What's new

Top 10 favourite 80s films that haven't been released in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Konstantinos said:
Krull (1983) On Golden Pond
Spacehunter: Adventures in the forbidden zone (1983)
Supergirl (1984)
The Philadelphia Experiment (1984)
Explorers (1985)
Return to oz (1985)
Spacecamp (1986)
Maurice (1987)
Abyss (1989)
Always (1989) King Solomon's Mines/Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold
Since in my original list 2 films are coming (although i really fear for the quality of Krull) I wanted to substitute them with:

On Golden Pond
King Solomon's Mines/Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold (ok, i cheated and take this as one :P )

Steen DK

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steen
Dear the BBC,

Why oh why oh why can't we have The Hitcher on blu-ray? The wretched remake has been released, but the original classic with Rutger Hauer's immortal performance is a no-show. Such a beautiful movie too.

Yours,

Colonel Arthur Binkers (Mrs.)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Steen DK said:
Dear the BBC,

Why oh why oh why can't we have The Hitcher on blu-ray? The wretched remake has been released, but the original classic with Rutger Hauer's immortal performance is a no-show. Such a beautiful movie too.

Yours,

Colonel Arthur Binkers (Mrs.)
What's the BBC got to do with The Hitcher. ?

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"The wretched remake"That was actually good! And looked good on HD DVD. Is it released on BD?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I've been inspired by the listings here. Keep in mind I was a teen in the 80s and my list reflects the movies I liked at the time (and would buy in a heartbeat if available):

Top Secret
She's Having a Baby
Dr. Detroit
Midnight Run
Real Men (Thanks Neil)
Runaway
Cloak & Dagger (Just watched this with my kids)
Ice Pirates
Working Girl
Real Genius (was this 80s)

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Konstantinos said:
Since in my original list 2 films are coming (although i really fear for the quality of Krull) I wanted to substitute them with:

On Golden Pond
King Solomon's Mines/Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold (ok, i cheated and take this as one :P )
ITC has licensed "On Golden Pond" to Shout Factory and they'll be releasing it late this year on blu-ray...

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Here's a Burt Reynolds flick from 1981 that just about everybody (probably including Burt Reynolds) has forgotten about:

Paternity (1981)

From Amazon:
By Eric C. Keen on December 16, 2005
Format: VHS TapeThis is one of Burt Reynolds best from the 80's. Also starring Beverly D'Angelo in one of her best comedic roles, "Paternity" is a very funny, warm movie that SHOULD be out on DVD so I can replace my VHS that is 20 years old. Burt is having a mid-life crisis and decides that he wants a son, but being the solid bachelor that he is, doesn't want a wife to go along. He decides to pay Beverly $50,000 to be his surrogate mother and have his son. A lot of funny moments and a great cast of co-stars make this a movie that you can watch over and over again.

Attachments

• Paternity_Movie.jpg
    Paternity_Movie.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 83

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Kyrsten Brad said:
Here's a Burt Reynolds flick from 1981 that just about everybody (probably including Burt Reynolds) has forgotten about:

Paternity (1981)

From Amazon:
By Eric C. Keen on December 16, 2005
Format: VHS TapeThis is one of Burt Reynolds best from the 80's. Also starring Beverly D'Angelo in one of her best comedic roles, "Paternity" is a very funny, warm movie that SHOULD be out on DVD so I can replace my VHS that is 20 years old. Burt is having a mid-life crisis and decides that he wants a son, but being the solid bachelor that he is, doesn't want a wife to go along. He decides to pay Beverly $50,000 to be his surrogate mother and have his son. A lot of funny moments and a great cast of co-stars make this a movie that you can watch over and over again.
Forgot the blarsted poster:
View attachment 12067

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I didn't see if this one had yet been mentioned but I'll give it a entry here:

A Night In Heaven (1983): Caught this one on where else, late night cable TV back in 1983-1984. Very interesting to see Christopher Atkins (minus the curly blonde locks) from The Blue Lagoon in a follow up role. And of course the gorgeous Lesley Anne Warren (two decades after her Cinderella performance at age 18). Would love to see this on a Blu.
It was also my first exposure to the Bryan Adams song "Heaven" which a year and a half later would soar to #1 on the AT40 charts.
20th Century Fox holds the rights. A OOP DVD is available on Amazon, current price as of this writing, $67.00. (What are they, nuts??)

ANightInHeaven_1983.jpg

From Wiki:
Outspoken and overconfident Rick Monroe is a jock and a popular guy in college in Titusville, Florida. At the end of his final report for his class, Rick cracks a joke and his prim and proper speech professor, Faye Hanlon, is not amused. After chiding him for his joke, she decides to fail him and make him take the course over again.
Faye is going through a slump in her marriage to Whitney Hanlon, a rocket scientist who has just lost his job. Faye's free-spirited sister Patsy, visiting from Chicago, takes her to a strip club to cheer her up. The show features a performer called "Ricky the Rocket," who is none other than Faye's student Rick. When he notices Faye in the crowd, he gives her a very special lap dance, kissing her in the process.
The next day, Faye and Rick run into each other at a school function. Initially, Rick is interested only in convincing Faye to allow him another chance at his final and is rebuffed. He realizes that she is attracted to him and begins flirting.Faye arranges to meet Patsy near her hotel, only to discover that she has been tricked into seeing another performance by "Ricky the Rocket."
Since Patsy has to return home a day early, she turns over use of her hotel room to Faye, who calls Whitney and lies that she and Patsy are staying at Patsy's hotel together. Coincidentally, Rick's mother works in the same hotel, and while visiting his mother, Rick runs into Faye again; they return to Faye's room and have sex. Faye must leave and in her absence, Rick invites his girlfriend Slick to the room where she has sex with him as well. Faye catches them in the shower and, humiliated, flees; she realizes that she has been had.
Whitney, returning home from an unsuccessful job interview, discovers that Patsy has gone home. Whitney travels to the hotel, where he catches Rick as the latter is exiting. He kidnaps Rick at gunpoint, takes Rick to a boat at a small dock, and forces him to strip. Rick, sobbing, complies. Whitney threatens Rick repeatedly, but ultimately only shoots holes in the boat, leaving a naked Rick aboard as it sinks.
Faye returns home to find Whitney waiting for her; she apologizes and he forgives her. At the end, the couple talk about their problems and resolve them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks