What's new

TV on DVD news roundup (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'm not so sure I agree with that statement anymore now that I have seen what Blu-ray can do with analog video. That doesn't apply in this case since they went back and remastered it from film. Why is it that seemingly every catalog TV Blu-ray release from CBS/Paramount has bombed regardless of genre or era? Doesn't that smell fishy to you? They expect us to believe that the demand for all these shows suddenly shrunk to zero overnight and that all their fans just up and died? Just because not everyone is upgrading doesn't mean no one is.

And MoD is just enough for them to say "but we tried" when sales are virtually nonexistent for S2.

Well, I wasn't going to buy it anyway, but the only reason I know it exists is because it was mentioned here.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
MOD discs don't always play on computer/laptop or DVD/Blu-ray player, it can play for one, but won't for the other.

I remember such a thing being said about the Warner Bros. first-season MOD of Spenser: For Hire (1985-86) that I had at one time-- it was meant for regular players, and wouldn't work for recorders or computer drives.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm not so sure I agree with that statement anymore now that I have seen what Blu-ray can do with analog video. That doesn't apply in this case since they went back and remastered it from film. Why is it that seemingly every catalog TV Blu-ray release from CBS/Paramount has bombed regardless of genre or era? Doesn't that smell fishy to you? They expect us to believe that the demand for all these shows suddenly shrunk to zero overnight and that all their fans just up and died? Just because not everyone is upgrading doesn't mean no one is.

Well, I wasn't going to buy it anyway, but the only reason I know it exists is because it was mentioned here.
I'd say because they overprice their BR product on a very regular basis. IMHO they're generally worse than either KINO or Shout! in that respect.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
These shows would sell more units if they cost half as much.

Kino and Shout! are not creators of content, so they don't have the overhead costs associated with studios.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
No, but they (KINO and Shout!) price their product as if they do. I know they have licensing costs and limited availability for distribution but I have to think they'd move almost double the amount of product and make a larger profit if they lowered their prices by only 25%.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Maybe so, but they also don't want to be perceived as being a bargain basement brand the way Mill Creek is. Despite their questionable mastering practices for DVD, they restored stuff on Sony shows Sony themselves left off, and they can make TV on Blu-ray pay for them. What Charlie's Angels is selling for is about what the shows Paramount have offered are worth, maybe a little bit more. They'll all come down in price eventually anyway. Some shows I feel more inclined to pay any price for simply because they need the money while others are guaranteed sellers.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
. Why is it that seemingly every catalog TV Blu-ray release from CBS/Paramount has bombed regardless of genre or era? Doesn't that smell fishy to you?

Not at all. Price prohibitive, stupid season by season releases (again if Star Trek TNG did poorly in this season by season model...) instead of a complete series package, and the biggest issue the loss of huge brick, and mortar stores no longer carrying these titles.
When you can't grab casual fans by offering a title to them in Wal-MArt, Target, Meijer, and Best Buy---how in the world is the average consumer going to even know these titles exist?

They won't.

And for they very niche audience that are in the know, and are potential buyers but have the fear of abandonment, and high price point to contend with...and don't end up purchasing because they want to "wait and see" if another season is released, or a price drop well there you have another brick wall in terms of sales for it.

The odds are stacked against any BD classic TV season being released. There are miracles like Little House on the Prairie, and Flipper, but it is basically a dire situation.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
When you can't grab casual fans by offering a title to them in Wal-MArt, Target, Meijer, and Best Buy---how in the world is the average consumer going to even know these titles exist?

Seemingly why Shout!'s seasonal DVDs of Marcus Welby, M.D. and L.A. Law stalled out after two and three respectively-- because the only way you could get them was online (no store purchases).

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
From people who supposedly know what they're talking about, this simply isn't true. Especially, from what they write, in the case of TV series shot on videotape.

If videotape were put to Blu, wouldn't it look more or less the same as it did at the time of the original broadcasts?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
No big surprise Blindspot season 4 is bluray-mod.

The previous season 3 was also bluray-mod, while the season 3 dvd had a general wide release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks