What's new

Tower speakers (1 Viewer)

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Tekton speakers use paper cones and are relatively efficient. While they will get loud on low wattage, they aren't the ideal choice for those who want power handling and dynamic theater listening. You'd be much better services going with something that is meant for playing louder. I'd aim for the used market and go with something that uses a ribbon or horn tweeter.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
FWIW, considering what you're looking at, maybe another worthwhile option for music listening is to go w/ a good pair of headphones plus dedicated head amp.

I haven't really had much time/opp for serious music listening on my main system (in the livingroom) in a very long time since having kids... though I might gradually get back to that as my kids have gradually become more savvy about music appreciation (in part because they've all grown into increasingly advanced violinists/violists and have also added some voice training and such) and also won't be around too much longer -- 2 of them are now college aged while the last will begin middle school (and may end up becoming the most advanced musician in the family).

I haven't really missed the serious listening to recordings much given all that (and spending more time at live concerts)... though BDs plus front projection have increased our enjoyment of operas a good deal.

Anyway, I picked up a pair of Sennheiser HD600 a while ago, and added a gently used, Oppo BDP-95 to go w/ my old Yammy AVR (that I only ever used as prepro before upgrading to an Emotiva UMC-200) for my home office personal listening setup. Per another HTF longtimer's rec, I've finally gone ahead and bought a DIY Bottlehead Crack + Speedball upgrade tube head amp kit and will give the DIY OTL route a shot -- had to pick up a soldering iron, etc and finally learn to do some of my own soldering, hahaha. The HD600 cans already sound pretty great (being clean, neutral and detailed) as driven by the Yammy AVR's headphone out w/ Oppo BDP-95 as source. Hoping for a beefier bottom end and some more warmth w/ the Bottlehead Crack + Speedball upgrade -- the HD600 are high impedance and require substantial power and current, and the Bottlehead Crack seems to have become the de facto best value option to drive them.

Might not yield the kind of sound stage imaging nor body-slamming bass of a pair of well-set-up and driven, $2K-plus speakers, but it does seem easier to yield greater detail and neutrality this way. And I mainly listen to classical music that could use more of those qualities than body-slamming bass (vs the tight, clean bass that's only heard, not felt, w/ the cans). And of course, I won't have to kick everyone else out of the room or force them to listen quietly along w/ me this way, hahaha.

Anyhoo... just figured I'd also throw the quality headphone solution out there for you to consider (just for music listening)... IF you do consider that route, maybe check out the HiFiMan HE400i as well... since they don't seem to be as demanding on amplification and can currently be had for a bit less than the Sennheisers..

_Man_

PS: Maybe I will eventually upgrade my aging main speakers (Vandersteen 2Cis) in the livingroom if I do get around to serious listening to them again on regular basis. I was eyeing the Vandersteen 3As and up, but I'm more likely to just settle for a new pair of the latest iteration of the 2C series (unless I can get used 3A Signature for just a bit more) and maybe move the old 2Cis to surround duty, especially if I end up listening to more hirez surround music in the future... FWIW, I drive them w/ a seemingly ageless B&K 5-channel amp...

Last edited:

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
FWIW, considering what you're looking at, maybe another worthwhile option for music listening is to go w/ a good pair of headphones plus dedicated head amp.

I haven't really had much time/opp for serious music listening on my main system (in the livingroom) in a very long time since having kids... though I might gradually get back to that as my kids have gradually become more savvy about music appreciation (in part because they've all grown into increasingly advanced violinists/violists and have also added some voice training and such) and also won't be around too much longer -- 2 of them are now college aged while the last will begin middle school (and may end up becoming the most advanced musician in the family).

I haven't really missed the serious listening to recordings much given all that (and spending more time at live concerts)... though BDs plus front projection have increased our enjoyment of operas a good deal.

Anyway, I picked up a pair of Sennheiser HD600 a while ago, and added a gently used, Oppo BDP-95 to go w/ my old Yammy AVR (that I only ever used as prepro before upgrading to an Emotiva UMC-200) for my home office personal listening setup. Per another HTF longtimer's rec, I've finally gone ahead and bought a DIY Bottlehead Crack + Speedball upgrade tube head amp kit and will give the DIY OTL route a shot -- had to pick up a soldering iron, etc and finally learn to do some of my own soldering, hahaha. The HD600 cans already sound pretty great (being clean, neutral and detailed) as driven by the Yammy AVR's headphone out w/ Oppo BDP-95 as source. Hoping for a beefier bottom end and some more warmth w/ the Bottlehead Crack + Speedball upgrade -- the HD600 are high impedance and require substantial power and current, and the Bottlehead Crack seems to have become the de facto best value option to drive them.

Might not yield the kind of sound stage imaging nor body-slamming bass of a pair of well-set-up and driven, $2K-plus speakers, but it does seem easier to yield greater detail and neutrality this way. And I mainly listen to classical music that could use more of those qualities than body-slamming bass (vs the tight, clean bass that's only heard, not felt, w/ the cans). And of course, I won't have to kick everyone else out of the room or force them to listen quietly along w/ me this way, hahaha.

Anyhoo... just figured I'd also throw the quality headphone solution out there for you to consider (just for music listening)... IF you do consider that route, maybe check out the HiFiMan HE400i as well... since they don't seem to be as demanding on amplification and can currently be had for a bit less than the Sennheisers..

_Man_

PS: Maybe I will eventually upgrade my aging main speakers (Vandersteen 2Cis) in the livingroom if I do get around to serious listening to them again on regular basis. I was eyeing the Vandersteen 3As and up, but I'm more likely to just settle for a new pair of the latest iteration of the 2C series (unless I can get used 3A Signature for just a bit more) and maybe move the old 2Cis to surround duty, especially if I end up listening to more hirez surround music in the future... FWIW, I drive them w/ a seemingly ageless B&K 5-channel amp...
I have a pair of HK classic headphones I bought for work, they sound pretty clean with good bass extension. I use them quite a bit when I travel however I dont like being tethered while at home unless Im watching a video on my tablet and dont want to bother my gf. I have the privilege/opportunity to setup a 2nd listening area in our house I think Ill get the Tektons for music only and stay with a dedicated HT for the front room that seems to be the best balance for the time being.

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
To revisit this there was a problem with the 685 woofers, I replaced them and now I have a hollow sound from the right channel and I suspect the xover. the new 685 s2 sound fantastic but are not in the budget. hopefully Ill have a chance to audition Klipsch rp160m or rp260s as a replacement this weekend and put the 685s in the 2nd room when theyre fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks