Titanic vs. L.A. Confidential for Best Picture 1997

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_D, Oct 6, 2001.

1. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

At the time, I was really disappointed that L.A. Confidential didn't win the top prize. I still think its a much, much better film that Titanic. But with more time to reflect, and after thinking about which other films have won, before and after 1997, I think Titanic was far more significant than L.A.Confidential, socially, culturally and financially. These are what determine a Best Picture winner. It doesn't matter that LAC was a (much) more artistically significant film. Its customary for films of this nature to get a nomination, but ultimately Hollywood is about money, and the awards handed out are reflective of that purpose. In that regard Titanic was the rightful winner, and thoroughy deserved it!

2. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Paul,
    I must disagree. I do feel, quite strongly, that Titanic deserved the Oscar. I also feel that LAC is one of the best movies I ever saw, and almost any other year, it would have won. I also disagree that LAC is more artistic. Titanic was a towering achievement in every technical way, including narrative. LAC was an incredible script (adapted from an incredible author) perfectly realized. The notion that the Oscar is fueled by money is fairly ridiculous. Instead of citing numerous examples, I will agree that Oscars are based on sentiment and, as said before, "noble purpose." I wish more people had seen LAC. I wish they had an Ensemble Acting award or that the actors had been nominated. But the better movie won this year, in my opinion. I know many of this forum disagree, as well as several critics, but Titanic was a much more challenging cinematic effort. Thanks for listening.
    Sincerely,
    Chuck

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Well, I see no contest quality-wise. L.A. Confidential, flaws notwithstanding, is a much, much better film than the Cameron thing.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

4. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

No disrespect to Jim Cameron's movie, but I've always felt that "L.A. Confidential" was the best movie of 1997. "Titanic" was a monumental acheivement, but "L.A. Confidential", in my opinion, had much stronger performances, as well as a stronger narrative.
    Hollywood loves to honor films of the caliber of "Titanic", which is why no one was surprised it won. I mean people were calling it "Gone With the Wind at Sea" that year, while "L.A. Confidential" was seen as this generation's "Chinatown".
    "L.A. Confidential" also has the dubious honor of being the only film ever to sweep all of the major critics' awards, but fail to win the Best Picture Oscar.

5. Gilbert Galindo

Gilbert Galindo Stunt Coordinator

My favorite film of 1997 was Jackie Brown.

6. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

7. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I felt L.A. Confidential should have won among the nominees for 1998, but The Sweet Hereafter was the best movie of that year.
    ~T

8. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    Sweet Hereafter was a 1997 film

9. David Ren

David Ren Stunt Coordinator

I think what he's trying to say is LA Confidential should've won if nominated in 1998, but Sweet Hereafter is the best film of 1997.
    Dave

10. Rain

Rain Producer

What Jack said.
    Titanic sucks. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    "Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
    Anyone in the Vancouver Canada area interested in a meet? Click here
    MOVING ON DOES NOT MEAN FORGETTING.

11. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I was talking about the 1998 Academy Award year.
    ~T

12. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

Here's another vote for LA Confidential, for the reasons already cited.

13. JustinS

JustinS Agent

Titanic really was an achievement, to be sure, and I was not at all surprised that it won. Of course, it also features some remarkably lackluster performances from its two leads and some sadly one-dimensional characters. I honestly enjoyed it the first time I saw it. However, it really nosedives on subsequent viewings, its flaws becoming more and more glaring and, ultimately, annoying.

14. andreasingo

andreasingo Stunt Coordinator

I have only seen L.A Confidential once but Titanic several times so I may be biased, don't know.
    Technically and visually speaking there's no argument. Titanic's wins for cinemathography, art direction, direction, visual effects, sound effects editing and so on were very deserved. Hell, I think it's the best movie ever in those categories.
    In terms of script I think both Titanic and L.A confidential was strong but L.A confidential was a bit stronger.
    Acting. Kate Winslet was great in Titanic but the ensemble cast in L.A confidential were incredible. No contest here.
    Best picture. Very hard to say. I was blown away of Titanic the first time I saw it. I appreciate it even more the next time. It's one of my all time favourites because of the impact this movie have on me every time I see it. I need to see L.A confidential more times I guess. Right now my nod would go to Titanic.

15. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

Titanic?...Chuckle, Chuckle...
    LA Confidential. No doubt.
    Brian
    ------------------
    Zed's Dead Baby...

16. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

I believe L.A. Confidential should have won Best Picture. I also believe it's cinematography was far superior to Titanic.
    ------------------
    My DVD Library
    Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

17. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

1997 was a good year... Boogie Nights, Contact, The Sweet Hereafter, Good Will Hunting, ...
    But between L.A. Confidential and Titanic, I would choose L.A. Confidential. Winning "Best Screenplay" wasn't enough...
    But, seeing James Cameron embarrass himself by screaming "I'm king of the world!" was worth the loss. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005780-2.html
    MY TOP 20 OF 2001

18. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

I agree that "L.A Confidential" should have won over "Titanic". It was superior where it counts.....in the story!! The acting was far better as well.I bought a copy of "L.A Confidential" for my collection. I have yet to buy "Titanic" and doubt I ever will.
    ------------------

19. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Titanic didn't even have the best visual effects I've ever seen. My god! When the ship was at sea it was the most patently CGI-ish creation next to all of Phantom Menace. The special effects in 2001: A Space Odyssey and ~70-80% of the SFX in Cameron's own Aliens, T2, and The Abyss looked much better.
    Did Cameron and Digital Domain ever hear of traveling live action digital mattes and rotoscoping for the people walking and interacting on the ship during the medium and long shots (they did this in the opening scene of the The Mummy with no CGI actors used)??
    It was completely fake except for the real exterior and interior shots, which were indeed lavish (however some historical artwork mistakes were made because Cameron must have watched A Night To Remember that had the same gaffes). The best effects were the live action, underwater photography of the actual Titanic graveyard, and some of the scenes of the sinking.
    The acting and script were as wooden as the bow planking. Totally uninspired.
    Yes, Kate Winslet was pure eye candy (va va va voom!!), but she didn't even try to emote like she is capable of in this film.
    It was like watching two 90's vacuous teenagers teleported to the early 1900's for the amount of believability it had.
    Between the two L.A. Confidential, storywise and acting-wise, seems like Citizen Kane in comparison. I can't say it should have won the Oscar as I didn't get a chance to see all the other nominations, but Titanic should not have. That much I'm certain of.
    Dan
    ------------------
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

20. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

Is this a serious question? I guess I'll treat it as such.
    Titanic was inferior to L.A. Confidential in EVERY area. That said, I'm not at all surprised that Titanic won the Oscar, as most Oscar winning films are quite mediocre.
    ------------------
    "Home is where the theater is!"