie about Natalie and the recent book by Gavin Lambert, it would be timely and its a great film .

James L White

Supporting Actor
thanks Paul,

Big Top Pee Wee and Crazy People :emoji_thumbsup:

here's a list posted in the digitalbits rumor mill on Tuesday

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

Ken, that's my #1 Paramount request too.
i've been pestering Martin for that for years now.
they did miss a good opportunity to exploit it with the TV bio recently- hopefully it won't be too much longer- but if it is coming anytime soon, it looks like it won't be until the end of the year now at the earliest.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Great that Diabolik is on it's way!

But Paramount are still overlooking Robinson Crusoe On Mars, which would net them a decent amount of cash...

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
Looking over my Excel spreadsheet, there are only about ten Paramount films I'm dying to have released on DVD:

The Blue Bird (Maurice Tourneur/1918)
Underworld (Josef von Sternberg/1927)
The Docks of New York (von Sternberg/1928)
The Last Command (von Sternberg/1928)
The Wedding March (Erich von Stroheim/1928)

The Miracle of Morgan's Creek (Preston Sturges/1944)
Ace in the Hole (Billy Wilder/1951)
The African Queen (John Huston/1951)
The Conformist/Il Conformista (Bernardo Bertolucci/1971)
1900 (Bertolucci/1976)

Since the first five are silents, I'm not holding my breath (but I would love to hear from Mr. Blythe what plans Paramount has for their great silents--which I believe were not part of the deal that sent most of Paramount's great library prior to 1948 to Universal; AFAIK, The Miracle of Morgan's Creek is also an exception to this rule).

So nothing in the "Coming Soon" list piques my interest ... but I remain patient and hopeful.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Wow! That was nice of Martin to first announce some future titles at the Home Theater Forum.

DVD Times reports Richard Attenborough recorded an audio commentary for the up coming DVD release of "Oh! What a Lovely War" R2. Will this title be released in the states as well?

john mcfadden

Stunt Coordinator
Still waiting for "The Whoopie Boys " with Paul Rodreguez
I think i'll be waiting awhile.....funny assed movie :emoji_thumbsup:

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
Brian,

I doubt we'll ever see a relase of THE BLUE BIRD from any company, and definitely not Paramount. Although it's fallen into the public domain, the existing print has extremely bad nitrate decomposition througout the film. A great picture, none the less, directed by the unbeatable Tourneur.

Paramount and Universal both seem to neglect their silent stock the worst. While a lot of it might not be profitable, I don't forsee it being too hard to outlease the films to companies that specialize in those niche audiences.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
As usual, a studio announces a terrific slate of upcoming flicks and we get the whiners complaining that THEIR favorites aren't on the list. Paramount could release every single title in their library and there would STILL be complaints that Paramount didn't take the time to do it right and give this title or that title the special attention that it deserves.

Still, thanks Mr. Blythe for some mouthwatering titles. Anna Magnani in her Oscar winning role in Tennesse Williams' The Rose Tattoo, Shirley Booth in her Oscar winning role in William Inge's Come Back Little Sheba, Sophia Loren and Anthony Perkins in Eugene O'Neill's Desire Under The Elms as well as one of Sophia Loren's best performances in Black Orchid for which she won a best actress prize (Cannes or Venice?), not to mention one of Richard Burton's best performances in Martin Ritt's Spy Who Came In From The Cold as well as the marvelous WWII thriller, Counterfeit Traitor with William Holden and people are whining???

Well, SOME of us are tickled pink, Mr. Blythe. Thanks and I look forward to more Paramount classic releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks