What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Sound of Music on 4K Disc? (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The "children" certainly grew by the time the movie was released with Nicholas Hammond towering over the others in that Ed Sullivan clip from April 1965. Charmian Carr, who was already grown, is the only one who looks exactly like she did in the movie. Probably would have made a sequal difficult unless they picked up the story a few years later.

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
With Bob Igor in charge of disney and recent comments about resurrecting some home video physical media is there any chance we finally might see some 4K releases from the Fox library?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
With Bob Igor in charge of disney and recent comments about resurrecting some home video physical media is there any chance we finally might see some 4K releases from the Fox library?

Impossible to say.

I would cautiously say that chances are now better. It seems as if Disney is beginning to rethink their physical disc strategy. The problem is -- and I haven't looked at the numbers lately -- that the market has been in a decline with everything going to boutique labels.

However, if Disney were to test the 4k market, TSOM would be one of the most alluring choices to go with.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Iger and DiSantis are having a pissing match in front of the entire world. I kind of doubt a Julie Andrews musical is on Iger's mind.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Iger and DiSantis are having a pissing match in front of the entire world. I kind of doubt a Julie Andrews musical is on Iger's mind.
That is a subject matter for another forum and not here and has little to do with whether The Sound of Music is released on 4K/UHD!

edelweissflower

Supporter
Real Name
STEPHEN COWLEY
Interesting that Andrews is considered a Disney living treasure starring in arguably Walt's greatest film under his personal supervision and now the company owns her most successful film and probably one of the two most beloved films ever made and they do nothing with it.
I wouldn't be surprised if Bob Paycheck has no idea that they even own The Sound of Music. And he wouldn't even know The Sound of Music from Allegro.
Perhaps Disney could make a film version of the Musical 'Allegro' after all it 'Me and Juliet' & 'Pipe Dream' are three of the Rodgers & Hammerstein musicals still to be made into films.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
The film and Oklahoma (Todd-AO version) are both no longer on Disney+. And according to Mike Matessino, Disney never had full rights to begin with and went through a bit of a rush to renew those rights to include Sound of Music on the service, which makes me wonder if whatever deal they made with the R&H Organization expired.

Kruse

Auditioning
Real Name
Henning
As far as I can see "the Sound of Music" has been removed from several streaming services including Disney and Itunes, could this be an indication that "something" is going on with the movie?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
As far as I can see "the Sound of Music" has been removed from several streaming services including Disney and Itunes, could this be an indication that "something" is going on with the movie?
Something weird is happening with most of the Fox titles on iTunes - they’re no longer available for rental.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
The film and Oklahoma (Todd-AO version) are both no longer on Disney+. And according to Mike Matessino, Disney never had full rights to begin with and went through a bit of a rush to renew those rights to include Sound of Music on the service, which makes me wonder if whatever deal they made with the R&H Organization expired.

Would the rights to the 20th Century Fox film version have anything to do with the R&H organization because the film was also produced by Argyle Enterprises.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Interesting. Apparently none of the R&H musicals from 20th Century Fox are available for digital purchase anymore. I never bought any of them digitally because I was waiting for 4K, but I’ve still got the Blu-rays. I’m sure they’ll eventually come around again.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
State Fair is still available for purchase according to my iTunes digital library. The Sound of Music, Oklahoma and The King and I are still in my digital library but are not available for purchase. I don't have Carousel in my library, but it's still available for purchase at $14.99. South Pacific, which isn't in my digital library is also not available for purchase on iTunes.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Would the rights to the 20th Century Fox film version have anything to do with the R&H organization because the film was also produced by Argyle Enterprises.

Mr. Matessino didn’t mention anything about Argyle Enterprises, but indicated that the R&H Organization owned the intellectual content in the film. Here’s Mr. Matessino’s exact quote about the rights to The Sound of Music:

Disney/20th has no soundtrack album rights on this title, and actually doesn't exactly own the movie and never has. The physical elements containing the film are the studio's property, but the separate intellectual content within the movie -- the music, lyrics, choreography, etc. -- rest with R&H and is subject to a periodically renewed licensing deal. There was big scramble to renew the rights so that the movie could be on Disney Plus at the time the service launched.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Something weird is happening with most of the Fox titles on iTunes - they’re no longer available for rental.
I've been buying up some of my favourite Fox titles on iTunes just in case they are pulled from purchase next. Most of them I already own on Blu-ray, but I'd be disappointed if the disc went bad down the line and I wasn't able to purchase them physically or digitally at all...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks