What's new

Press Release Classic Film Historian Phil Hopkins Launches Film Masters (2 Viewers)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
341033_medium.jpg 339688_medium.jpg 337775_medium.jpg

Industry Veteran + Noted Film Historian Phil Hopkins Launches Restoration + Distribution Company With Goal of Saving + Celebrating Classic Film

Streaming Now; Blu-ray + DVD Releases Coming This Fall

www.FilmMasters.com

ROCKPORT, Mass. — June 28, 2023 — For Immediate Release — A new vintage film restoration and distribution company, Film Masters, has been launched by industry veteran and film historian Phil Hopkins.

Said Hopkins, “Preserving these films in an increasingly homogenized media world is more important than ever. As a consortium of historians and avid enthusiasts, Film Masters was launched to celebrate the preservation and restoration of vintage movies, many of them cult films, that otherwise might not be seen or experienced by a new generation of film lovers. Each release will feature original bonus materials that contextualize and enhance the enjoyment and understanding of the film.”

With one Blu-ray/DVD title planned each month, the premiere release under the new label on Sept. 26 will be a two-disc collection featuring the schlock, cult favorite The Giant Gila Monster with bonus film The Killer Shrews, which were released as a double-feature bill in 1959. Followed by the horror flick Beast From Haunted Cove (1959) on Oct. 24; and the drama The Scarlett Letter (1934) on Nov. 21.

The majority of the film releases will be restored from a new, 4k scan of 35mm, original film elements; will be offered in original aspect ratios; and will be presented on region-free discs with DTS-HD sound and Dolby AC3s sound.

Working with Hopkins as part of the Film Masters team to provide an array of insights and viewpoints on film to develop original content for bonus features are author Larry Blamire; producer/director Daniel Griffith; author and film historian C. Courtney Joyner; professor and film scholar Jason A. Ney; film historian Sam Sherman; and film historian Tom Weaver, among other noted, guest commentators.

Additionally, there will be original editorial content for classic film fans featured on the Film Masters website and in four-color, collectible booklets inserted into Blu-ray/DVD releases, provided by Susan King, a film/TV/theater writer for the Los Angeles Times for 26 years specializing in classic Hollywood; award-winning journalist and author Don Stradley; Karen Burroughs Hannsberry, author of two books on film noir and editor of The Dark Pages newsletter; author and filmmaker Anders Runestad; Kami and Chris Spagenberg, editors of the Classic Couple website, which celebrates vintage movies and film history; and other select guests with knowledge of classic film and a respected presence in the community.

On the company’s website, the Film Masters Blog will post multiple articles each month covering a variety of topics, often to contextualize a film showing on Film Masters YouTube Channel, which is now streaming a variety of classic films athttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4vyUiIG_LhSuo2V3mFws6A

Also showing on the YouTube channel, is an ongoing, original series, “Legendary Faces,” which pays homage to Hollywood's most iconic stars and launched this week with a Peter Lorre tribute.

XXXXXXXX

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
One blu ray/DVD per month?
As much as could be expected from a start-up company which is preserving little known films.

Although the titles mentioned hold little interest for me, the venture is to be welcomed by all who care about movies from the past and who dread the idea of films being lost forever.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
At first glance, it seems to be a hopeful outfit. I went to the youtube page and there were also titles that could use some love, and hopfully Fillm Masters will be the place. Many of these B films have languished in PD hell and not been taken seriously. If the Brain Eaters, Killer Shews and Giant Gila Monsters can get some respect, anything is possible!!
Some of the other titles viewed on the YTC were The Little Princess (1939) with Shirley Temple, Captain Kidd (1945) with Charles Laughton & Randolph Scott and The Inspector General (1949) with Danny Kaye. All of these would do well with a remasted edition...the Best of Luck to all involved!!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I wish them well! If it becomes a success, they may expand to more per month. But this is great start! There are so many films that need help… anyone taking one the restoration and release of classic film is a hero to me!
There's still life in Home Vid for CLASSICS in great quality - wish them SUCCESS!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
That announcement helped clear up something that was crawling around in the back of my head, i thought that is was going to be a sublabel of The Film Detective (now owned by Cinedigm Entertainment Group, whom is rumored to have bought the The FATW library with over 150 feature films ) apparently not.

Nice to see another label that is interested in preservation and distribution of overlooked classic films

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
That announcement helped clear up something that was crawling around in the back of my head, i thought that is was going to be a sublabel of The Film Detective (now owned by Cinedigm Entertainment Group, whom is rumored to have bought the The FATW library with over 150 feature films ) apparently not.

Nice to see another label that is interested in preservation and distribution of overlooked classic films
Agreed, it sounded that way to me as well. To sounds like some from Film Detective came over to Filmasters to create a whole new company. Now wether they have any sort of relationship with Cinedigm has not been mentioned. It will be interesting how this all plays out, have you been over to thier Youtube channel yet? I quess we'll see over time...

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
We need restored Blu-rays of two Hedi Lamarr movies, The Strange Woman & Dishonored Lady. I have the Film Chest & Movie Ventures / Miracle Picture DVDs respectively and the prints are in pretty decent shape. Great projects for a new company!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Well if this place is doing full-on Restorations and releases, can we finally possibly get a decent release of D. O. A. 1950, this Noir Classic deserves so much better treatment than all the crappy PD Alpha video releases where you can barely make out the film and it looks like a muddled mess strained through pantyhose.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Agreed, it sounded that way to me as well. To sounds like some from Film Detective came over to Filmasters to create a whole new company. Now wether they have any sort of relationship with Cinedigm has not been mentioned. It will be interesting how this all plays out, have you been over to thier Youtube channel yet? I quess we'll see over time...
Do you think we continue to get more of the Wade Williams stuff that was rotting away ? I'm not sure to what extent of what he owned rights to, He claimed Invaders from Mars was his , And look what happened to that , Someone else restored it in beautiful 4K . Anyway this is a great move , And i'm all in with both Film Detectives (blu-ray only) and Film Masters , Hopefully they can do some UHDs down the road . I do wish the KIller shrews' were the top billing and got the 4k restoration . Much better movie then the slow moving Gila Monster . Now if they could get the Susan Hart owned movies pried from her clutching hands ....

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
A nice review for the Giant Gila Monster and Killer Shrews enjoy. See if you agree or disagree...let me know and why...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks