What's new

TV Shows starring classic movie stars. (1 Viewer)

Blake Comeaux

Stunt Coordinator
Any chance of seeing these on DVD:

"Hawkins" or "The Jimmy Stewart Show"
Although canceled each after one season. I could easily see these selling well due to the presence of James Stewart. I'd definately pick both up even though I've never seen them.

"African Skies" and "A Family for Joe"
Both starred Robert Mitchum

"The Barbara Stanwyck Show" from the 1960s if episodes still exist.
Also her 70s TV MoviesTaste of Evil, The Letters, and House That Would Not Die.

The same goes for anthology shows starring Hollywood greats such as:

Zane Grey Theater
General Electric Theater
The Dick Powell Show
The Joey Bishop Show

Others:
The Blue Knight Mini-series starring William Holden (Best Actor Emmy)
AFI Lifetime Achievment Specials (Hitchcock, Cagney, Ford)
"New York News" with Mary Tyler Moore, Madeline Kahn, and some George C. Scott appearances.

Although most were unsuccessful ratings wise I believe there is an audience for most of these on DVD and with the recent licensing trend might actually have a chance.

Blake
(I read the boards everyday, but haven't posted in quite awhile)

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Many of the AFI specials were released on laserdisc, around 12 or 14 if I recall correctly.

I've always wondered why there were no DVD releases for these specials.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Though there isn't a firm release date yet, VCI Entertainment will be releasing season 1 of "Zane Grey Theatre."

VCI Entertainment: Home

Alpha Video has released a number of public domain episodes from "General Electric Theater" (see volumes 1, 2, and 7).

Movie Search: golden age theater: DVDs : OLDIES.com

Season 2 of "The Joey Bishop Show" has been available on DVD for some time now.

Joey Bishop Show - Complete 2nd Season (6-DVD) - Television on DVD (2004) Starring Joey Bishop; SFM Enterprises : OLDIES.com

jamoon2006

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Mooney
Count me in for Hawkins as well. One of my favorite Jimmy Stewart roles is the savvy defense attorney in Anatomy of a Murder, so I'd love to see this courtroom mystery series.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
Some additions to your list, none of which are ever going to be released.

The Jean Arthur Show
The Debbie Reynolds Show
Cade's County and The Family Holvak (Glenn Ford)
The Ray Bolger Show
The Ray Milland Show and Markham (Ray Milland)
The Rogues (Charles Boyer, David Niven and Gig Young)
The Greatest Show on Earth (Jack Palance)
Mickey (Mickey Rooney)
The Bing Crosby Show
Pistols 'n' Petticoats (Ann Sheridan)

Probably many more if I thought about it. And I'm leaving out all of the anthology shows from the 50s like Gloria Swanson Theatre, Errol Flynn Theatre, etc.

Blake Comeaux

Stunt Coordinator
I was just about to post about "The Smith Family" which I noticed on IMDB today. I also noticed that Henry Fonda starred in "The Deputy" TV series which had 75 episodes. I'm not sure if he was in all of them (only says 25 on imdb, but may be incomplete). Two of which are available on the Legendary Lawmen: Bat Masterson/The Deputy DVD from Alpha.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't eventually see TIMELESS do a release on MARKHAM - it was an MCA show,and 16mm prints are around.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank

Even though Fonda was the big name star, The Deputy didn't really focus on him. He very well might not have been in that many episode. Can't believe I forgot the Smith Family, one of my favorites. Very odd show, neither comedy nor drama but more like an early version of a dramedy. Probably more serious than funny. It and another Don Fedderson series, To Rome With Love, were actually given by him to an independent distributor but unfortunately he sold them off to Viacom years ago. So no chance of them ever seeing the light of day again.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Timeless Media put out a call to 16 mm collectors sometime ago about assembling episodes of this series for a DVD release (they get the DVD rights from Universal, owner of the Revue Studios catalog, but not the actual prints which they have to assemble on their own). To date, there has been nothing on this from Timeless, suggesting that episodes from this series may be hard to come by. But I wouldn't rule it out; over time, they may be able to assemble enough episodes for a release. The two episodes on the Alpha release have turned up on numerous collections of Western TV episodes. Fortunately, Henry Fonda appears in both of these episodes (prominently in "The Hard Decision" episode).

Incidentally, if you want to see a TV show with classic movie stars (some dating back to the silent era), don't forget about the recent release of "Burke's Law," season 1, volume 1. They're all guest star roles, but it's hard for me to think of another show that has so many old time (and up and coming) stars in it week after week.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Anthony Quinn: THE MAN AND THE CITY, June Allyson's anthology ("Silent Panic" had Haro in a serious role), Richard Widmark in the MADIGAN spinoff. Would love to have the Henry Fonda tv movies: THE RED PONY and STRANGER ON THE RUN directed by Don Siegal. I also wonder about the possibility of G.E. THEATER hosted by Ronald Reagan. It had a reunion of the Marx Brothers in "The Great Diamond Robbery" and Groucho had a straight part in THE HOLDOUT with Dennis Hopper and Brooke Hayward.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
How about "The Detectives Starring Robert Taylor"? I'd like to see that one. It was produced by Four Star Productions. Episodes of it are a bit rare.

Besides "Wanted: Dead or Alive," Four Star also brought us the "Four Star Playhouse," with David Niven, Dick Powell, Charles Boyer, and Ida Lupino, another show I'd like to see more episodes of.

I'd also like to see more of the 1950s version of the "Loretta Young Show." Timeless released some. Hope to see more.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank

When all of the Universal black and white 16mm prints hit the collectors' world about 20 years ago I don't recall The Deputy being one of them that came out. However, if I'm not mistaken, the show did run off tape transfers some time in the 90s, either on TV Land or syndication. So there may be tapes available, that is if they didn't burn up in the fire.

FrosteyV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Villafana
Did anyone mention:

M Squad (Lee Marvin)
The Frank Sinatra Show
Johnny Staccato (John Cassavetes)

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Incidentally, if you want to see a TV show with classic movie stars (some dating back to the silent era), don't forget about the recent release of "Burke's Law," season 1, volume 1. They're all guest star roles, but it's hard for me to think of another show that has so many old time (and up and coming) stars in it week after week.

Murder, She Wrote. The show is headlined by a movie star and I can't think of another show (I've never seen Burke's Law) that has so many old time (and up and coming) stars in it week after week.

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
VCI is releasing Four Star Playhouse: Classic TV Series Vol. 1 on July 30th of this year (July 16th for us Canadians, for some reason).

But don't ask me what's on it, I can't find a contents description anywhere online. In fact, VCI's own website doesn't even list the release and it's less than a week away (for me)!

However, it is listed on several online retail site, including Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Four-Star-Pl...=gateway&sprefix=four+star+pla,aps,168&sr=8-1

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks