What's new

Titanic (1997) (1 Viewer)

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
:laugh:
That much???
I think pretty much everyone underestimated Titanic’s box office, since $600m domestic was unheard of! Heck, even $500m was unheard of! I think the highest domestic grossers when Titanic was released were Star Wars (around $430m, not including Special Edition) and ET (about $400m).

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I love James Horner's music combined with James Cameron's mastery of action in this crucial scene. The title of the musical composition is "Hard to Starboard." Every performance is also spot on.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think pretty much everyone underestimated Titanic’s box office, since $600m domestic was unheard of! Heck, even $500m was unheard of! I think the highest domestic grossers when Titanic was released were Star Wars (around $430m, not including Special Edition) and ET (about $400m).

Back before "Titanic" came out, estimates indicated it needed to earn $500m to break even.

My friend and I chortled about that, since no movie had ever pulled in $500m US!

(This was back when hardly anyone paid attention to international grosses and we thought almost exclusively in terms of US gross to figure profitability.)

A 3+ hour movie where we know how it ends? No way that'll be a hit! :D

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I saw this on the first day of release and the theater was packed. I have seen this movie only once.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I've seen it probably about ten times in the theater, including the various re-releases, and another ten times or so on home video.

Spielberg once said something to the effect that he's watched Lawrence of Arabia on average about once a year since it came out, meaning that he's seen it about sixty times. I've probably watched Lawrence about thirty times, which means a bit more than Titanic, but not by a lot. My first time seeing Lawrence was in 1981, so it's had a bit of a head start on Titanic.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
One of the most entertaining 3 hours films of all time!

I was dazzled by the majesty of the period and the recreation of the ship, captivated by the characters of Rose and Jack and their romance, and mesmerised and horrified by the sinking in the final hour.

While we know the ship will sink, the unknown was whether Rose and/or Jack, who we've invested the better part of 2 hours with, would survive, and that's what made the last hour so exciting!

I was transported to another time and place for 3 hours. To me, that's escapism at its best.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I have to hand it to James Cameron. He is the one filmmaker that draws me to the cinema. Even if I don't care for the film I'm watching, it is still fun, and I'm still in awe of how he "gets" the "cinematic experience".
I still have a great time.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
FmHvgpfWIAIxehz

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
In 1985 I remember sitting watching Nightline where they were showing the first ever videos from Robert Ballard and his discovery of where the Titanic had sunk. It was only twelve years later that this film came out!

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
My wife and I went to the theaters back when it was re-released in 2012 and haven’t really watched it since. With all the Avatar 2 buzz and James Cameron on my mind it made us want to rewatch it and we did about a week ago. It’s a rather heavy movie so we may skip this so soon after watching it, but had I known it was coming I would have held off on a re-watch until it it hit theaters again. It’s a really great film. I know a lot of people say one or another movie should have won the Best Picture Oscar that year (Good Will Hunting) but I really think this was the better film.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
My wife and I went to the theaters back when it was re-released in 2012 and haven’t really watched it since. With all the Avatar 2 buzz and James Cameron on my mind it made us want to rewatch it and we did about a week ago. It’s a rather heavy movie so we may skip this so soon after watching it, but had I known it was coming I would have held off on a re-watch until it it hit theaters again. It’s a really great film. I know a lot of people say one or another movie should have won the Best Picture Oscar that year (Good Will Hunting) but I really think this was the better film.

I love both Titanic and Good Will Hunting, and am glad Titanic won Best Picture. But if I recall correctly, back then there was more chatter in support of L.A. Confidential (another excellent film) to win Best Picture over Titanic, rather than GWH over Titanic.

But it's been 84 years, so I could be wrong...

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Never really saw the appeal. I watched it once due to all the hype surrounding it. I thought it.was disappointing in all aspects other than the sinking of the ship. A good movie about the events of the ship sinking was totally ruined by a maudlin, cheesy, unlikely romance story. The added gunplay actually irritated me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks