Jed
What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Speakers

Primary Use: 30% Music, 70% TV & Movies

Desired Configuration: 7.2/atmos

Room Size: 11×13×10

Is the room open to other areas of your home:no

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? Yes

What's your budget (low to high) $900-1400

I recently moved and my B&W 685 bookshelf speakers aren't filling the front room, would B&W 684s2 small towers be a reasonable upgrade for front L/R? I'm also interested in Tekton M-Lore or Klipsch rp260 but I havent had a chance to hear either one and would have to replace my surrounds to match. On a side note I havent found much for tekton speakers in 5.1 or 7.1

theJman

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Jim
B&W, Klipsch and Tekton in the same sentence? Those 3 will have very different sound signatures. Not sure you could have picked a more diverse group then that. What lead you to winnow down your choices to those? I also noticed you're only looking for L/R, yet your usage is 70% HT where a center is very significant. What are you using for a center now?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I’m at a loss to determine why you can’t fill a bedroom-sized room with speakers that What HiFi described as having “huge scale and dynamics” with “deep, rich bass.” I’ve had no trouble filling a 9,000 cu. ft. room with similar speakers. But if you really feel it’s the speakers, you’ll have to upgrade higher than the 684, as B&W’s maximum power recommendation for it is only 50 watts more than the 685. Sounds like what you need is more output for the watts - in that case Klipsch is the ticket.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
I’m at a loss to determine why you can’t fill a bedroom-sized room with speakers that What HiFi described as having “huge scale and dynamics” with “deep, rich bass.” I’ve had no trouble filling a 9,000 cu. ft. room with similar speakers. But if you really feel it’s the speakers, you’ll have to upgrade higher than the 684, as B&W’s maximum power recommendation for it is only 50 watts more than the 685. Sounds like what you need is more output for the watts - in that case Klipsch is the ticket.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
They sound nice but they don't have much headroom for cinema. I was watching wonder woman with my receiver at about 62 and I blew the mids. After replacing the drivers I want to step up to small towers for the mains. The tekton and klipsch definitely excel in efficiency.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
They sound nice but they don't have much headroom for cinema. I was watching wonder woman with my receiver at about 62 and I blew the mids. After replacing the drivers I want to step up to small towers for the mains. The tekton and klipsch definitely excel in efficiency.

Sounds like maybe you actually need better amplification instead.

What are you using for amplification?

Also, what are you using for subwoofer (and do you have everything set up properly so you're not giving too much to those front L/R channels to do)? That could potentially be the problem as well.

_Man_

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
B&W, Klipsch and Tekton in the same sentence? Those 3 will have very different sound signatures. Not sure you could have picked a more diverse group then that. What lead you to winnow down your choices to those? I also noticed you're only looking for L/R, yet your usage is 70% HT where a center is very significant. What are you using for a center now?
After about 4mo of reviews it sounds like they have the best price/performance for around $1k. The 684s2 would be a logical next step from the 685 but B&W aren't very efficient. The paradigm monitor and older klipsch I listened to were too sharp and klipsch reference I listened to at BB (non-magnolia) were too chesty. Right now i have one of my 686 as a center and small cubes for rear speakers. Tekton interest me because the eminence drivers will match one of my subs and the high efficiency non horn design.

Last edited:

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
After about 4mo of reviews it seams like price/performance for

After about 4mo of reviews it sounds like they have the best price/performance for around $1k. The 684s2 would be a logical next step from the 685 but B&W aren't very efficient. The paradigm monitor and older klipsch I listened to were too sharp and klipsch reference I listened to at BB (non-magnolia) were too chesty. Right now i have one of my 686 as a center and small cubes for rear speakers. Tekton interest me because the eminence drivers will match one of my subs and the high efficiency non horn design.
And 70/30 isn't the most accurate breakdown, I would say 40% Dish in stereo and surround, 30% streaming/BR in surround and 30% music

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
Sounds like maybe you actually need better amplification instead.

What are you using for amplification?

Also, what are you using for subwoofer (and do you have everything set up properly so you're not giving too much to those front L/R channels to do)? That could potentially be the problem as well.

_Man_
Denon avr x2300w, a svs pc2000 and a custom ported 12 crossed over at 80hz and mains set to small speakers

Last edited:

theJman

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Jim
Tekton interest me because the eminence drivers will match one of my subs and the high efficiency non horn design.

Your speaker drivers don't need to be from the same manufacturer as your subwoofer driver in order to achieve proper integration, so if that's your concern you needn't be worried.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Something here doesn't add up. I suggest you explore calibration and other problems before spending money on speakers that won't necessarily solve the problem. Also the PC-2000 alone should be plenty to pressurize that room. Two subs can virtually cancel each other out if you don't have them set up correctly.

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
Something here doesn't add up. I suggest you explore calibration and other problems before spending money on speakers that won't necessarily solve the problem. Also the PC-2000 alone should be plenty to pressurize that room. Two subs can virtually cancel each other out if you don't have them set up correctly.
I havent ran the Audessey room calibration yet, Ive been holding out until I get all matching speakers and and height speakers. I just used a spectrum analyzer and a multimeter to adjust the speakers. it seems like the freq response is pretty flat. eq settings are off and the bass -1/treble is +1 all speakers are set to small and xover is 80hz main and 100hz for surround and center.

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
How do you use a spectrum analyzer and a multi-meter to adjust speakers????
Sorry an spl meter, I tried to get about 80 db from ea channel at about a foot. Since I used my phone it's probably not the most accurate. Then a flat freq response using the spectrum analyser app from 25hz to 15khz

Last edited:

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
If I can replace the mid bass drivers, get a proper center channel and get the full theater experience Id be happy with that. I just feel like I'm not utilizing the space with bookshelf speakers for front L/R. I have an older receiver and a 2nd living area, I could get towers and build another sub for music only in that room. Any suggestions on what direction to go?

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
Sorry an spl meter, I tried to get about 80 db from ea channel at about a foot. Since I used my phone it's probably not the most accurate. Then a flat freq response using the spectrum analyser app from 25hz to 15khz

Attachments

• 20180219_145537.png
    20180219_145537.png
    281.5 KB · Views: 57

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It is pointless measuring from 1 foot. Your room colors the sound dramatically. Measurements should be taken from your primary listening position (and not with phone).

Try Audyssey and see how you like it. There's a very old guide in my signature that should be good enough to get you started. At least you will get the volume of you speakers properly balanced.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Also, if you really want to measurements, check out Room EQ Wizard. It is free and works very well. You will have to invest in a decent microphone ($70-100).

Edit to add one more thing. A "flat" response may not be what you want. And you will never see a completely flat line on any graph. You could spend many thousands on speakers and room treatments and not achieve it. And even if you get close, it will be only for one seat. The goal is to fix obvious holes and then forget about the graph and just enjoy the movies.

Good luck.

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
Tha
Also, if you really want to measurements, check out Room EQ Wizard. It is free and works very well. You will have to invest in a decent microphone ($70-100).

Edit to add one more thing. A "flat" response may not be what you want. And you will never see a completely flat line on any graph. You could spend many thousands on speakers and room treatments and not achieve it. And even if you get close, it will be only for one seat. The goal is to fix obvious holes and then forget about the graph and just enjoy the movies.

Good luck.
Thanks, sounds like I have homework cut out for me

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
One thing. If you really can easily afford a 2nd system for a 2nd room just for music listening, that might indeed yield best results. In that case, I would suggest going for good full range speakers w/out sub... unless you're into hirez surround audio *and* listen to plenty of bass heavy music.

You might consider going for a well cared for, used pair of full range speakers.

Even if you don't go for a separate system for music, you might still wanna consider going the used route for upgrade. Maybe something like a used pair of Vandersteen 2Ce Signature Edition perhaps... or used pair of JohnR's fave Thiel CS3.6 -- not sure how much they go for now. IF Vandersteen, you could probably also find a matching used center as well -- and I'm sure JohnR can recommend likewise for his fave Thiels.

IF you really want substantially greater output, I guess you may need to consider more efficient options that probably use horn tweeters or similar. That's up to you.

IF you find a need to upgrade your amplification, maybe consider going w/ a beefier power amp perhaps just for the front channels and just use your Denon AVR for the other channels plus pre-out for the front channels. It's possible you're pushing the front channels just enough to clip and cause damage to drivers... although I would've expected better from Denon... but maybe you're really pushing them that much in some specific instances...

But yeah, get your system set up properly first before deciding what to do next about potential upgrades...

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Vandersteens are great. You can sometimes find the Thiel 3.6 used for around $1.5K. The issue with both of those is they aren't efficient. Great speakers, but you need outrageous power. To match the Thiels you might find a used SCS 3/4, or I ended up using an Elac Uni-Fi UC5, and with a little EQ it blends in quite well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks