What's new

TV on DVD news roundup (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Working Stiffs got a VHS release after Michael Keaton became a movie star, so I wouldn't rule that out entirely.

Day by Day might come out eventually just because of Julia Louis-Dreyfus' presence and because of the links to both Family Ties and The Brady Bunch (both original and movie casts).

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
What does Valerie Harper's death mean for the legal status of Valerie on DVD (or even streaming)? Business as usual with her (theoretical) share going to her widower?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Blindspot season 4 and The 100 season 6 going BOTH dvd-mod and bluray-mod. No general wide release for the dvd versions.

This probably shouldn't be too surprising anymore.

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
I wrote to Movie Zyng some requests of old TV shows to be put out on MOD DVD. They sent the requests to their distributor that deals with the various studios.
How successful might it be to get shows on DVD through Movie Zyng's MOD service?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
How the mighty have fallen.

Back in the early-2010s, Warner was the king of tv on bluray.

Today Warner is now the king of tv on bluray-mod. Albeit a dusty tainted "crown".

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I have a WB Archives question. Right now, the November releases are up for the WB Archives webpage and facebook page. But does anybody think there will be some December releases coming out for the WBA in a month? It used to be WBA took December off, but I don't know if that's true now.

Any guesses would be helpful.

James

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Well, since MOD products are not inferior, I don’t understand these posts (apart from people enjoying being negative for negative’s sake)

Too soon to make this unqualified statement about BD-R. They have not been around long enough and there is no evidence to suggest they will be as reliable as DVD-Rs have largely proven to be. Not being negative for negative's sake, just being realistic.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Too soon to make this unqualified statement about BD-R. They have not been around long enough and there is no evidence to suggest they will be as reliable as DVD-Rs have largely proven to be. Not being negative for negative's sake, just being realistic.

And there is no evidence to suggest they will be less reliable either.

Without supporting facts, there is no ‘realistic’.

I prefer to not prejudge based solely on how something is labeled.

I realize that technology improves over time. So even though early versions of a product may have problems doesn’t, by default, mean that later versions will.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
The reliability of recordable media depends on the disc brand, burning software, drive quality, burn speed. All of which the customer cannot know or control. So even DVD-R is a question mark long term. However, to be fair, plenty of pressed Warner discs have failed after less than 10 years.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The reliability of recordable media depends on the disc brand, burning software, drive quality, burn speed. All of which the customer cannot know or control. So even DVD-R is a question mark long term.

The end for me was when Taiyo Yuden sold their disc manufacturing operation to CMC several years ago. Basically the best burnable cd/dvd discs (Taiyo Yuden) sold their operations to the worst manufacturer (CMC) of burnable cd/dvd discs.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen

I prefer to not prejudge based solely on how something is labeled.

I realize that technology improves over time. So even though early versions of a product may have problems doesn’t, by default, mean that later versions will.

Being “realistic” in this case was to refute your contention that anyone who opposes a contrary view to yours must be being negative for its own sake, something I wholly disagree with. Your overly optimistic comment states emphatically that the medium of burnt discs is not inferior. Where are YOUR facts for BD-Rs to make such a definitive claim? You have no evidence to back up such a black and white conclusion and your charge that I am pre-judging can be aimed right back at you. At least I qualified my statement and didn’t erroneously portray it as fact. As such, I was being much more REALISTIC about the situation.

As an aside, my own personal evidence, which I did not apply whatsoever to my comment about unproven technology, is that I have hundreds of MOD discs in my collection and I’m sorry if you deem this being negative for negativity’s sake, but I have had more than a few failures. There are some members here who like to perpetuate the myth that burnt discs NEVER fail and that is simply not true. The most common fallacy I have read over and over is that pressed discs fail more than burnt ones. For me personally it’s been about 50-50 and all the failures have come from Warner Brothers or the Warner Archive. I’ve exhausted the Warner rep Shari Bogard with all my unplayable discs. As I said, this is only my personal experience, but I would never buy into the idea that burnt discs never fail.

With BD-Rs, I stand by my original post that it’s still too early to make any substantial statements about their quality or longevity. See you in ten years.

EDIT TO ADD: There’s nothing personal in this, David, and for me not worth dragging it out into a message board feud, something I try to avoid. If we just agree to disagree, that’s fine with me. I really don’t have anything further to add to my perspective anyway.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Being “realistic” in this case was to refute your contention that anyone who opposes a contrary view to yours must be being negative for its own sake, something I wholly disagree with. Your overly optimistic comment states emphatically that the medium of burnt discs is not inferior. Where are YOUR facts for BD-Rs to make such a definitive claim? You have no evidence to back up such a black and white conclusion and your charge that I am pre-judging can be aimed right back at you. At least I qualified my statement and didn’t erroneously portray it as fact. As such, I was being much more REALISTIC about the situation.

(On a tangent).

From direct first hand experience, I had way too many bad experiences with "made in India" and "made in China" blank discs back around the turn of 2010 and into the early->mid 2010s. Either there were too many DOA discs straight outta the package, or the burned discs developed read errors within a few years.

Since then, I absolutely refuse to use burnable cd/dvd discs manufactured in places like India, China, etc ... regardless of the company that manufactured it.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

This does not always happen, due to economics and not technical reasons.

One big example are burnable cd/dvd blank discs. The current stuff on the wide market is considerably inferior to more than a decade ago, primarily due to less demand nowadays. (People would rather use something else such as flash drives, than burning data to cd/dvd blank discs).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

(On a tangent).

From direct first hand experience ...

To be more specific, my first hand experience over the years involving running quality tests on burning cd/dvd discs. (I didn't burn/scan enough bluray-r discs to have a semi-accurate picture of how good/bad burnable bd discs were overall).

Back in the 2000s decade and to a lesser degree during the early->mid 2010s, I was one of those shlumps that would buy a lot of blank cdr/dvdr discs (and later bd-r) discs and various computer dvd drives, just to do scanning on various discs + drives combinations.

Whenever there was a sale and/or dump bins with blank discs and/or drives at nearby computer shops, I wiould purchase some of this stuff to do quality tests. All this was a "hobby" for me. (I rarely ever used these cd/dvd/bluray discs for actual real data storage myself).

This was not "scientific" in the strictest sense. It was largely a lot of direct anecdotal first hand experiences, that I'm comfortable with my conclusions about burnable cd/dvd media.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
After three decades of dealing with hard drives, I'd rather take my chances with discs.

Definitely.

This is the primary reason why I print out on paper anything which I consider important enough. Also the primary reason reason why I still buy paper books and not digital ebooks, for non-fiction and technical type stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks