What's new

Titanic (1997) (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I don't think it's a romance story. To me, what it's about is how a person's life can be completely changed because of one chance encounter. The most significant image in the entire film is the array of photos that Old Rose kept on her nightstand.

I'd say it's both... and even the life-changing aspect is really a very sentimental/romantic narrative...

_Man_

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Two things I noticed about that poster:

1) Although the film played for several months into 1998, technically the 25th anniversary of Titanic was in December 1997. I assume the re-release is a couple months late because they did not want to have this reissue competing with the other James Cameron epic which is currently dominating the box office.

2) "Remastered in 4K 3D" is a potential dealbreaker or me. I respect Cameron's preference for 3D with Avatar because he shot it that way. I don't like it, and I won't go to it, but I respect why he feels that way. But Titanic is a 2D film, so I think it is wrong to make it available exclusively as a conversion. Last time it was reissued in 2012 fro the 100th anniversary of the actual ship sinking, Cameron said in press interviews that 2D screenings would also be available for those who wanted to see it that way. I don't remember where he said this, but I remember that he said it because I got excited about it. Then the movie came out and there as not a single screening in 2D anywhere near me at all. I looked.

I was too young to see Titanic in theaters during its original release. I would very much like to do so now. But 3D does not work for me and I will not go see it unless 2D is an option.

Avatar is available here in 2D, but the premium screen is all 3D all day long. I understand it for that movie. But I really hope there is a premium screening option for Titanic in 2D. That poster does not inspire confidence. We'll see.

Last edited:

YANG

Screenwriter
i don't think i'll watch this in cinema when V'Day comes. unless... it's a alternate version re-edit with additional or lesser scenes that's totally different from the 3 disc DVD set i've just played few weeks ago...

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
because the 3D conversion of Titanic is breathtaking. I still am babying my 3D set
To be clear, I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with releasing a 3D conversion of Titanic. If some people want to watch it that way, great. I won't begrudge anyone their enjoyment just because it doesn't work for me.

I think it is wrong to release it exclusively in 3D, as was the case the last time it came out. It is and was originally created to be a 2D film. The 3D conversion can add value for those who want it, but that should not be the only way to see it. There should be an option in any theatrical re-release to see the film as it was originally created.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
i don't think i'll watch this in cinema when V'Day comes. unless... it's a alternate version re-edit with additional or lesser scenes that's totally different from the 3 disc DVD set i've just played few weeks ago...
Huh? That makes absolutely zero sense. :laugh:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I was too young to see Titanic in theaters during its original release. I would very much like to do so now. But 3D does not work for me and I will not go see it unless 2D is an option.

Same here. I'd love to see it again on the big screen (I saw it at least three times during its original release), but only in 2D. I did go to see it in 3D when that version was released, but -- with all due respect to Terry -- I didn't think the 3D worked. If I recall correctly, there were a couple of scenes where I think it worked (though I can't recall which ones they were), but mostly, I didn't like the 3D conversion.

On edit: Based on post #229 below, I should amend that to "with all due respect to Terry and Tino". :thumbs-up-smiley:

On second edit: Forgot to mention that the other problem I have with this re-release is that they're adding HFR.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Same here. I'd love to see it again on the big screen (I saw it at least three times during its original release), but only in 2D. I did go to see it in 3D when that version was released, but -- with all due respect to Terry -- I didn't think the 3D worked. If I recall correctly, there were a couple of scenes where I think it worked (though I can't recall which ones they were), but mostly, I didn't like the 3D conversion.

How big a screen did you see it in 3D? Wonder if that makes quite that much diff.

I've never seen it in 3D before even though I actually own the 3D BD set (and my main HT display has actually been 3D capable since before the format's advent), so I'm debating about seeing this at the AMC Lincoln Square IMAX in Manhattan -- you can't get any bigger than that here in North America. But maybe I'm better off just saving the cost of that ticket toward finally getting a pair of 3D glasses for home use (w/ my 120" FP setup) instead -- if only I can finally also get a copy of Avatar 3D, LOL, after forgetting to send in my rebate (from a Panny player purchase) for a free copy during the early days of the format... :lol:

I should add I haven't generally been a fan of 3D, which is why I still don't have 3D glasses for my HT, but I was impressed w/ the 3D in (and felt it added enough to) the 2 Avatar films (in IMAX 3D at the AMC Lincoln Square) -- I also haven't seen Gravity in 3D (another much raved-about 3D film) and do not own that 3D BD... though I do own a handful of other 3D BDs (mostly just because they didn't cost much more than the regular BDs when I bought).

_Man_

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I am a little confused about 4K and 3D. I thought they can't do a 3D 4K disc for home viewing but they can apparently can do 4K 3D for a movie theater showing?

I wish there were reviews of individual theaters that stated how bright the 3D image was. My problem with 3D is how dark the picture appears with the glasses on.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
On second edit: Forgot to mention that the other problem I have with this re-release is that they're adding HFR.
I noted that too and was trying to figure out how that would even work: It was shot on film at 24fps, so where are all of the additional frames going to come from? Will they just turn on all of those obnoxious smooth-motion settings like the TVs have when they are on display at Best Buy? If so, hard pass.

I saw the 3D IMAX HFR version of Avatar 2, and HFR remains a gimmick that just doesn't work for me. It was the one aspect of the movie that pulled me out of the experience every time I noticed it.

Last edited:

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
1) Although the film played for several months into 1998, technically the 25th anniversary of Titanic was in December 1997. I assume the re-release is a couple months late because they did not want to have this reissue competing with the other James Cameron epic which is currently dominating the box office.

That may be true, but also Valentine's Day weekend in 1998 gave Titanic one if it's biggest box office increases in week 9 than it had been seeing to that point. It jumped a whopping 22.3% that weekend. So the romance story aspect of the film was most likely playing out that weekend. Maybe they figure it might play out again this time.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I love both Titanic and Good Will Hunting, and am glad Titanic won Best Picture. But if I recall correctly, back then there was more chatter in support of L.A. Confidential (another excellent film) to win Best Picture over Titanic, rather than GWH over Titanic.

That year I liked all 5 Oscar nominees for Best Picture, and saw all of them in theaters more than once. As Good as It Gets, The Full Monty, Good Will Hunting, L.A. Confidential and Titanic. All of them won Oscars, too. I've never liked all the Best Picture nominees each year before or since, especially with 10 nominees.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I saw the 3D IMAX HFR version of Avatar 2, and HFR remains a gimmick that just doesn't work.
I don’t think it’s a gimmick at all and thought the HFR worked spectacularly well in Avatar. Different strokes…….;)

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Never really saw the appeal. I watched it once due to all the hype surrounding it. I thought it.was disappointing in all aspects other than the sinking of the ship. A good movie about the events of the ship sinking was totally ruined by a maudlin, cheesy, unlikely romance story. The added gunplay actually irritated me.

I don't think it's a romance story. To me, what it's about is how a person's life can be completely changed because of one chance encounter. The most significant image in the entire film is the array of photos that Old Rose kept on her nightstand.

Just like the consequences for the chance encounter with the person that loses his ticket to Jack in the poker game and so does not make it onto the ship.

The main character of Titanic is the Titanic. What I like is that Cameron's story of someone from third class engaging with someone from first class allows them to travel the different parts of the ocean liner that we come to see and know and so when it strikes the iceberg (is injured) we feel for the ensuing events where this astounding creation is destroyed, whether or not viewers are also invested in the characters we've come to know on board. All the better if they are.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I don’t think it’s a gimmick at all and thought the HFR worked spectacularly well in Avatar. Different strokes…….;)
I've amended my post to say "HFR remains a gimmick that just doesn't work for me."

I will stand by my statement that HFR is a gimmick*, however, just like 3D, DBOX, 4DX, ATMOS, IMAX, Dolby Vision, CinemaScope, Odorama, Percepto, reclining seats, etc. are all gimmicks, applied to movies in order to sway ticket buyers pay more to attend a screening in that format or theatrical venue. Some gimmicks may add more value to the experience than others, but they are all still gimmicks.

*gim·mick (n): a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I've amended my post to say "HFR remains a gimmick that just doesn't work for me."

I will stand by my statement that HFR is a gimmick*, however, just like 3D, DBOX, 4DX, ATMOS, IMAX, Dolby Vision, CinemaScope, Odorama, Percepto, reclining seats, etc. are all gimmicks, applied to movies in order to sway ticket buyers pay more to attend a screening in that format or theatrical venue. Some gimmicks may add more value to the experience than others, but they are all still gimmicks.

*gim·mick (n): a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.
Ya see I don’t think many of those are gimmicks at all. They are meant to enhance the movie, or moviegoing experience. Not “trick” the audience. I think “gimmick” is just the wrong word.

In my opinion. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks