What's new

TV Shows starring classic movie stars. (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
More generally back in the day (ie. 20+ years ago), how common was it for aging and/or "has been" actors/actresses to appear on tv shows or b-movies for a steady income? (For example, such as somebody like a George Peppard).

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
From the dawn of television, that's what classic films stars approaching middle-age did:

Lucille Ball, Bob Cummings, Joan Davis, Ann Sothern, Loretta Young, and many others knew that their days as a viable movie star were numbered, so they shifted into television where their star power still counted for something. Years later, Rock Hudson, Jimmy Stewart and others did the same thing.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
More generally back in the day (ie. 20+ years ago), how common was it for aging and/or "has been" actors/actresses to appear on tv shows or b-movies for a steady income? (For example, such as somebody like a George Peppard).
Speaking of George Peppard, I saw some sort of documentary the other evening, about 20 minutes, about nuclear war. It had George in it, pre-Hannibal Smith, as a commander of sorts in an underground bunker who was in charge of nuking Russia. He really didn't have any speaking parts. Does anyone know if that was pruned from a movie, a TV show, or what?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Speaking of George Peppard, I saw some sort of documentary the other evening, about 20 minutes, about nuclear war. It had George in it, pre-Hannibal Smith, as a commander of sorts in an underground bunker who was in charge of nuking Russia. He really didn't have any speaking parts. Does anyone know if that was pruned from a movie, a TV show, or what?
Sounds like Damnation Alley.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damnation_Alley_(film)

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea had the great Richard Basehart.

As far as guests, Irwin Allen employed a TON of old movie stars.

John Cassavetes in the season 2 "The Peacemaker".
Robert Duvall in the season 1 "The Invaders".
Vincent Price in the season 4 “The Deadly Dolls".
George Sanders in the season 1 "The Traitor".

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Actor Boris Karloff appears in many sixties series as a guest:
Route 66
The Wild Wild West
The Girl from UNCLE
I Spy
The Name of the Game

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Count me in for Hawkins as well. One of my favorite Jimmy Stewart roles is the savvy defense attorney in Anatomy of a Murder, so I'd love to see this courtroom mystery series.

Hawkins was issued on Warner Archive. It was and is MOD, but it's still available from Warner Archive at $39.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There is a gray market disk out there with 5 episodes of the 39 televised. I can't speak to the quality or legality.

Thanks! I no longer have any gray market connections (wish I did, I’d like to see this) but at least I have an answer now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks