What's new

The Official "What Speakers or Subwoofer Should I Buy" Assistance Thread (1 Viewer)

Shep6901

Auditioning
Real Name
Grant
Armsc,
I just wanted to stop in and say thanks. I bought the system you recommended and got it all set up. My dad is super happy with it. It sounds a lot better than the theatre in a box.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Armsc,
I just wanted to stop in and say thanks. I bought the system you recommended and got it all set up. My dad is super happy with it. It sounds a lot better than the theatre in a box.

You're very welcome for the help. I'm glad that everything worked out for you/ your dad. Did you go with the 381 or the 379? Did you get the Yamaha speaker set? Did you set all the speakers up?

Cooterman

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Speakers and sub

Primary Use: 25% Music, 75% TV & Movies

Desired Configuration: 5.1

Room Size: 20x14

Is the room open to other areas of your home: yes there is a breakfast bar between my living room and kitchen

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? No

What's your budget (low to high): $1500-2500

Any special requirements (Wife Acceptance)? Nope

I have considered the Klipsch rp250 5.1 system, but didn't know if anyone had any other better ideas. I am completely new to surround sound systems and would like the best bang for my buck. I know Klipsch is a very well established and quality brand and that's why I have looked at them first. I also don't really have any audio stores near me so testing them out will be hard to do as well. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Speakers and sub
Primary Use: 25% Music, 75% TV & Movies Desired Configuration: 5.1 Room Size: 20x14
Is the room open to other areas of your home: yes there is a breakfast bar between my living room and kitchen
What's your budget (low to high): $1500-2500 Any special requirements (Wife Acceptance)? Nope
I have considered the Klipsch rp250 5.1 system... Thanks.

5.1 setup (AVR, Speaker and Sub), Budget $2500 assuming AVR is separate as the RP250 is $2400, Decent sized room.

Initial thoughts are Klipsch are make sure that you like a horn tweeter before investing that much money into them. I for one find them to be harsh at times so I prefer a dome. Nothing wrong with Klipsch they are very good products just want to make sure they are what you're looking for. Your budget is high enough to get about anything you want. Here are some alternatives to the Klipsch set.

AVR - Denon X1300W $600 (or Refurb $350) or Yamaha RX-V681 $600 If you like to tweak the AVR the Denon is better if you want a simple setup and better app for you phone the Yamaha is the choice. The Denon will have a better room correction.

Speakers - Pick one (Klipsch is also an option)
  • KEF E305 $600 - Great sounding 5.1 set that is very wife friendly. The small eggs are easy to place and sound bigger than they look. Currently on sale for almost half off. You may need to upgrade the sub in the future depending on taste and room.
  • KEF Q Series $1400 (not including the sub) - Q500 mains ($700), Q 200 center ($400), Q 100 surrounds($300) and either a Q400 sub ($500) if you want to match or an SVS PB1000 ($500) if you want a better sub. You could also step down to the Q300 for the mains or even two sets of Q100 if you wanted a smaller setup. (If you wanted an upgrade go for the SVS PB2000 $800 or Rythmik LVX12 $800)
  • ELAC Uni-Fi Set $1850- ELAC's upgrade to the Debut series with the coaxial mid/tweeter setup. You just need to add in a sub, either the SVS PB1000, Rythmik LV12R $580 or the HSU VTF-1 MK3 $460 will keep you in budget. You could also do books all the way around if you wanted to for less money.
  • DefTech ProCinema 1000 $1350 - 5.1 setup with small bookshelf speakers/Large satellites that sound very good. My concern with these would be the sub but that can be upgraded later or a second matching unit can be purchased.
  • Canton GLE 5.1 $1500 - 5.1 setup with towers already included in the set.
There are other combinations/options but I think this is a good start

Shep6901

Auditioning
Real Name
Grant
You're very welcome for the help. I'm glad that everything worked out for you/ your dad. Did you go with the 381 or the 379? Did you get the Yamaha speaker set? Did you set all the speakers up?

I went with the 379 and I did get the yamaha set. I did hook them up if that is what you mean. I did use the speaker set up attachment that came with the 379. Not 100% how much it changed the settings but i did run it.

jakanala

Auditioning
Real Name
ken
What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? BOTH

Primary Use: 30% Music, 70% TV & Movies & Gaming

Desired Configuration: 5.1

Room Size: 17x12

Is the room open to other areas of your home: yes

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? No was looking at the Denon AVR6300H

What's your budget (low to high): $2500-4000 Was thinking of the Martin Logan Electromotion. Don't know.

Any special requirements (Wife Acceptance)? We Already purchased a movie screen i got brand new for a steal of a deal at Best Buy. Screen Innovations Series 5 Zero Edge 110" Slate Gray. Reg price $2800 and bought $1600. Is this a quality screen you would recommend also.

Would like to install 2 inwall speakers on each side and center channel below. We are finishing our basement and this would be considered new construction so can run wires any where without problem.

Also we have 8' ceilings.

Thanks for your response.

Last edited:

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Ken,

Am I correct in reading you want the LCR to all be in-wall? What about the rears and subwoofer?

I can give more detailed recommendations based upon your answer.

jakanala

Auditioning
Real Name
ken
Yes i would like LCR in-wall speakers. The rear speakers will be right above us on the left and right side of the 4 recliners. These two speakers will be IC speakers a little behind. They cannot be placed behind on the wall as it is against the exterior wall. We may even get 2 ATMOS speakers a little later. Any suggestions on a receiver, Denon AVR6300H? Any suggestions on a projector, was thinking of an Epson 5040UB. Your opinion on the 110in Slate Gray Screen Innovations screen?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 20170117_204018.jpg
    20170117_204018.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 93

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
The screen you have is a fine screen and will work wonderfully as long as you control light somewhat.

Regarding the in-wall speakers, I would look at Triad silver or bronze in-walls, as they are one of the best in-wall speakers out there.

For receiver, I'd attempt to get something with a lot of power, which would mean pioneer or yamaha these days. Refurbished units are almost always a better deal, so something like this: http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ch-x-150-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

jakanala

Auditioning
Real Name
ken
Thanks for responding Dave.

So you recommend the Triad Silver or Bronze for the Left and Right or would I buy one more to place under the screen.

Do you like this screen. We can control the light and make it totally black or leave two windows half covered Do you like the selection Epson 5040 for the projector?

Anything else you can think of to make this an AWESOME SETUP. I appreciate you taking the time out to help me. I'm surprised I've never heard of Triad speakers. You think they are way better than the Martin Logan Electromotion IC and IW?

I'll definitely try to find a local dealer so I can hear them.

Thanks

The screen you have is a fine screen and will work wonderfully as long as you control light somewhat.

Regarding the in-wall speakers, I would look at Triad silver or bronze in-walls, as they are one of the best in-wall speakers out there.

For receiver, I'd attempt to get something with a lot of power, which would mean pioneer or yamaha these days. Refurbished units are almost always a better deal, so something like this: http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ch-x-150-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

TerryAlex

Auditioning
Real Name
Terry
I'm currently having a Sony BDV-E500W (which is a HTiB I bought 7 years ago). I'm an avid music listener but don't have a clue about home audio; however, I can still tell that the system is alright for movies, but it does not give the best sound for music. I want to upgrade to a much better system that can provide outstanding clarity coupled with strong bass and warmth.

What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Everything, asides from TV and Blu-ray player

Primary Use: 90% Music 10% TV (TV is also mainly for music Blu-ray)

Desired Configuration: 2.1 or 3.1 depending on which would give the best sound

Room Size: 10x10

Is the room open to other areas of your home: Yes

What's your budget (low to high): $1000-2000 (but I don't mind if you can also give me a suggestion for an ideal system regardless of price)

Any special requirements? Not really. Thank you so much.

Last edited:

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Everything, asides from TV and Blu-ray player
Primary Use: 90% Music 10% TV (TV is also mainly for music Blu-ray)
Desired Configuration: 2.1 or 3.1 depending on which would give the best sound
Room Size: 10x10 Is the room open to other areas of your home: Yes
Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? No What's your budget (low to high): $1000-2000 Any special requirements? Not really.

I'm not going to do a no budget required setup so I'll stick to the 2k limit for this.

AVR - Denon X1300w $500 or a Marantz NR1506 $500 if you wanted the smaller chassis. You also give up some power, 2 channels, and an optical input.

Speakers
- Pick one of the following options

TerryAlex

Auditioning
Real Name
Terry
Thank you so much for your suggestion, ArmSC. Will be looking into this. :)

Question: Between the two subs, one has less watts power but is the more expensive one. What criteria do we look for in a sub?

Thanks again.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
The NSD is an older design and is slightly larger than the SB-1000. It was limited run for black friday but they are still around and are a very good deal. The SB-1000 just looks a bit nicer IMO and will be smaller so it could fit the decore better.

What criteria depends on what you're going for. Normally you look for good frequency response, plenty of power and a decent sized driver. Servo tech, outs for linking subs, eqs and other gizmos are great add ons. In your case (it sounds like you're looking for justification) you normally want a sealed sub for very tight bass and fast response. Since going down to 20hz isn't a concern with music like HT I figured sealed would be the way to go. (those sealed subs will go plenty deep for HT use just won't get you all the way to 20...but they do get into the 20's so you're fine there) SVS happens to make a few sealed models that are very good for music from what I have read. I've also read that a good ported sub will be just as good (hence the HSU tunable sub) but the old rule of thumb is for music go sealed. SVS has a great return policy so if you get it and don't like it you can always return it. I also linked the upgrade in case you wanted to go that route.

TerryAlex

Auditioning
Real Name
Terry
Thanks for the explanation. Another question: I'm reading that the rule of thumb is to have the watt power of the amp at least 50% more than the speakers. In this case, I read that the Q700 has a 150W RMS and Denon Amp is 80W per channel. Did I read the number incorrectly? Can you explain about this so I can understand?

Also, for music listening, is the center speaker needed? how much more power does it bring compared to a 2.1 set up?

What AWG speaker cable should I get?

I want to understand everything thoroughly before putting in the order. Thanks for your patience and help.

Last edited:

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Thanks for the explanation. Another question:
  1. I'm reading that the rule of thumb is to have the watt power of the amp at least 50% more than the speakers. In this case, I read that the Q700 has a 150W RMS and Denon Amp is 80W per channel. Did I read the number incorrectly? Can you explain about this so I can understand?
  2. Also, for music listening, is the center speaker needed? how much more power does it bring compared to a 2.1 set up?
  3. What AWG speaker cable should I get?
I want to understand everything thoroughly before putting in the order. Thanks for your patience and help.

You're welcome for the help with this.

1. For power forget everything you've read. It's not that important. You just want some good clean power to push you speakers. Most of the time you'll be using less than 30 watts unless you just really like it super loud. The more efficient the speakers the less power you need. The Q700 for instance are not that efficient at 89 but will still be well over 100db/1m with 20watts. Depending on how far you are from the speakers you won't need much more than this to get a good sound. Since you're using an AVR don't worry about the power you'll have plenty for a 10x10 space.
  2. For music the center speaker is not needed but you can use it with a multi-channel stereo mode or a dolby/neo music setting. If you were to put the AVR into a stereo mode the center will not come on. It won't bring any more power to the setup it can bring more volume as you're adding in another speaker. The job of the center speaker is to anchor the dialogue to the screen especially for the off center seating positions. If you have two well placed speakers you get a "phantom center" effect when sitting between them. If you are outside the speakers or if you're to a far side the effect is lessened. This is where the center comes in. I have heard stereo setups that sounded just fine for movies with no center.
  3. The AWG you need depends on the length of the run. For the short runs of the front 3 in a 10x10 space 16AWG would be fine. Don't spend too much on wire as a general rule copper is copper. The mod of this section has used old power cords from appliances, extension cords and lamp cord for speaker connects.

RScooter

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Both

Primary Use: 35% Music, 65% TV & Movies

Desired Configuration: 7.1

Room Size: 12x25 (TV sits against 12' wall), Dropped ceiling is around 7' high

Is the room open to other areas of your home: No - it's a finished basement

What's your budget (low to high): $800 (all in: receiver, sub, speakers, wire, mounts, etc)

Any special requirements (Wife Acceptance)? No

Just bought a house with finished basement. Pioneer Kuro 60" plasma was written into my offer but dummy me didn't write in the surround sound system so seller took it with him (leaving the wires hanging out of walls - looks like he had a 7.1 setup). This room doubles as my office and home theater. I like to listen to music while I read/work down there (mostly classic rock, but I like all genres from classical to rap). I've always been an audiophile just never enough to prioritize it, and before now I've never had a dedicated room and didn't really want ugly entry level speakers decorating my main living area.

- I'd like to go 7.1 (Atmos sounds awesome) unless you think it is better to go 5.1 and buy better quality stuff.

- I'm not opposed to buying used if I can hear it first. Does it make sense to buy better quality used vs. lower quality new?

- Long term I'm likely going to end up buying nicer speakers, but it is unlikely I would ever spend more than $2K-3K on an entire setup.

- I've had my eye on the receiver below. Bad idea to go refurb?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B4FBDU...&ascsubtag=5e2a82a4344fa98283366588ea3d1e08_S

- also had my eye on a used set of 7 Polk Audio TL3 (6 satellite, 1 center), and a Klipsch SW-350 Subwoofer for $500 (might be able to work him down to $400). If in good shape and still sound good should consider?

Last edited:

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Both
Primary Use: 35% Music, 65% TV & Movies Desired Configuration: 7.1
Room Size:
12x25 (TV sits against 12' wall), Dropped ceiling is around 7' high
Is the room open to other areas of your home: No - it's a finished basement
What's your budget (low to high): $800 (all in: receiver, sub, speakers, wire, mounts, etc)
Any special requirements (Wife Acceptance)? No

- I'd like to go 7.1 (Atmos sounds awesome) unless you think it is better to go 5.1 and buy better quality stuff.
- I'm not opposed to buying used if I can hear it first. Does it make sense to buy better quality used vs. lower quality new?
- Long term I'm likely going to end up buying nicer speakers, but it is unlikely I would ever spend more than $2K-3K on an entire setup.
- I've had my eye on the receiver below. Bad idea to go refurb?
- also had my eye on a used set of 7 Polk Audio TL3 (6 satellite, 1 center), and a Klipsch SW-350 Subwoofer for $500 (might be able to work him down to $400). If in good shape and still sound good should consider?

Here are my thoughts.
  • I would go with a 5.1 for now and expand to the 7.1 you're looking for later. Get a better foundation and build upon it vs getting lower stuff just to get more speakers.
  • If you can get good quality used gear you can certainly come out ahead. Like anything it's a gamble. I would be more inclined to go with used speaker provided they are in good shape vs electronics. I think for that I would rather go with refurb or new.
  • Atmos is normally height and above. A typical 7.1 is rear surrounds in addition to the side surrounds. Adding speakers in the ceiling could be more tricking for some than others so keep this in mind.
  • You will probably upgrade a few times but if you get decent gear upfront you will be less tempted...trust me on this.
  • Going refurb is a great way to get more/better gear for your money. The AVR you linked has a 1-2 month ship time you can find better deals going to a site like Accessories4less.com.
  • If you want to go with the speakers that you have found then you certainly can do that. The TL3 were Polks upgraded sats in the TL line and sounded ok but will require a high crossover point as they don't go very low. However, you love the way they sound go for it I think you could probably get better shopping around.
Here is what I would do (not accounting for used)

AVR - Denon S710W refurb $260 7.2 atmos AVR so you can grow the system if you wanted into a 7.2 or a 5.2.2 if you desired.

Speakers - Going with something affordable and efficient as that's a pretty large space. I won't go horn since not all folks like horns but most don't mind a dome tweeter. Total: $765 so you have just enough left for any wire, cables, stands, or mounts you might need. Simply add another set of DV62's for rears if you want to upgrade or just another set of 32s. The 32's should also work for ceiling mounted speakers as they are very small.

RScooter

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Here are my thoughts.
  • I would go with a 5.1 for now and expand to the 7.1 you're looking for later. Get a better foundation and build upon it vs getting lower stuff just to get more speakers.
  • If you can get good quality used gear you can certainly come out ahead. Like anything it's a gamble. I would be more inclined to go with used speaker provided they are in good shape vs electronics. I think for that I would rather go with refurb or new.
  • Atmos is normally height and above. A typical 7.1 is rear surrounds in addition to the side surrounds. Adding speakers in the ceiling could be more tricking for some than others so keep this in mind.
  • You will probably upgrade a few times but if you get decent gear upfront you will be less tempted...trust me on this.
  • Going refurb is a great way to get more/better gear for your money. The AVR you linked has a 1-2 month ship time you can find better deals going to a site like Accessories4less.com.
  • If you want to go with the speakers that you have found then you certainly can do that. The TL3 were Polks upgraded sats in the TL line and sounded ok but will require a high crossover point as they don't go very low. However, you love the way they sound go for it I think you could probably get better shopping around.
Here is what I would do (not accounting for used)

AVR - Denon S710W refurb $260 7.2 atmos AVR so you can grow the system if you wanted into a 7.2 or a 5.2.2 if you desired.

Speakers - Going with something affordable and efficient as that's a pretty large space. I won't go horn since not all folks like horns but most don't mind a dome tweeter. Total: $765 so you have just enough left for any wire, cables, stands, or mounts you might need. Simply add another set of DV62's for rears if you want to upgrade or just another set of 32s. The 32's should also work for ceiling mounted speakers as they are very small.

Thank you ArmSC! I'm going to jump on the Denon today. You saved me $$$ on that one vs. my Amazon link and probably more importantly I won't have to wait until April to get it. Many thanks!

Just out of curiosity, is my space to narrow and long for side speakers? Previous guy had them hooked up there but as I've been thinking more about this it had crossed my mind that they were going to be sitting on top of me.

If I were to add a set of DV62's in the rear and put the DV32's on the ceiling, should I position them in front of my seating or behind? (My couches are closer to the TV than they are to the back of the room).

Again, can't thank you enough. I'll be sure to report back when everything is up and running.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
You're very welcome for the help. I hope that you get the AVR before they run out of stock.

I would setup the system with home theater in mind because ambient music for the space will be handled by just about any speaker placement in a multi-channel stereo mode. I would put the rears slightly behind the couch or to the side of it either at ear level or higher depending on how you want to mount them. For the atmos speakers you're supposed to put the speakers slightly ahead of the listening position. If you're using height you have to go a bit wider and several feet higher than the mains. Here is a dolby guide for placement for a 5.1.2 setup.

You don't have to use a second set of DV62's but it would sound better for multi-channel stereo having them back there. The DV32's will get the job done you just won't get as much bass from them so the sub will have to pick up the slack. If you do get 2 sets with that center you should be able to cross the sub quite low which will really help it disappear.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks