What's new

Top 10 favourite 80s films that haven't been released in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I was about to reply before your edit...

Would imagine it is based on the fact that Runaway Train (also
from Arrow) was.

I am surprised you don't have a cheap multi-region Blu-ray player, Steve.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"Working Girl"Damn, Sigourney was so hot in this one. At least that's how I felt at the time. :)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Ronald Epstein said:

from Arrow) was.

I have the Oppo region mod kit, but it is upstairs with my home theater and I am unable to climb the stairs to get to it. Maybe I will get someone to help me move the Oppo downstairs. I sure would like to see Remo again in high-def (saw it once on MGMHD, looked great).

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Having trouble thinking of 80's movies and most of what I can think of is out on Blu-Ray already like Funny Farm with Chevy Chase

So I'll just list the first one that came to mind. I'd like to see 'The Night They Saved Christmas' be remastered and released on Blu-Ray.

Edit: And I'd like to see 'Boy Voyage, Charlie Brown' and the followup tv special be released.

And I like Baby Boom, surprised that one isn't already out.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Ronald Epstein said:

from Arrow) was.

Hi Ron:
Glad you brought this up. This coming Christmas season, I'll be going region-free. Currently looking at the Sony BDP-S6200 region-free (from Bombay Electronics) which is what I think you mean't by "cheap" but got word that Sony is releasing a Model 7200. Plus I heard that the Sony S790 is a real great RF blu but seems to lack PAL ability.
My budget won't let me go for a $1200 Oppo (wish I could) but the wife keeps saying something about "groceries" that we have to have or something. That and next years cruise vacation. (Hey I got the 70 TV this past year and the 47" Vizio M-series is on its way for my birthday in July for our bedroom).

Anyway thought I'd chime in on this.

Back to the 80s Blu Wish List. Ditto for:

Firestarter (1984)
No Way Out (1987) and I think there was another NWO (original?) back in the day.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have the Oppo region mod kit, but it is upstairs with my home theater and I am unable to climb the stairs to get to it. Maybe I will get someone to help me move the Oppo downstairs.
Steve, sounds like it may be worth the effort. Wish I was close to help.
I'll be going region-free. Currently looking at the Sony BDP-S6200 region-free (from Bombay Electronics)
Brad, didn't mean to imply you had to buy an Oppo. My Oppo is $500 and I bought a mod kit.
Your plan to buy an region free Sony sounds like a good one and looking at the price, it is
not very expensive.

jauritt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay Auritt
Jari K said:
"Working Girl"Damn, Sigourney was so hot in this one. At least that's how I felt at the time. :)
If they do put Working Girl on BD, I hope they fix the scene where Melanie Griffith wakes up the next morning (after getting bombed the night before on a combination of Tequila and Valium) in Harrison Ford's bed. As she's sneaking out, the alarm goes off which makes her quicken her exit...on the DVD, they left out the sound of the alarm.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Here's two more for the 1980s Blu-ray wish list.

Runaway (1984): Featuring our Magnum PI hero Tom Selleck in a early 1980s role along with a then-gorgeous Kirstie Alley (whom Tom's character falls head over heels for). But best of all IMHO is the villan played smashingly by KISS frontman Gene Simmons. Outstanding.
From Wiki: Runaway is a 1984 science fiction action film starring Tom Selleck, Gene Simmons, Cynthia Rhodes and features Kirstie Alley in one of her early roles. The film was written and directed by Michael Crichton. Jerry Goldsmith composed the original musical score, which was the composer's first all-electronic soundtrack. The film was marketed with the tagline "It is the future. Machines intended to do our work are programmed to turn against us. Someone must stop the madman who started it all." Gene Simmons wrote music for the album Animalize with KISS while participating in this film.[citation needed]
With a multi-million dollar budget, big-name actors and a world-famous author as both writer and director, Runaway was planned as 1984's major science fiction draw. However, it was overshadowed by James Cameron's blockbuster The Terminator, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, and 2010: The Year We Make Contact, and the film was a box office disappointment.
Tom Selleck starred in the film during interseason of Magnum, P.I.

Cloak and Dagger (1984): This is a 1980s remake of a 1949 film The Window which I find confusing because there was also a late 1940s era film called Cloak and Dagger so I don't really know yet. Now combing the net to get an answer.
From Amazon.com: Davey Osborne is an imaginative youngster who loves role-playing games, and who often enlists the aid of his best friend, an imaginary super-spy named Jack Flack. One day he witnesses a real murder of an FBI agent who passes a videogame called "Cloak & Dagger" to him before he dies. When the police come, the body is gone, and no one will believe him, including his father, Col. Hal Osborne. Soon Davey finds himself up to his neck in hairbreadth escapes, real bullets, and slam-bang action as the hitmen close in. Can Jack save him before time runs out? Cloak & Dagger stars Henry Thomas of E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, Dabney Coleman in a dual role of Jack and Davey's father, and Michael Murphy.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Can't believe no-one has mentioned Real Men (Jim Belushi, John Ritter). I would snap that up in a heartbeat!

Albert71292

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Sims
I'd like to see the 1980 comedy "Foolin' Around" released, with Gary Busey, Annette O'Toole, Eddie Albert, Tony Randall, and Cloris Leachman.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's ever been released on DVD either. I have an old VHS copy I probably need to transfer to DVD sometime soon.

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
The film with my all time favorite ending.

fandango-movie-poster-1985-1020192779.jpg

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
brioni said:
One I forgot:
No Way Out (1987)
No Way Out (1987): From Brad: Oh my was Sean Young ever smokin hot in this film. And the plot just mesmerized you to the surprising ending.
Have the DVD. Definitely would like a Blu.

From IMDB: Tom Farrell is a navy officer who gets posted at the Pentagon and is to report to the secretary of defense David Brice. He starts an affair with Susan Atwell not knowing that she is Brice's mistress. When Susan is found dead, Tom is assigned to the case of finding the killer who is believed to be a KGB mole! Tom could soon become a suspect when a Polaroid negative of him was found at Susan's place. He now has only a few hours to find the killer before the computer regenerates the photo.

From Wiki: The film is a remake of 1948's The Big Clock; both films are based on Kenneth Fearing's 1946 novel The Big Clock. Filming locations included Baltimore, Annapolis, Arlington, Washington, D.C., and Auckland, New Zealand. The film features original music by the Academy Award-winning Maurice Jarre.

Brad: Oh and after reading the link for The Big Clock, would love to see that out on Blu as well. Especially with appearances by Ray Milland (whom I remember as the President in the original 1978 Battlestar Galactica) and Harry Morgan.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"No Way Out (1987): Oh my was Sean Young ever smokin hot in this film."Yeah, Young was kinda special, wasn't she? Too bad that her career just took a nosedive. A bit similar to what happened Penelope Ann Miller later. They were kinda difficult to work with, I guess.No Way Out was one of my favourite films when I was younger. Great, great film.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Jari K said:
"No Way Out (1987): Oh my was Sean Young ever smokin hot in this film."Yeah, Young was kinda special, wasn't she? Too bad that her career just took a nosedive. A bit similar to what happened Penelope Ann Miller later. They were kinda difficult to work with, I guess.No Way Out was one of my favourite films when I was younger. Great, great film.
It was on BBC One HD last week, the transfer looked a bit sharpened.

As for Arrow and releases like Remo Williams, they seem to keep their price, bit like Disney releases, i keep hoping the price falls but everytime i look the price remains the same, maybe when Amazon have their Black Friday deals later in the year i can pick up a few cheaper.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
Many of the below are available via iTunes, Vudu etc. in HD, but Blu Ray remains elusive:

Ordinary People

On Golden Pond. With the recent releases of other ITC films on Blu Ray such as Voyage of the Damned and Sophie's Choice, fingers crossed that this is in the pipeline for Blu Ray release.

Ragtime

Atlantic City

Pennies From Heaven

The Four Seasons

Shoot the Moon

Missing

Only When I Laugh

Three from Blake Edwards: Victor/Victoria, S.O.B. and That's Life

The Pirates of Penzance

All of Me. BTW, does anyone know what happened to this Steve Martin/Lily Tomlin hit from 1984? Picture quality was terrible when it was shown on TCM a year or two ago (the source used for the TCM showing resembled a worn copy of a film in the public domain, it was that bad), and the picture quality of the iTunes version--SD only--is shoddy as well.

Prizzi's Honor

Diner

The Abyss

The Fabulous Baker Boys

I have copies of the Blu Rays released in Europe of The Elephant Man, Tootsie and Witness (the latter was just released) and recommend each of them.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Erik_H said:
Many of the below are available via iTunes, Vudu etc. in HD, but Blu Ray remains elusive:

Ordinary People

On Golden Pond. With the recent releases of other ITC films on Blu Ray such as Voyage of the Damned and Sophie's Choice, fingers crossed that this is in the pipeline for Blu Ray release.

Ragtime

Atlantic City

Pennies From Heaven

The Four Seasons

Shoot the Moon

Missing

Only When I Laugh

Three from Blake Edwards: Victor/Victoria, S.O.B. and That's Life

The Pirates of Penzance

All of Me. BTW, does anyone know what happened to this Steve Martin/Lily Tomlin hit from 1984? Picture quality was terrible when it was shown on TCM a year or two ago (the source used for the TCM showing resembled a worn copy of a film in the public domain, it was that bad), and the picture quality of the iTunes version--SD only--is shoddy as well.

Prizzi's Honor

Diner

The Abyss

The Fabulous Baker Boys

I have copies of the Blu Rays released in Europe of The Elephant Man, Tootsie and Witness (the latter was just released) and recommend each of them.
"On Golden Pond" was one of the titles specifically announced for definite blu-ray release by Shout Factory on their press release trumpeting their ITC licensing agreement. "The Abyss" is being released in the latter half of this year by Fox as a 25th Anniversary blu-ray, along with a 20th Anniversary blu-ray of "True Lies"...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks