The Official "What Speakers or Subwoofer Should I Buy" Assistance Thread

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Dave Upton, May 13, 2016.

1. ArmSC

ArmSC Supporting Actor

Tony
    I completely agree with you about that. I like the Onkyo Pre-Packs except for the ones with the passive sub. All the ones that I found were out of the OP's budget.

2. stevenHa

stevenHa Stunt Coordinator

I am looking to setup a quality entry level sound system in my living room for both watching movies and listening to cds. The enclosed (not open) room is approximately 26 x 12 feet and is functionally divided in half (along the 26 foot length) – one half is for media and the other half is for general use. My plan is to get a wall mounted 65 inch LG B OLED above a table that is 5 feet wide. The viewers will be seated about 6 feet from the tv. Would an Oppo UDP-203 be all I need for both blu rays and cds? One possibility I was considering is putting on the table 2 M22s and a VP100 linked with an Hsu sub (which size for this setup?). I was also wondering if I went instead with 2 M60’s (could they be placed to the sides of the table and not in front of it as there is not enough room?) and with these would I still want a center speaker and a subwoofer? How is speaker placement determined for best sound in this situation? I was also wondering if I should consider Andrew Jones speakers/subs? What would I use for power/amplifier and a good receiver? I am looking to spend approximately $1500 or so. Thanks so much for your help.

3. Marcassa

Marcassa Auditioning

Gabriel
    Hi everyone,

I am new here and I need a little help from you guys.

I am moving to a new apartment and would like to get a new setup. My budget is low, but I guess and hope that it would be enough.
    The room is around 10 feet wide, 9 feet deep and 7 feet high and I already have the TV, it is a Samsung 55" 4K.
    I was planning to spend around $1000 total and the main use will be for movies e music concerts.
    My main questions are regarding speakers. Is it to bad to use in-ceiling as front and central speakers? Should I go for bookshelf ones?
    Since I am new to home theater I am not sure if it will all work well and correctly.

Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR656 $299 at acessories4less
    Receiver: Polk Audio PSW10 $104 at Amazon
    Speakers: No idea until now

Additionaly, I would like to have 2 speakers in my balcony, so the receiver should have a Zone 2 function.

Any ideas?
    Which online stores should I consider? I do not live in the US, but I can buy it online, send it to a friend's house and pick it up during my vacation.
    Is it possible to get a cheaper receiver that will suit my needs?

Thanks for the help!

What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Everything

Primary Use: 50% Music, 50% TV & Movies

Desired Configuration: 5.1 + 2.0 Zone 2

Room Size: 10x9

Is the room open to other areas of your home: Yes

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? No

What's your budget (low to high): $1000

Any special requirements (Wife Acceptance)? Nope

4. ArmSC

ArmSC Supporting Actor

Tony
    Hey Steven, if you fill out the form that is provided at the front of this thread it would be much easier to help you. If you could also include links for the speakers you're referring to that would also be very helpful so that we could see the models you're talking about.

5. stevenHa

Ok, hopefully this is better...

I am looking to setup a quality entry level sound system. My plan is to get a wall mounted 65 inch LG B OLED above a table that is 5 feet wide. The viewers will be seated about 6 feet from the tv. Would an Oppo UDP-203 be all I need for both blu rays and cds? One possibility I was considering is putting on the table 2 Axiom M22s bookshelfs and a VP100 linked with an Hsu sub (which size for this setup?). I was also wondering if I went instead with 2 Axiom M60 towers (could they be placed to the sides of the table and not in front of it as there is not enough room?) and with these would I still want a center speaker and a subwoofer? How is speaker placement determined for best sound in this situation? I was also wondering if I should consider Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers/subs? What would I use for power/amplifier and a good receiver? Thanks so much for your help.

What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Both

Primary Use: 40% Music, 60% TV & Movies

Desired Configuration: 2.1 (would I need a center speaker ?)

Room Size: 26x12 (half is for media, half for general use)

Is the room open to other areas of your home: No

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? no

What's your budget (low to high): $1500-2500

6. ArmSC

ArmSC Supporting Actor

Tony
    Unless you can aim the speakers toward the listening position I would pass on using the ceiling speakers for the front three. If you don't tilt them toward the listening position then all the sound will be right in front of the TV, it won't get directed to when you are sitting. This is going to sound terrible. You also have to run the wires into the ceiling. It's much easier to run the wires along the base boards than it is going into the wall and into the ceiling for most people. If you really wanted to use ceiling speakers you could for surround but I would just stick with sats/books.

Assuming all US based retailers here is what I would look at.
    I went with these speakers because they are smaller but still sound good. This setup also gives you some room in your budget to get any cables and wire you might need. You'll also want to think about some wall mounts or stands for the speakers.

Marcassa likes this.
  7. 127 Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Marcassa

Marcassa Auditioning

Gabriel
    Thank you @ArmSC!

I guess that the est option will be books+central in the front and in-ceiling as surrond/rear speakers.
    Considering this setup, do you have any sugestions?

For the sub, should I go for a BIC instead of a Polk? And for the receiver, is the S720W better than the TX-NR656?

8. ArmSC

ArmSC Supporting Actor

Tony
    I would certainly think so. From what I know the Oppo is the standard for disc players for video. For audio I would imagine they are just as good as the other top manufacturers.

Most of the time you get the largest most powerful sub your budget allows you to. "I have too much sub" said no one, ever. In this case it would depend on how much you have left after purchasing the other gear. I would think the VTF-2 Mk5 would be a good starting point.

You could place them on the sides of the table just keep in mind that you might not be getting optimal sound from them being so close to the wall.
    Would you still want a center? Depends on where your seating positions are and how it sounds to be honest. The center is to anchor the dialogue to the screen for the off center seating positions. If you have one couch straight in front of the TV chances are you probably won't need one. The other benefit of a center is being able to increase the dialog for movie/tv watching. That being said I've not had any issues with a good 2.0/2.1 setup most of the time.
    Would you still want a sub? I would say yes you would for TV and movies. The M60's +/-3 is listed at 40hz. While low I don't know that it will reach low enough to give you the impact that a subwoofer will give you.

You get the speakers hooked up and start to move them around. Every room is different so there's no clear way to tell you what's going to work best in your room.

While good I would not consider these for this project. They are very good entry level speakers that would work great for someone with a much smaller budget then what you're working with. With the funds that you have I would get much better speakers than those. That way you're not buying speakers again.

I think a nice AVR is where you need to be with this project. This will give you the option to grow into a center or surrounds if you like. It will also provide room correction and bass management. These are something a receiver/amplifier won't have.

Considering all this I would look at this as a possible option. Everyone likes something different so what I pick out are just suggestions. Please audition speakers to see what you like.

AVR - Denon X1300w refurb $360 - Nice 7.2 AVR with Audyssey Silver and many other good features.

Speakers - Here are some options. Yes I'm very KEF focused as the Q series/LS50 are still on sale.
    1. KEF Q700 Rosewood $500ea - Towers that use radiators so that you can put them closer to the wall with less ill effects.
    2. KEF Q100 $300pr - Great sounding bookshelf that should blend well with any subwoofer. Looks like they are sold out at the factory store so don't take took long thinking about this on. Q200 center $400 if you wanted to add a center into the mix.
    3. KEF Q300 $400pr - The larger brother to the Q100 still on sale. The larger driver will play a bit lower if you're more into 2.0 music listening. These also use the Q200 center if you wanted a 3.1
    4. KEF LS50 refurb $1000 (new on sale for $1200) - Some of the best 2.0 speakers to come out in recent years. Many people's benchmark speaker for audio.
    Subs - the usually suspects from HSU, SVS or Rythmik. What speakers you choose will determine what you have left in the budget for subs. I'm thinking SVS SB/PB-2000, Rythmik LV12R/LVX12, or HSU VTF-2/3 Mk5. $600-800

9. ArmSC

ArmSC Supporting Actor

Tony
    If you're just aching to have ceiling speakers go for it. I don't have any experience with them other than listening to some where I thought they sounded bad. YMMV.
    I linked what I think would be a good option for you. However, there are so many combinations that you could do. What I think sounds good may not be what you think sounds good. If you like Polk, go Polk. If you want Onkyo go Onkyo.

Marcassa likes this.
  10. stevenHa

Thanks so much - with this setup what other equipment do I need - do I need a power source for the speakers and if so what model ?

11. ArmSC

ArmSC Supporting Actor

Tony
    You're very welcome for the help. The only other things that you will need are cables for your sources, speaker wire, speaker stands if you go with a bookshelf option and a subwoofer cable. The power source for the speakers (amp) will be the AVR.

12. 132 Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    stevenHa

I assume I can put the bookshelf speakers on the table that will be below the tv ? Can I use the Q200 with the KEF LS50's ? Of course I'll try to listen to both if I can beforehand but what would be the difference between the KEF Q300 and the KEF LS50 ? Thanks again.

13. ArmSC

ArmSC Supporting Actor

Tony
    You can put the speakers there. The good thing about the Q100/300 is they are a co-axial design so you can orient the speaker either vertically or horizontally with no ill effect. The front port also helps because you can put them against the wall. Just be sure to get them as far apart as you can. Generally the further apart you can get them the better.

You can but I wouldn't recommend it. If choosing the LS50 I would run them in a 2.1 to meet your budget needs. If you really have to have a center then the recommended speaker would be another LS50 no a Q series center. Of course others have mixed different brands of centers into their system and have liked it so you can do whatever you like. If you do go with the Q200 at least it will be the same brand and it should have a closer timbre match than another brand.

The LS50 was a signature speaker that they came out with a few years ago. It's a true "hi-fi" speaker that features a lot of technology that KEF used to get a . The cabinet is far superior to the Q series. The Uni-Q driver is supposed to be much better contrary to looks. It's a different class of speaker from the Q series. The Q series would be a level 3 speaker this would be like a level 5 speaker. (Just for illustration purposes there is not official rating of speakers) The Q series is the entry level speaker from KEF that uses the Uni-Q driver. They sound fantastic and will do a wonderful job in any system. I have no problem recommending them as I think you will be very happy with these. However, the LS50 is on another level.

14. crainone

crainone Auditioning

Chris
    What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Both (possibly)

Primary Use: 30% Music, 70% TV & Movies (primary use will be watching TV, but have occasional movie watching, possibly weekend music(crank it up)).

Desired Configuration: 5.1

Room Size: 18x17

Is the room open to other areas of your home: Yes, kitchen. See picture below.

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? Need a new one.

What's your budget (low to high): $1000-1500

Any special requirements (Wife Acceptance)? Just a few comments...
    AVR:
    • Need 4k support w/ up-to-date HDMI I/O (2.0a/HDCP 2.2?).
    • HDMI Standby Pass-Through (from what I am reading, this will allow me to watch cable/TV while not using the the audio coming from the TV. Would like to listen to music while watching TV)
    • ARC
    • Apple AirPlay (I would ideally like to play music from my iPhone or any phone from around the house (love Sonos). Not sure if there is another feature that can do this)
    • **Dolby Atmos: still trying to figure out if this is worth anything in my home setup. Doing a bunch of reading and it seems more for professional theater use/speakers. Any input here?
    Speakers:
    • I don't know if this is possible, but really like the soundbar LOOK, as I am mounting the TV (65" KS8000) above the fireplace and would like to have something as long as the soundbars to be under the TV (have a separate mount on the mount). I don't want a soundbar as I want the 5.1 home theater set up. Any recommendations would be great. Would like bookshelf speakers, as there is going to be shelving on each side of the fireplace. Need in-wall speakers for the surround (not in ceiling, in the wall behind people but same height as regular wall). The room is already pre-wired for a 5.1 home theater system. Check out the below image:
    upload_2017-4-24_10-36-17.png
    • Would like to have an easy way to listen to TV (not needing surround sound, nor the L/R speakers?), listening to music (just the L/C/R speakers w/ sub?), then full 5.1 with movie.
    What I have now: Not sure if you would recommend a different sub or if the one I have is good. Would like to do this entire new system right, so looking forward to the recommendation.

Lastly, any chance you can provide your recommendation then a slightly better one (even if the cost exceeds my max)?

Thanks! Really appreciate the help!

15. Big Sal

Big Sal Auditioning

Lascelles McCarthy III
    Greeting an Thanks in advance for the input.

What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Both

Primary Use: 100% TV & Movies

Desired Configuration: 5.2.2 (ceiling speakers)

Room Size: 19x13

Is the room open to other areas of your home: No It's a media room

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? Yes denon x1400h

What's your budget (low to high): $1000-$1500

Any special requirements (Wife Acceptance)?

16. Dave Upton

Dave Upton Audiophile
    Owner

Dave Upton
    Hey Sal,

Do you want all 7 speakers to be in-ceiling? What about the subs, can they be separate or do they have t be in-ceiling/wall?

Big Sal likes this.
  17. Big Sal

Big Sal Auditioning

Lascelles McCarthy III
    Dave

So the media room is prewired for in wall. So the front L,R and rear L,R are facing at one another on opposing walls. I'll have to cut in the center channel. So I was only thinking to out the remaining 2 in ceiling or then atmos setup. The subs are separate I was thinking a down firing sub for the rear and a front firing to place under the center channel.

18. Dave Upton

Dave Upton Audiophile
    Owner

Dave Upton
    Sam Posten likes this.
  19. porterdavidm

porterdavidm Auditioning

David Porter
    What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)?
    Left / Center / Right + Sub (Niles in-ceiling rear surrounds left by previous home owner).

Primary Use:
    60% Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, TV + 40% movies via Blu-ray and Amazon.

Desired Configuration:

Room Size:
    20 x 14 (TV is mounted on the 14' wall. Seating position is 4' from rear wall).

Is the room open to other areas of your home:
    Basement room. The stairs to the first floor land in the far left of the room.

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier?
    No. But considering Anthem MRX-520

What's your budget (low to high):
    Up to $5,000 (incl. AVR).

Any special requirements (Wife Acceptance)?
    1) TV is mounted on wall, so would prefer on-wall speakers vs. towers.
    2) TV is mounted at eye-level, so center channel would most likely need to go above TV.
    3) AVR should have 4K capability.

I'm not new to lurking in HTF forums. I'm not new to reading speaker and AVR reviews on-line. But, I am new to having the space and the finances to allow me to invest in a dedicated space. So, I need help really understanding what I should be paying attention to as I make my selections. My AV guy has recommended Golden Ear SuperSat 60's + Golden Ear sub. Or an alternative NOT on the wall would be Paradigm or Dynaudio towers. I do like the Golden Ear design for on-wall, but not sure about the quality of the build or sound or whether they legit make good equipment or pay high SPIF's to their dealers.

Any help is VERY MUCH appreciated.

Thanks.

David

20. Dave Upton

Dave Upton Audiophile
    Owner

Dave Upton
    Are you OK with a separate sub, or does that have to be in-wall too?