What's new

The Sound of Music on 4K Disc? (1 Viewer)

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Interesting that Andrews is considered a Disney living treasure starring in arguably Walt's greatest film under his personal supervision and now the company owns her most successful film and probably one of the two most beloved films ever made and they do nothing with it.
I wouldn't be surprised if Bob Paycheck has no idea that they even own The Sound of Music. And he wouldn't even know The Sound of Music from Allegro.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I am surprised the conversation is moving iaway from the all important question will Disney bring out a 4K blu ray release?
Posted a 4k trailer a while ago. I am surprised the film has not turned up on TCM ABC hasn't aired it in a while. Getting any answers from Disney is impossible, they are just too huge.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I saw SOM in 70mm 2 years ago at the Seattle Cinerama 70mm film festival. (I so hope that event comes back someday.) The color was rich but not Technicolor style. Julie's hair color seemed more consistent than on the blu-ray.
We screened SOM for 42 weeks on our 60ft wide curved TODD-AO screen where I worked.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I always have to compensate the color timing on this disc, as the skin tones resemble various shades of "gourds". I haven't missed a theatrical release of this film since 1965, and the color is not right to me.

But any of the R&H blus look better than " The King and I".
I saw KING AND I in Grandeur 70 many times where I worked. Ah-the good old days.

Reactions: PMF

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Angela Cartwright posted this on her FB in Jan 2022

Angela Cartwright Studio is at Shutters on the Beach.​

JiaS9nu1uaonsroyet6m 16228 · Santa Monica, CA ·

A shoot for a ‘Sound Of Music’ documentary with Hannes Schaller for CW. A mini reunion with @kym_karath Always a pleasure to talk of my Sound of Music memories. #iwasbrigittavontrapp #thesoundifmusic
1647208625893.png

I asked where can we see the documentary - I do not think she answers her page fan posts - also asked 4K disc?

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Angela Cartwright posted this on her FB in Jan 2022

Angela Cartwright Studio is at Shutters on the Beach.​

JiaS9nu1uaonsroyet6m 16228 · Santa Monica, CA ·

A shoot for a ‘Sound Of Music’ documentary with Hannes Schaller for CW. A mini reunion with @kym_karath Always a pleasure to talk of my Sound of Music memories. #iwasbrigittavontrapp #thesoundifmusic View attachment 130841

I asked where can we see the documentary - I do not think she answers her page fan posts - also asked 4K disc?
She also posted this saying this was a real findf for her - they of course aired live and she has never seen it. Ed Sullivan 4/18/1965

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
They are mouthing to the prerecorded soundtrack and that uses for the most part other singers. Carr said the only time they used all their own voices was when they try to cheer themselves up after Maria has left and I think they sing The Sound of Music. Poorly.

The 40th Anniversary is quite a while ago now. A friend got to know Heather McKenzie through work and liked her a lot. She and Carr died too young.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
They are mouthing to the prerecorded soundtrack and that uses for the most part other singers. Carr said the only time they used all their own voices was when they try to cheer themselves up after Maria has left and I think they sing The Sound of Music. Poorly.

The 40th Anniversary is quite a while ago now. A friend got to know Heather McKenzie through work and liked her a lot. She and Carr died too young.
Carr was 73 when she passed this appearance was 2006 meaning she was fairly close to Ms. Andrews in age Heather Ulricht (she was married to Robert Ulricht she died at 68 he sadly died way to young too) I though wonder what documentatry Angela is working on? A new vid release for the film? Figured is was lip synced but thought they did the same as the Partridge Family "augmented by" Although on Good Morning America they sounded pretty decent.

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Carr was 73 this was 2006 meaning she was fairly close to Ms. Andrews in age Heather Ulricht (she was married to Robert Ulricht she died at 68 he sadly died way to young too) I though wonder what documentatry Angela is working on? A new vid release for the film? Figured is was lip synced but thought they did the same as the Partridge Family "augmented by" Although on Good Morning America they sounded pretty decent.
According to wikipedia Carr had said --- Charmian Carr refuted the claim that the voices of the child actors were dubbed in the film and on the soundtrack. Carr contended that all of the children who are in the film sing on the track, but four other children were added to most of the songs to give them a fuller sound, they did not replace them as singers.[44] The voices of some of the adult actors had voice doubles, including Peggy Wood and Christopher Plummer.[45]

Last edited:

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc

Heather Menzies

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Here is the review of the film from Variety, their review foreshadowed the HUGE success of the film, of course "The" Bosely Crowther and other Muckety Mucks from the Major cities trashed the film, then as the film reached every corner of the USA the cash started rolling in and still is! Rumor has it "The" Bosely Crowther's career would end with his trashing of 1968's Bonnie and Clyde. https://variety.com/1965/film/reviews/the-sound-of-music-2-1200420913/

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
According to wikipedia Carr had said --- Charmian Carr refuted the claim that the voices of the child actors were dubbed in the film and on the soundtrack. Carr contended that all of the children who are in the film sing on the track, but four other children were added to most of the songs to give them a fuller sound, they did not replace them as singers.[44] The voices of some of the adult actors had voice doubles, including Peggy Wood and Christopher Plummer.[45]
I goofed too 'Urich' apologies to the 'Urich' family

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
From trivia on the IMDb:

Duane Chase's (Kurt's) high note in the "So Long, Farewell" number was actually sung by Darleen Carr (younger sister of Charmian Carr), as that note was beyond Chase's range.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
From trivia on the IMDb:

Duane Chase's (Kurt's) high note in the "So Long, Farewell" number was actually sung by Darleen Carr (younger sister of Charmian Carr), as that note was beyond Chase's range.
Darleen Carr (who later played Karl Malden's daughter in the telly programme The Streets of San Francisco) was one of the child singers brought in to fill out the voices for the children for the pre-records according to Robert Wise.

But Marni Nixon sings for herself in this one (Peggy Wood is dubbed. I'm not sure about Anna Lee and the others)

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I’m not entirely sure, but I think Anna Lee may have been at least partially dubbed in the Maria number. The original trailer (at about 1:14) features an alternate take of the verse “Maria makes me laugh!” where she sounds slightly out of tune on the first word, while the rest of the verse sounds similar to the take used in the film. Again, I’m not entirely sure about that (for all I know, she may have taken it at a lower register for the take used), and hope wiser minds will chime in eventually.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
I’m not entirely sure, but I think Anna Lee may have been at least partially dubbed in the Maria number. The original trailer (at about 1:14) features an alternate take of the verse “Maria makes me laugh!” where she sounds slightly out of tune on the first word, while the rest of the verse sounds similar to the take used in the film. Again, I’m not entirely sure about that (for all I know, she may have taken it at a lower register for the take used), and hope wiser minds will chime in eventually.

A lot of alternates in this trailer, including falling off the boat and My Favorite Things' vocal.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
I have the fabulous 30th anniversary laserdisc box set with the gold CD, a couple of DVD versions, the 45th anniversary Target exclusive Blu-ray digibook, the 50th anniversary Blu-ray, and last weekend found the 45th anniversary box set with music box, complete and all in pristine condition, at an estate sale for $5.00. But despite the diminishing storage space would gladly acquire the 4K disc if only Disney would stop being so short sighted about managing their acquired Fox assets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks